HAL 9000 from 2001: a space odyssey

Other than the resolution of the photo, that's a very good view.

The state of the logo is why I have been thinking that it's not a foil stick-on.....but something printed right on the panel....?

-Jeff

Some kind of decal might well be correct, or even a paper label I guess. The metal foil I was talking about would probably look better, but wouldn't be screen accurate. :lol

Alps is good for printing white, but we don't have to print white... the white lettering could be gaps where we're not printing black, if we use white decal film or even white vinyl.

Just a couple images I took. I always liked the Logic Memory Center sign. (I don't think that door key looks the same as the one in the film.)

logicmemory.png

hal1.png

doori.png

The label is sized on my blueprint here, 3.5" x 0.75"

imageuploadimage.gif

Interesting about that scene of Bowman opening up the HAL Logic Center hatch... you can see a gap between his glove and wrist of the spacesuit! So in other words he is probably exposed to the vacuum of space at that point (HAL almost certainly has bled off the ship's air, as he does in the novel). :lol

bowmanglovegap.jpg

Just a couple images I took. I always liked the Logic Memory Center sign. (I don't think that door key looks the same as the one in the film.)

logicmemory.png
I'd love to have a full-sized silkscreen-on-metal plaque of this. I'd put it right on the lid of my ThinkPad. ;)

-Tim

I still have my Illustrator files from my work on this when we were all talking about. So I have the label in vector form. And a bunch of other stuff generated then.

Phase, did you get all your stuff from other already?

Here's my HAL 9000 which I picked up from Jmtwo a few years ago "using Phase Pistol's excellent blueprints as the basis for all the dimensions".

Here's the build thread:
http://therpf.com/showthread.php?t=19976

HAL9000.jpg

I remember reading this thread a few months back and being totally inspired by your work. Very, very good!

Now the question of the day: do you still have the files used to drive the laser cutter to make the parts? I have a few friends in 'low' places where I might be able to get a run of parts made......

-Jeff

I've got the same HAL. The quality is incredible on it. Only complaint is the foggy lens. I can understand the limit of the material though. Hope to change it out someday though.

Thanks! :D

I noted that there are photos of this "original panel from the 2001 set" floating around, particularly on that 2001 exhibit site

storkfaceplateenh.jpg

The panel is strange because is significantly shorter proportionally, than is visible in the film itself. Also it has a shallower "speaker grille area".

originalpanelvsgrab.jpg

I suppose the short HAL panel might be the one from over the Brainroom door. That one seems to really be crammed into a small space. Also the panel has been displayed with a "brainroom key", so that connection makes sense.

halbrainroomdoor.jpg

I remember reading this thread a few months back and being totally inspired by your work. Very, very good!

Now the question of the day: do you still have the files used to drive the laser cutter to make the parts? I have a few friends in 'low' places where I might be able to get a run of parts made......

-Jeff

Hi Jeff - you would need to contact Jmtwo, the person I purchased it from.

Keep in mind that it was over 2 years ago when I purchased it, so not sure if he is still doing these or not.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back