2001 Space Station WIP

WOOOOOOOW! :eek
Now that's a model you don't see built often.. or never?!?
It looks beautiful and clean! I would have never guessed you don't use models for parts. Those greeblies look very interesting!

Really cool! And where are you going to put this monster???:lol

Gattaca, maybe I should put a disclaimer: "No kits were harmed/used during the construction":D I'm just using a lot of greeblies that you'll find in computers/T.V,/cassette players, household products, make-up, shampoo, razor blades, etc...The list is very long!

WOW, that's even more impressive! I'll have to learn to look for those types of things for my models. Keep it up!

Thanks guys:) Many have tried over the years to build one (albeit not in the scale of the movie) and many failed. Yes, it's a beast, the detailing is insane and I'm only at my first complete module...now I have to do the exact same thing for the other one:rolleyes If I had a team working with me, this would've been completed faster (I'm aiming at December to have a complete station). I'm finishing some detailing of the rings around the spokes and the "connectors" at the end of said spokes. After that: paint and pics.

Finally got a sense of scale of the project with you next to it and it's awesome. Would be cool if you added a stepper motor for a slow rotation.
Very nice.

Rob

Thanks for the feed-back guys...yes, stepper motor would be good for even turns. I'll try to hurry with the 2nd module (since the problems with the 1st are solved already!):)

Well folks, that's it for the first module: the struts for the "bridges"between each spoke are done, as well as the cones. (I'll place the bridges and the tensing cable units at the end of the build...don't want to knock those while I'm still building the main rim:rolleyes).
Last pics before radio silence; no need to do a repeat of my previous posts; the second module is a repeat of the first anyway.

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

Thanks guys! As you see in those last pics, the sun was the only source of light...I'll experiment with black fabric later to see how I can best photograph that model;)

Thanks guys! As you see in those last pics, the sun was the only source of light...I'll experiment with black fabric later to see how I can best photograph that model;)

As the only source of light, that's exactly how it would look in space. Sent a little bit of a chill when I really looked at it! :)

This thread needs to play Johann Strauss' "The Blue Danube Waltz"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CTYymbbEL4

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back