Peter Flarkin' Quill ( Star Lord)

Jackal

First, a little about me. I'm an child trapped in an old mans body. I have always been a fan of Halloween and comics, but only recently started to really get into it. I have a few costumes I'm infinitely proud of, but I fear wouldn't hold a candle to what I see here every day. That's what drives me to make this one as best as I can. My past costumes have mostly been bought with parts and tailored to fit better, or be more realistic. I have purchased a great replica of Ezio and Cobra Commander, but the builds I most enjoyed were the ones I got into the fabrication of. Last year I did a reasonable Big Ern McCraken, and my favourite, Ash from Arm of Darkness. That last one I even had a functioning chainsaw (toy) on my arm that made the sounds and moved the chain, all on a switch on the inside of the toy.

IMG_5095.jpg Ezio.jpg IMG_6481.JPG IMG_1825.JPG
This year I acted too late for my local Comic Expo in Calgary, and a bodged together Dum Dum Dugan will have to do. (I have a long handlebar mustache from Movember and decided to keep it), but I am determined to go from nothing (now) to a full Star Lord costume for August 1.

So without further delay, here is my own thread on the build of a Movie-esque costume of Star Lord. I say movie-esque because I don't expect ti to be perfect to the movie in every way, but rather my interpretation of what I think would be cool if I did the prop design.

I have the helmet sorted in respect to how I will do it, and it will be relatively close to the movie version. I really liked how they kept the mask similar to the second run of the Star Lord and Guardians comics. That makes the helmet almost double duty, as it can be combined with the full top and used as the old version or, without and go with the movie version. One thing I really liked about the comic book mask was the extra lighting in the helmet besides the eyes.

Mask.jpggotgmain.jpg

I haven't decided if I'll adjust the helmet slightly to add the extra lighting in. I have a tonne of left over EL wire from a CLU costume that never really got off the ground, and think it would look cool in the helmet. I hope to rig a switch up so that the lights will turn on automatically once the helmet is on.

Jackets have been another big topic around the costume. There are a couple threads about the jackets, and I have yet to really decide what way to go. Most pictures of Peter wearing the helmet also include him wearing the long coat, and not the short leather one. I did however see on picture of Quill wearing the short coat and the helmet in the Marvel Making a Universe documentary. I can't decide what jacket to do.

1966916_505598912883618_1928454682_n.jpgGOTG-ELECTRONIC-STAR-LORD-A8685-80513.jpg

There are a couple places to get the short coat made, but apparently nobody has used them. If you have any input on these sources, I'd be interested to hear them.

Guardians of the Galaxy Chris Pratt Jacket as Peter Quill / Star-Lord
Guardians of The Galaxy Jacket | Chris Pratt Jacket

I have also found a reasonable starting point for the long jacket in a company from China. The coat seems to be made from that cheesy fake pleather, but they have agreed to make it without the brown straps, and send the coat by itself. This could be a great starting point for the long jacket at a reasonable cost.

https://www.duokings.com/Showdetail.php?lang=EN&ptid=5000021

Next up will be the spats. Easily made I think. If not, there are a couple places on Etsy and Ebay that have them, and I don't think they should be that hard to source. They will likely need a small amount of adjustment to add the knee stitching, and attachment points for the foot jets.

The last major component will be the jet boots. I have seen pictures of them from some movie promo's but think I may just make these up as I go along. There are some great resources here with Rocketeer packs and the like. I plan on having the jets light up somehow, and even contain a fan and dry ice if I can. Just enough for a slight amount of smoke. Dry ice sublimates constantly, and shouldn't need water for a small amount of smoke. The computer fan should be enough to have the smoke come out the bottom and not the top, and thats all I'm looking for.

I think that bodies of the jets will be made from the tubing, and then I'll form the centre bit out of clay, mould it, and pour in the hard plastic. I hope to be able to carve out the middle of the now hardened plastic and devise some way to hold small dry ice chunks and a tiny fan.

photo 3.JPGphoto 2.JPG

Any and all comments, suggestions and questions are welcome. Share you Star lord builds, or any that I may find helpful or cool. Thanks, and wish me luck.

Last edited:
I found a better image of the jets online and thought I'd post it up for everyone. I'm sure all those interested have already seen it.

guardians-of-the-galaxy-starlord-helmet-2-e1374430975943.jpg

Finally started on the jets for the spats. Keep in mind that I'm going to take a liberty or two on the Jets and they won't be exactly like the movies.

I started with some round tube stock and cut it down and cut the shield angles out of the bottom. I also found some cool plastic fittings that are used in my line of work to keep a centre conductor of a connector protected during shipping. It just happens that it is a direct fit for the jet tubing, and really helps conduct the light through the jet.

photo 1.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG

I drilled some holes in the fittings to hopefully leave a path for smoke to flow out. I hope to use the centre hole for an LED and have a slow trickle of dry ice smoke flowing past the light. I have added one of the intake caps for the jets, and think I'll be adding at least one more ring to the jet so that I can run some small piping on the outside of the jets.

photo 2.JPGphoto 5.JPGphoto 6.JPG

The centre bit to the jets will be modelled in clay (a first for me), made into a mould (also a first), then cast in plastic. I'm trying to figure out how to mate the three parts together and even cast the centre part so the jets will rest seamlessly with the centre. I hope to be able to hide a small 12v computer cooling fan in the middle, and a small tray to hold a chunk of dry ice. The plan is to let the ice sublimate without water, to provide a small amount of smoke. It may be a pipe dream at the moment, but worth trying for.

I found these fans, and I think they should have just enough punch.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/15x15x4mm-Su...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bed697d7&_uhb=1

and a few more, not quite as small.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX44291
http://www.active123.com/592250-25mm-Fan-12VDC-18CFM-Hyp-Prodview.html

Edit

Sorry about the pictures being mostly sideways. I have checked and double checked that they are all the right way around in my computer.

Last edited:
Just a quick update. I got the paints and some of the electrics I need for the build, and started the sculpting for the centre of the jet. I'll be cutting the jet tubes down to the length shown on the right.

photo 3.JPG photo.JPG

Bumping to ask if anyone has better pictures of the Star Lord belt buckle that he's wearing. While I'm making clay forms I thought I'd get that one on the make as well.

Can't wait to see the helmet!!

Here's two pictures than when put together give a pretty good idea of the buckle.
View attachment 306722
View attachment 306723

Awesome. Thanks for that. Hopefully I'll get a chance to start on that tonight.

I have also been looking for the right style of boot cover/spat/gaiter/half chap to work with the costume. Not an easy feat apparently. It would seem that I am an extra large in size due to the 18" calves I have. I'd like real leather, but I'm not yet sold on spending that type of coin unless it's really close to what I want. I do have a couple places lined up though on Ebay and Etsy.

I also sent an email to Fjackets and waited to see what they said. I mentioned I was a bit skeptical of purchasing from them as a "large cosplay forum" had no reviews. I did get back a well written reply assuring me the product will be as displayed on the webpage. For what it's worth I feel I mayu be the first to give these folks a purchase and send out a review. Still a bit nervous about them though.

Last edited:
Just some pictures that may help others. Not much action on the costume since last post, but now the weekend is here and I can be more busy than the work week. lol

I noticed that there is a red LED on the side of the helmet that I have never seen before these shots. I'm not sure how it fits into the side of the helmet though. Is it on both sides?

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 1.00.14 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-04-02 at 1.01.04 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-04-02 at 1.01.44 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-04-02 at 1.02.16 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-04-02 at 1.03.03 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-04-02 at 1.07.15 AM.png

Just acquired some half chaps for the boot covers. Seem like a good start to work with.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396904841.728172.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello again team. Just for anyone following along, there was another clip of the GotG movie released today. It has some extended footage of a the theft scene. We get to see the jet boots in action and some sort of switch on the pant leg that makes the helmet appear and close around Peter's face.

I can't seem to find a great snap of the switch, but you can see the helmet closing in around his face. Post them up if you can grab better.

Screen Shot 2014-04-07 at 11.55.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-04-07 at 11.57.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-04-07 at 11.56.04 PM.png last 2.pnglast 1.png

How are you planning on making the helmet? Pepakura w. paper or foam, or perhaps sculpting?

Looking forward to the finished result either way.

The helmet I am acquiring and doing all the finishing work on.

I was surprised about the way the helmet opened too. There are no scenes that I can see where the helmet folds into the back of the jacket or worn around the neck. Odd, but cool the way the helmet opens.

Ha knew it opened up been building mine on my Facebook and people were telling me they wouldn't have it like that and that it was a slip on helmet ;) I knew better. Good work so far, no idea how I'm going to do the boots or jets myself.

Son of a B! I finally release my star lord pep file and now i see these pics of the back and now i have to redo it! ugh!!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back