Adhering Urethane Rubber to Fabric (Help)

The Prop Lord

So I'm making a bunch of Urethane pieces for various costumes I'm making for my family. I should have thought of it before making everything, but I failed to think of how to attach said Urethane Rubber pieces on.

I've looked around but I cant find anything conclusive.

I grabbed a tube of Loctite on my last incursion to Joann's, but according to the back, it is recommended for pretty much every material, except: Urethane Rubber.

Another design flaw I had, was how do I keep the suit clean? Can the rubber survive a trip through the clothes washer? I brought the emblems to school and one of my friends threw it across the room several times without causing any damage to the piece. So, I'm thinking maybe?

I'm using VytaFlex Shore 40 Urethane Rubber from Smooth-On.

Bonding the Urethane to Urethane would be nice too, as these pieces in particular, are separated:

2014-03-15 22.38.02.jpg2014-03-15 22.38.34.jpg2014-03-15 22.38.58.jpg2014-03-15 22.39.22.jpg

I would assume just adding more Urethane to the sides that need to be "glued" will result in peeling.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Urethane rubber really doesn't stick to anything. You can't paint it or glue it with any confidence. One thing you can do is press fabric into it while it's still casting, as it will soak into the fabric and adhere that way, if your molds would allow that.

Thanks for the input.

I am curious though, why do some prop makers on this forum, sell urethane rubber pieces. Such as Man of Steel "S" chest piece, with the intent of it being attached to the suit in some way.

Thanks for the input.

I am curious though, why do some prop makers on this forum, sell urethane rubber pieces. Such as Man of Steel "S" chest piece, with the intent of it being attached to the suit in some way.

I've gotten fine results using CA glue in several separate dots to adhere urethane rubber to fabric (dots allow the fabric and urethane to stretch and move in the areas that aren't adhered). Just be careful/don't use it on cotton (where it has a strong exothermic reaction with CA glue).

Barge is hands down (IMO) the best contact adhesive on the market currently.

I've also had quite a bit of success using Ure-Bond from Smooth-On.

Freesole. It's a urethane adhesive designed for shoes. I took urethane rubber pieces that I made for a Batman costume and mounted them through mesh net to a wetsuit, hooked all three together and that **** doesn't budge.

Ok, I found Freesole from Gear Aid on Amazon. It works brilliantly. I believe the Urethane Rubber will tear before the glue comes off.

I highly recommend this for anyone else who had the same question as I did.

Thanks guys!

Has anyone had any luck with E-6000?
I know its popular with the Stormtrooper guys for adhering their armor (plastic) pieces. The spec sheet says it can adhere to rubber and wondered if anyone had any experience with it? I'm going to try a test area tonight and see how a velcro strip adhere to the urethane rubber gauntlets from my TDK suit.

Freesole has been ordered! Wish it came in a bigger quantity.

Hey Prop Lord, so the Freesole worked great on the urethane rubber and fabric? Because I am trying to glue these glove guards to my gloves I bought and tried Wellwood contact cement and didn't hold. So really need something that will work. Please let me know if it worked. Thanks

I swear by Freesole. It's cheaper than the super expensive (but instant) version that most "hollywood" prop makers use. It's something like Loctite 77 plus another Loctite glue. It runs something like $20 for .10 oz. Freesole runs $7-9 for 1 oz. And 1oz can stretch.

I buy mine in bulk here: https://vtarmynavy.com/freesole-reg;-shoe-repair

Nothing weird like waiting X amount of time before you can piece things together.

Put the glue on, slap the part down (put a weight on it so it has even pressure if possible), then wait 6-8 hours.

IMG_0335.JPGIMG_0335.JPG

Thanks for the response Prop Lord. I wanted to show you these are the glove and glove guard, so you think the Freesole will glue them together.

I don't see why not. I had a single instance of the glue delaminating from a button snap I glued to some fabric. It was mainly because the button snap was so smooth. In every other case, faux leather, urethane rubber, and the like all tear or break before the glue lets go.

If you're worried it won't stick, sand the inside of the hard part of the glove with, pretty much any grit sand paper, then apply the glue. Just think ahead because it's going to take a good 8~ hours to cure/dry.

I've been trying to stick rubber to fabric using Barge cement, and unfortunately it won't stay. Any ideas how I could glue my pieces (back to the future 2015 jacket belts and cuffs)?

Thanks

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back