2001 Space Station WIP

Thanks metal wood...I'll have to perform surgery on the bottom of the scaffolding; on the original model, some of the lower arcs are not built. So it's going to be more accurate:)

001.JPG Surgery was performed and it's looking more like the real model now. I'm almost finished the other side and some of the arcs are going to be removed also...stay tuned:)

Thanks guys. The second quarter is getting done (since I'm using spaghetti to do the re-bars, I'm going the re-name this thread: the Spasta Station;))
More pics soon!

Joberg, this is mind boggingly good ! Glad that I don't have to make it a stand or case !

Re yours of 25th March: that's the first I recall hearing about the "only one plug". Do you recall where that info came from? Now when I see the rear red lit hub face, the other end hub does look to be missing depth and a section ! Maybe the thinking was that only one end would ever be visible at a time (true) and that no one would notice (false).

The photos of the abandoned model at www.visual-memory.co.uk seem to show the mounting plate about flush with the rear hub end line without the plug, presumably the front was the same, so the plug had to be removed to access the mounting plate,......but they didn't need a second plug with face plate detail etc , just a ring ! Very odd.

001.JPG Thanks for the comment guys:) JHY, as you can see from this pic (plug is at the bottom left) my theory about the "lone plug" is the right one. Let's examine the facts: the Space Station was finished and dressed on all sides, since it's revolving constantly in front of the camera (it had to be).
Now, if you're filming the front of the model, you'll never see the back and vice-versa of course. The front plug (fully dressed) served as the rear plug. All they had to do was: move the model and now attach the front to the stand and place the front plug to the back, light it with red and voilà!
The mounting plate that we see is not really flush with the module (the pic seems to show that, but that's an optical illusion, it's recessed but not by much...maybe 1/4 inch max, which could explain one of my other theory: the back of the landing bay can be removed; but I'll have to confirm that). Another challenge when building this model is that the front is different than the back. If both rings had been built, there wouldn't had to remove anything from anywhere:)...just changing the lighting of the landing bay, that's all.

Last edited:
Joberg, thanks for the pic from25th April. Something rang a bell about a single plug and sure enough page 90 of "2001: The Lost Science" shows the plug under construction and confirms the intent to use it either end ! Gold Star to Joberg! Fantastic build.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back