Psychic Paper Build - My first real prop!

ZennDarkfire

So after binge watching all of the new seasons of Doctor Who a few months back, I decided that I wanted to make some Doctor Who props. Among them were some custom sonics, a 9th Doctor costume, and some Psychic Paper. Since I'm still relatively new to the world of prop making, I figured starting with the Psychic Paper would probably be the easiest.

To begin I went to my local crafts store and purchased some supplies. I picked up two sheets of leather and some scrapbooking dividers. I needed these because I wanted my psychic paper to have a pocket where I could write things and slide them into place of the normally blank paper. I also used glue, tape, a box cutter, scissors, and a microwave pizza box for this build. Sadly I didn't think to photograph my process, so instead I'll just explain what I did below.

The first step was to measure out the leather and cut it to size. My psychic paper is around 5 inches by 7.5 inches, which I found looked to be the correct size. After cutting two pieces of leather that size, I also cut some cardboard from the pizza box to give the build strength. I put the cardboard between the two pieces and glued all of them together. The next step was to fold the leather wallet in half and place it between a huge stack of books, so that it would fold open. After the glue dried and the wallet had a crease in it, I took some of my remaining leather to cut a small triangle out to use as a pocket. I then glued two of the three edges to the wallet and let it dry. The final step was to take the scrapbooking paper and dividers and create a small plastic sleeve the same size as my paper. I then taped the edges of the sleeve to the back of the paper and glued the paper to the wallet. Once it dried I was done! Now the prop isn't perfect. I plan on buying some black thread and a leather needle and sewing the border of the wallet to both give it strength and add to the look, but thats a task for another day. The last thing I added to wallet was a small key that I got for free at my local hardware store. It was a mis-cut key, so they just gave it to me. I chose it because it was relatively similar to the Tardis key used in the show.

Here are some pictures of the finished piece!

DSC08294.JPGDSC08295.JPGDSC08296.JPG

I'm really happy with how this turned out and I can't wait for my next build!

~Josh

Great use of dorm supplies! Be proud that you got such a well-done prop out of normal stuff. Also, good idea to include the key

Jill - Thanks! Yeah I'm really happy with how it turned out =] And thanks, I thought it needed something else.

zodiac - Oh which versions did you get?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back