Replacement for Poly Scale paints (Reefer White etc..)?

blakeh1

Sr Member
Maybe this is old news around here, but I didn't see anything in searching.

There was an article in Model Railroader a few issues back covering different paint types. And who would know better about colors originally used for model railroad stuff. At any rate here is what had to say on replacing those discontinued colors...

MicroMark has a line called MicroLux created for them by Vallejo. It features 28 colors divided into two groups. The "Top 10" colors (Reefer White, Aged Concrete, and Engine Black among others) are sold in 2 oz bottles with the Microlux branding. The remaining 18 are offered in 1/2 ounce eye-drop-style bottles with a Acrylicos Vallejo Air label.

(Here's the important part ) All of the colors match the discontinued Poly Scale line

The paint can be airbrushed straight from the bottle without thinning, but can be thinned with alcohol or water and dry to a flat finish

Apparently they are only available through direct sales from MicroMark though

Here's Refer White
MicroLux Acrylic Paint, Reefer White, 2 Ounces

Grimy Black
MicroLux Acrylic Paint, Grimy Black, 2 Ounces

Roof Red
MicroLux Acrylic Paint, Roof Red, 2 Ounces

Here's the rest of the line
MicroLux Paints
Vallejo Paints

So Polly Scale acrylics gone as well as Floquil?
My local supplier still has plenty of Polly Scale colours.

Maybe some of you guys already know about this, but there is a guy that has just released an enamel paint collection that is a full replication of the Floquil colors used by ILM. I am by no means any type of authority in this area, but he seems like he put quite a lot of work into getting them right, the paints look really good...but again, I have no idea. Maybe some of the more seasoned members around here could weigh in.

He doesn't currently have a storefront or website. You can check it out on Facebook.

The name of the paints is Archive-X, just type that into the search field in Facebook.

Yep certainly is. Guy has put in a LOT of work to get it right and if you check the Facebook page you'll see some amazing examples of painted models using his line. Check out the results and decide for yourself.

I haven't used enamel paint in years for all the common reasons - clogging, thickness, fills detail, tougher to correct mistakes, etc...

So it there a reason Archive X went with enamel rather than lacquer? Is there a secret to using enamels and I missed a memo?

I haven't used enamel paint in years for all the common reasons - clogging, thickness, fills detail, tougher to correct mistakes, etc...

So it there a reason Archive X went with enamel rather than lacquer? Is there a secret to using enamels and I missed a memo?

That would be a question for Guy, he is very accessible via his Facebook page. Just ask.

Likely for true authenticity, as the original paints were enamel. The weathering techniques ILM used could then be replicated more accurately at the very least. I've certainly tried those more abrasive techniques with acrylics and they don't work well so I'm back using enamel as I find the finish much more resiliant.

OK ask Guy on Facebook if you want the full answer:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1696820240623353/

But what I know is this. Authenticity would mean lacquers. The Enamel line by Floquil wasn't available until close to end of production of Return of the Jedi. ILM used lacquers. So why do enamels? Cause you can't ship lacquers anywhere nowadays.

What Guy did is painstakingly research the various hues (yes there's more hues than 1 per "color") of the Floquil lacquer line and reproduce them in enamels to get the best balance between properties and still being able to get the paint to the modeller.

Look into Scalecoat and Scalecoat II paints. They also have micro pigments. I thin mine down with lacquer thinner for Brass steam loco models. You don't need primers. Scalecoat II is OK on plastic.

Guy's paints just arrived and they are fantastic -- highly recommended. Be aware that if you order the Legacy Set (25 bottles + 5 free), they arrive most typically in two different boxes, on two different days of the week. So don't panic (like I did), just wait a few days, and they'll show up. Well worth the wait.

OK ask Guy on Facebook if you want the full answer:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1696820240623353/

But what I know is this. Authenticity would mean lacquers. The Enamel line by Floquil wasn't available until close to end of production of Return of the Jedi. ILM used lacquers. So why do enamels? Cause you can't ship lacquers anywhere nowadays.

What Guy did is painstakingly research the various hues (yes there's more hues than 1 per "color") of the Floquil lacquer line and reproduce them in enamels to get the best balance between properties and still being able to get the paint to the modeller.

:D
I did panic too when I've received the first box. I thought I had the order from someone else.
My second box arrived a week later. That's funny when you know that the two boxes have been sent at the same time. Go figure. :D
the paints are just gorgeous.

Guy's paints just arrived and they are fantastic -- highly recommended. Be aware that if you order the Legacy Set (25 bottles + 5 free), they arrive most typically in two different boxes, on two different days of the week. So don't panic (like I did), just wait a few days, and they'll show up. Well worth the wait.

So how much did the legacy collection cost?

That is quite an investment. What is the shelf life on these paints? And can you purchase replacements by the bottle if you run out of one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back