HAL 9000 from 2001: a space odyssey

Ooooo. Point me to some off the shelf aspherical glass lenses with flat bottom, at about 70mm in diameter. :p

I think we just have to trial and error it a little, to see what works. Nobody will want to pay hundreds just to get glass lenses ground "exactly like" a real Nikkor (or at least I won't)... all we really have to nail is the "HAL look" which to me is

- deep, solid crystal clear lens

- rich black appearance from the side

- hot red light in the center that lights up some internal lens structure

My naive assumption is that a glass lens with the correct outer profile would be the most satisfying. Plastic may or may not ever work. I know for a fact that thin vacformed plastic shells won't cut it. And cast resin with even the silghtest defect would suck.

- k

Originally posted by Darth Lars@Apr 14 2006, 07:49 AM
I am curious to if the outer lens really has to be ground on the inside. Getting custom glass lenses like this would cost a great deal but some off-the-shelf aspherical glass lenses with flat bottom would cost only around $20 each.
One also has to take into consideration that acrylic does not have the same refraction index as glass and the internals and internal lens would have to be modified to take this into account if you want it to look 100% like a Nikkor lens from the outside.
[snapback]1226253[/snapback]​

OK got some of the measurements... working on getting the rest.

NIKKOR_sized_041706.gif

- k

Hear, hear.

Glad to see our Archive Mod is right on top of things. :D :thumbsup

I'm wondering what kind of shadowy progress Karl has been making...

... and my hopes are high. :love

Sorry for the lengthy delay guys... I have been busy with some personal stuff, but I hope to get back on it and finish up the blueprint soon.. I have a couple of threads hanging, but once I finalize the blueprint we can start to see some progress I think.

- k

"Personal stuff"? What the?. :angry

:lol I keed. I keed.

Looking forward to updates when time allows. No rush here. Your life does come first. :) :thumbsup

OK update. :D

"Preliminary" final blueprint. Some things remain to be worked out, such as the exact details of the interior of the lens rear cap. I'd like to have glass or plastic lens elements in-hand before specifying the metal parts (it's a horse-and-cart problem, and I think it'd be easier to modify the metal parts if we have clear elements that are "close".)

Tgreco was going to get an estimate for me with a machinist, and also had some ideas as to where to get wide-angle lens elements that would be "close." Anybody who wants to jump in with suggestions for metal or glass or plastic is welcome.

kt-HAL_9000_061906.gif

- k

So THAT'S what you've been up to. :D :thumbsup

Looks great, Karl. I can hardly wait for the next step.

Thanks for keeping this project alive (unlike Hunter, Kimball, and Kaminsky :p ).

Bump so people can see the blueprint.

Please examine the blueprint and ask questions if you got 'em. I see for instance that I forgot to indicate screws to go in the sides of the entire panel, to hold it together.

Also it's not clear from the drawing but there should be a "trench" around the rim of the front lens piece; you might be able to make it out in the assembled side view cross section. I'll need to specify the lens front piece a little more thoroughly I guess. There are also a couple little fiddly steps which I think I can leave out if need be, they're only a millimeter or so. I don't know at what point this thing becomes too complicated to actually make. :$

The next step I think is to line up a source for lens elements. The exact tolerances on the metal parts will depend on what we use for lenses. It may be necessary to machine acrylic and make our own lenses, if similar glass parts cannot be found.

- K

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back