My ANH OWK lightsaber cut away project

ATL Kenobi

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Making a cut away isn't all that difficult. :) All you have to do is buy perfectly good saber parts and cut them in half :lol .
cuttingparts.JPG

cuttingparts2.JPG

cuttingparts3.JPG

cutawayprogress.jpg

I probably have a couple months worth of work to do before it's completed. I need to add some more greeblies, 2 more LEDs, and some lamps. No batteries here. It'll be mounted on a base that will contain a 2 amp power supply.

Many thanks to Howard for inspiration, direction, and cutting techniques. And thanks to Darth Lars for advice on thermal considerations for the 5 Watt Luxeon LED.

ATL

AAAACKKKK.... You cut up Obi saber parts. :eek

On the other hand, your cutaway looks wickedly cool.... :love

Are you going to make the other half a cut away as well?

You guys with your saws. That is looking really great. My jaw was on the floor at first when I thought that was an older AS. :lol

By the way, you better watch out with the whole saw thing. Howard's gotten so good that he's now addicted to the process. He saws for fun now. Just the other day he brought a huge piece of dirty old lumber into the house and sawed it up, and then since it was now 'handiwork' he insisted on mounting it on the wall.

Also there have been some mysterious sawing incidents around the area and the neighbors are getting suspicious.

A man with a saw is a dangerous thing. :p

Whoa. I just spent ten minutes looking at the pictures. It is seriously promising. :thumbsup
I like what you have done with the grenade stem.

Im in two minds over this, on one side im thinking cutting up these beautiful parts is utter madness :wacko and the other half of me is thinking, WOW this is awesome..... :eek

still getting over the initial shock of seeing the post...I'll try and post an intelligent comment once my mind sorts out what my eyes are looking at

i just threw up a little... :eek:

why didnt you take your parts and recast them in resin or something?

you know how hard ive been lookin for a real graflex clamp?

i mean its gonna be awesome for sure... but my heart kinda sank when i opened this thread. :cry

Fantastic.. These are the newest thing to really set the bar to the highest level. You might as well make two while your at it....sell one and still have on left :lol

Steve

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Motive-Alloy @ Feb 21 2007, 01:10 PM) [snapback]1423517[/snapback]</div>
Are you going to make the other half a cut away as well?
[/b]
I hadn' t thought of that. Actually, as Howard did, I was just going to use the "other half" as the cover to be removed to reveal the innards.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Serafino @ Feb 21 2007, 01:39 PM) [snapback]1423533[/snapback]</div>
My jaw was on the floor at first when I thought that was an older AS. :lol
[/b]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oldken @ Feb 21 2007, 06:01 PM) [snapback]1423748[/snapback]</div>
you know how hard ive been lookin for a real graflex clamp?
[/b]
Except for the newer style all plastic AS handwheel, all the saber parts are reproductions from Roman's Empire or Blast-tech. I couldn't even bring myself to cut-up one of my Serafino boosters :) .

ATL

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Serafino @ Feb 21 2007, 08:52 PM) [snapback]1423623[/snapback]</div>
By the way, you better watch out with the whole saw thing. Howard's gotten so good that he's now addicted to the process. He saws for fun now. Just the other day he brought a huge piece of dirty old lumber into the house and sawed it up, and then since it was now 'handiwork' he insisted on mounting it on the wall.

A man with a saw is a dangerous thing. :p
[/b]

:lol

Funny thing is - it's all true. :confused
Long story - not for this thread.

Mike - great work indeed.
I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished design.
Oh, and sorry I'm late to this thread - so many objects to saw, such little time...
:p

[/quote]
Except for the newer style all plastic AS handwheel, all the saber parts are reproductions from Roman's Empire or Blast-tech. I couldn't even bring myself to cut-up one of my Serafino boosters :) .

ATL
[/quote]

whew good to know.

and it does look great. it will be awesome, cant wait.

but upon my first view i was a little scared. LOL.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ThermalShock @ Feb 23 2007, 06:32 PM) [snapback]1425225[/snapback]</div>
Is that a Parks saber? The grenade section?
[/b]
It actually is a Roman's #3 MK1 that I had a machinist bore the 3/8" hole out to 1". I gave some serious thought to drilling that myself, but since the #3s are no longer available from Romans, I didn't want to chance messing it up.

ATL

I've made some progress on the emitter.

I'm thinking the 16 holes should have a purpose, so I put a little "sensor" behind each hole. I imagine they detect the plasma beam and make minute corrections to the focusing reflector around the output gem to keep the beam length constant. :p
emitterprogress.JPG

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back