Obi anh lightsaber

roygilsing

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi,

My name is Roy and I’m new to the RPF. I am Dutch and live and work in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. I was 7 years old when Star Wars came out. It has always been an enormous inspiration for my career.

I recently was watching some Adam Savage Tested videos on Youtube (Bladerunner blaster!) and got very inspired by props building. My interest was always more related to the star ships, machines and the original art work of the movies, but now I got the virus of the replicas and started investigating it.

The Obi-Wan ANH lightsaber story of the original prop and replicas totally intrigued me. I deeply respect all the work and effort that you guys put into this. It’s overwhelming!

I definitely want to own a replica myself, but I thought, the first thing within my reach is to build a computer model and create some renderings of it, since this is what I’m used to do and what I know well. So I started looking at all the reference material and created this model in CAD (Solidworks) and rendered it in Keyshot. I want to make the most accurate CAD model of the original saber as possible. This is my first trial. I rendered it both weathered and ‘as new’. I hope you like it!

It isn’t accurate yet, since I couldn’t verify all the part dimensions, but once I have a proper replica I will update the model. I am thinking of uploading the CAD files for anybody who might think it’s useful. The renderings make some good wallpapers ;)

Roy

obi-wan-kenobi-lightsaber-weathered.1271_saber.jpg obi-wan-kenobi-lightsaber-weathered.1276.jpg obi-wan-kenobi-lightsaber.1257.jpg obi-wan-kenobi-lightsaber.1258.jpg
obi-wan-kenobi-lightsaber-weathered.1264.jpg obi-wan-kenobi-lightsaber.1266.jpg

Nice job on those renderings, I like them. specially the weathered version :)
I am thinking on building my first lightsaber too, hopefully soon I can post pics.

Thanks!
I ordered a weathered Romans now and I'm looking forward to receive it! I already purchased a beautiful Graflex flashgun.
Scott, the one you built looks awesome. I might like to build mine like that.

Here's another improved rendering of the weathered version (my favorite too):
obi-wan-kenobi-lightsaber-weathered.1279.jpg

Last edited:
These renderings are AMAZING! Obi-wan's ANH saber is also my favorite. I've done a few CAD models of lightsabers a few years ago and did a version of his Ep. 3 saber, along with several others including Yoda. I never got around to making an Obi-Wan ANH because I have yet to find accurate dimensions for the brass fins on the rifle grenade.

Would it be possible to get a copy of your CAD files for the ANH saber in STEP? I use SolidWorks regularly so I can export to almost any file format but it's almost always easier to receive files in STEP.

I'm very new to the forum so once I get in the swing of things I will start posting my files of sabers and other CAD models. Like I said, I did them a few years ago, so I've changed computers a few times, I just need to find the files.

If you can help it would be much appreciated!

hi Roy

Love the work done, I too was looking to make my own replica of obi's anh saber and have struggled to find accurate dimensions. You mentioned about purchasing a Roman props replica, did you get a chance to measure and update the CAD files accordingly?

I know that romans version is based on original parts which should mean the parts are accurate to size and would make a good base for my replica

hi Roy

Love the work done, I too was looking to make my own replica of obi's anh saber and have struggled to find accurate dimensions. You mentioned about purchasing a Roman props replica, did you get a chance to measure and update the CAD files accordingly?

I know that romans version is based on original parts which should mean the parts are accurate to size and would make a good base for my replica

Hi S Clark!
Yes, such an old thread! Funny you found it. As halliwax says: blast from the past!

About your question: I never updated the CAD files according to Roman's replica saber. I bought his weathered version and it's amazingly beautiful and like you said, it's extremely accurate (just HOW accurate exactly, I don't know, but I'm sure you can't spot the difference). Maybe I should update my model one day, but I wouldn't wait for that! If you want I can send a few main dimensions that you require and work from there. And if you can afford it, I would definitely buy one of Roman's replicas!

Roy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi roy

Thanks your response, I would much appreciate all the help I can get. If you could dimension up the roman's prop then I would be extremely grateful.

Would it also be possible to have a copy of the CAD files, they would make a great reference! I am surprised that no-one has posted up dimensions of a Roman prop as of yet seeing that they are suppose to be the most accurate around.

I have seen the dimensions made by Darth saber (I think that's right) which I have read comments stating the inaccuracy of them as they were more of a rough guide. Hence my quest led me here.

P.s. I have already made 4 sabers prior to this one, perhaps I will post them one day

it's extremely accurate (just HOW accurate exactly, I don't know, but I'm sure you can't spot the difference).

I had a chance to hold a real-parts Obi-Wan that veektohr made and compare it directly to my Roman's. It looks virtually identical, it even has the same heft to it... but there was something about the original parts-- the finish, the texture, the SMELL, that despite looking like twins made them seem like different beasts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think one of the measures of the accuracy of Roman's replica is that you can replace any part of it with a vintage component and they fit perfectly. For example, my Hales frag tube just connects with the rest of Roman's hardware.

PS. Kudos for restarting this necro-thread. I had to smile when I read THE Roy Gilsing saying "My name is Roy and I’m new to the RPF."

Hi roy

Thanks your response, I would much appreciate all the help I can get. If you could dimension up the roman's prop then I would be extremely grateful.

Would it also be possible to have a copy of the CAD files, they would make a great reference! I am surprised that no-one has posted up dimensions of a Roman prop as of yet seeing that they are suppose to be the most accurate around.

No problem, I will send you some measurements (somewhere this week I hope), so you have some references. But I prefer not to share my 3D CAD model. I never do, because it's a lot of research and work and feels like a personal accomplishment.

PS. Kudos for restarting this necro-thread. I had to smile when I read THE Roy Gilsing saying "My name is Roy and I’m new to the RPF."

I feel flattered! Thanks! :D

[emoji23] I take that as a compliment. Thanks guys. Now, cut it out!

LOL. Fair enough. In all seriousness I became a member around the same time as you and your help early on inspired me to make my first sabers. I have enjoyed seeing more and more greeblies become available on wannawanga.com. Keep it up! Please!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back