2001 Space Station WIP

049.JPG Here's the latest news! Scaffolding designs (I did 7, but there's 10 for one 1/4 rim and quite a few repeats of course). Those are placed in between the rims and facing the Station's movement (from left to right). Next will be to measure and place all of those + floors, re-bars, greeblies, etc.

The scaffolding parts look very nice. just a question about if it were the real thing, are the areas inside the green boxes (attached pic) temporary?

i mean people would need to get past those structures or are the rectangular holes large enough? not sure about scale of a human.

amazing build please keep at it.

-z

Attachments

• GREEN BOXES.jpg
    GREEN BOXES.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 232
Thanks for the feedback guys:) Zorg, I've asked myself the very same question. By looking at the photo of the model in Stanley Kubrick book by Taschen, I came to the conclusion that it's only for effect and nothing else. A window, on the model, is 2cm X 1/5cm. So I would need a figure of about one cm high:eek...still not going through those little rectangles placed on the scaffoldings:confused

so it wasn't a stupid question then. :p

how about an opening at the yellow box creating a corridor (pic attached) that way people and equipment could travel around?

Attachments

• yellow box.jpg
    yellow box.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 177
Good idea zorg, but I'm afraid that the whole design for those are set in stone;) There's a painting, in the book I've mentioned, of workers outside of the Space Station floating in space and placing the girders and scaffoldings. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow.

Fantastic build, a real showcase for your considerable skills. Your scaffolding looks accurate to me, consistent with published images. It looks an extremely good reproduction of the original model.

That's all that matters, but for anyone that is obsessed......

Generally the Space Station is described as "1000 foot diameter" so the "busy" planes, as zorg said, don't seem to have human sized gaps, but that's how they were.

The interior set is usually reported as an arc 30 feet by 150 feet based on a circumference (at floor level) of 3000 feet projecting a diameter of 955 feet ."2001:The Lost Science" places the Hotels on the Inner Rim . Since a 1000 foot external diameter would give a circumference of 3141 feet, the interior set broadly supports the 1000 foot diameter Space Station sizing.

However, there are many who argue that the physics of artificial gravity and the comparative size of the Orion and Aries dictate a Space Station of upto 3000 foot diameter is required. Ian "Stargazer" Walsh finally estimates 1836 foot diameter. Obviously, with a much bigger Space Station the gaps in the scaffolding become big enough for humans...but not neccesarily consistent with the interior set !

I believe that the models of the (whole) Space Station, Orion and Aries were all filmed seperately, never any two together. Kubrick manipulated images, not models, to create the shots. I read somewhere that for the Blue Danube sequence the Orion was shrunk until Kubrick felt the shot looked right, effectively increasing the Space Station's size.

Last edited:
Thanks JHY:) For someone who was really particular about the models (every sides had to be completely finished, just in case Stanley wanted to film on another angle). But something happened with the Space Station; they just made one "plug" i.e. face of the module containing the landing bay. That module was lit normally (bright yellowish lighting on film) and for the sequence of the "rear" of the Station (that is the "under construction" part) the "plug" was simply switched around, placed at the rear and was lit in a red lighting.
You can see clearly in the movie that the plug is missing from the model when in that position:behave...don't know why they didn't built a second plug with its landing bay. Mystery!

Very sexy...:cool
I was wondering, what kind of glue are you using? I remember you said that you use computer greeblies, and random stuff like that, so what kind of glue holds it all together strongly?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back