2001 Space Station WIP

Thanks guys, it's always appreciated. This model keeps on giving;)...in terms of greeblies of course. After the weathering of the two modules, I'll attack the "Under Construction" part of the wheel...got to figure out some of the stuff they used to make some of the pieces.

Really a wonderful build! and thank you for documenting the process too.

Your detailing looks very well done. The parts are arranged like they actually might do something. They have a functional look.

It makes me happy that there will be at least one of these space station models in the world.

Thanks for your comments guys...and now for the next installment:) As you know, I'm building the "Under Construction Rim" of the model. Here's the first one (all the sides are featured). I'll have another 3 to build (thank God, one is made out completely of scaffoldings).
050.JPG 051.JPG 052.JPG 053.JPG 054.JPG 055.JPG

I am absolutely numb :eek it is really .... REALLY impressive. Do carve the details yourself ? or do you bash model kits ? I never understand where you guys get these super details from ... this is seriously a cool project, im blown away. good job.

Thanks guys for the comments...and yes Stormtripper, I'm cutting all the panelling by hand. I have 7 patterns to choose (from very small squares to bigger panels; the bigger panel is 4 cm X 2cm). I use some computer components also (laptops mostly) and plastic stoppers you'll see on ink cartridges made for photocopy/fax machines;).
The majority of the panelling is made out of Bristol board and cardboard. I use Krylon mat white and then weathering with make-up (Mac powder eye-shadow manly).

Oh hell. I think this has just become my favourite build thread out of all the threads, on all the forums there are. A real work of art, Joberg. What scale would you say this beast is, approximately?

Outstanding work on an amazing model. 2001 is my all-time favorite movie. I've built a number of models from the movie in 3D using Cinema 4D. Here is a video I did as an homage to 2001.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is such an impressive build! PLEASE dont put in your backyard face down when you're finished! ;)

Happy New Year to you and yours! Be Safe!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back