Star Trek TNG First Contact Type III Phaser Rifle - Done (with pretty pictures)!

Snow Builder

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well, as usual, I've underestimated how long a build will take ;)

I've been jonesing for a Next Gen Phaser Rifle forever and this weekend seemed like a good time to start (we had a nice warm spell). Hunting around on the interwebs seems to indicate the rifle is about 33" long, 9.5" tall and 2" wide.

Started with a couple of pieces of 3/4" boards that I screwed together, then sketched out the basic shape.
13211229275_99dc34c5fd_c.jpg

Drilled and cut (this took forever and I busted a bandsaw blade, grrrrr)
13211544634_3e517ed577_c.jpg

Sketched and cut detail parts for the stock, barrel and targeting/light attachment
13211534894_267fbec380_c.jpg

13211205675_2be591ee8a_c.jpg

13211202345_b791e09875_c.jpg

13211190365_31dd3b60f8_c.jpg

13211502654_42c61a74c9_c.jpg

13211325413_107e4f4b45_c.jpg

13211323033_91909d727c_c.jpg

13211169495_bfc7346ef8_c.jpg

…and a rough assembly
13211312593_983120c2a6_c.jpg

Stay tuned, more to come...

Attachments

• 13211534894_267fbec380_c.jpg
    13211534894_267fbec380_c.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
Re: Star Trek TNG First Contact Type III Phaser Rifle

looking great so far. how did you go about creating the rounded parts? is it a case of laborious sanding?

look forward to seeing your progress on this.

It's a really great start. Is the original really 1.5 inches thick (two 0.75 boards)? It seems smaller in the movie, but I've never looked that close. It looks really good so far!!!

The screen used type III are 2 inches thick, I just checked the master tool here at the shop. You are doing a great job on this.

HMS Mike

It's a great build and I look forward to see how it ends up.

- - - Updated - - -

The screen used type III are 2 inches thick, I just checked the master tool here at the shop. You are doing a great job on this.

HMS Mike

Mike

I think you should pour some plastic into the mold a few times just to check ;)

Last edited:

looking great so far. how did you go about creating the rounded parts? is it a case of laborious sanding?

look forward to seeing your progress on this.

Thank you for the compliment. I have a palm and belt sander, so the shaping goes pretty fast. I do finish things off with a little hand sanding, but I'll save most of that for later when I'm doing clean up.

It's a really great start. Is the original really 1.5 inches thick (two 0.75 boards)? It seems smaller in the movie, but I've never looked that close. It looks really good so far!!!
The reference material I'm using shows a 2" width. Once I add styrene for the cosmetic plating I'll get a little more width. Ultimately my plan is to vac form the two halves, which should also add to the girth and get me pretty close to full width.

(I love wood props)

Coming along nicely!
Thank you, I love working with wood -it's a very tactile, hands-on medium (no offense to any of our 3-d modelers ;)

HMS Mike

Thanks! I appreciate the verification on the specs. Do you have any reference pics of a pull or the molds that you could share?

It's a great build and I look forward to see how it ends up.

- - - Updated - - -

Mike

I think you sohuld pour some plastic into the mold a few times just to check ;)
Me too! I'm always surprised by the end results, it's never what I expect it to be at the start.

Awesome! I am looking forward to more!
Thanks, here's a little more...

I unattached the two halves and I got the stock details in place.
13212541434_66b3f66ecd_c.jpg

Hit the halves with a couple of coats of primer -wanted to see where the wood grain needed some attention.
13212537594_4b8011c38a_c.jpg

Next step is bondo and clean up -then I'll start attaching the cosmetic plates.

Stay tuned...

I can't wait to see this finished. I have always the look of this weapon more than any other in Star Trek. So many good things came out of First Contact... ;)

Looking good! :thumbsup

Sean

Thanks!

I can't wait to see this finished. I have always the look of this weapon more than any other in Star Trek. So many good things came out of First Contact... ;)
Amen!

Finished cutting and dry fitting the cosmetic plating. Here's where she stands:
13374348644_93223b1ef0_c.jpg

13374116613_ef123709ec_c.jpg

13373965135_66ceb8479c_c.jpg

I'm traveling this week, so no more updates until next weekend, but until then...

Stay tuned.

this is looking superb. coincidentally I had downloaded the blueprints for this rifle a couple of days before your first post. couldn't have hoped for a better build thread to come along when it did.

are you planning to put electronics in there?

I have to say VERY nicely done! I have one myself - a resin casting from an original, though one of the variants. Nice work!
Marc_Phaser.png

this is looking superb. coincidentally I had downloaded the blueprints for this rifle a couple of days before your first post. couldn't have hoped for a better build thread to come along when it did.

are you planning to put electronics in there?
So far I'm finding this a great project to work on. The biggest challenge has been hollowing out the trigger and stock areas (I used a router). Glad my thread is helpful, I look forward to seeing your progress!

Once I get the buck(s) finished my plan is to vac form them, so I should have lots of room for electronics -so definitely planning on making it "functional".

I have to say VERY nicely done! I have one myself - a resin casting from an original, though one of the variants. Nice work!
View attachment 302096
Wow! Color me all kinds of jealous ;)

Thanks for the compliment. Fortunately there's a ton of reference photos available so it helps in trying to visualize what I want the rifle to look like.

I got back into town last night and started attaching the cosmetic plating. I was on the fence on what type of adhesive to use and decided on contact cement. I'm not sure I made the correct decision (I'm waiting for everything to dry). The buck needs to be able to stand up to vac forming without having the pieces breaking free. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has wisdom to share.

Here's the side that's been completed:
13465482724_ee2267c064_c.jpg

13465480084_9a9457a4f6_c.jpg

I need to clean up the edges of the styrene pieces, then hit it with a coat of primer to see how it looks -then on to the next side.

Stay tuned.

Attachments

• IMG_0259.JPG
    IMG_0259.JPG
    257.1 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0261.JPG
    IMG_0261.JPG
    262.3 KB · Views: 312
  • 13465480084_9a9457a4f6_c.jpg
    13465480084_9a9457a4f6_c.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:

So far I'm finding this a great project to work on. The biggest challenge has been hollowing out the trigger and stock areas (I used a router). Glad my thread is helpful, I look forward to seeing your progress!

Ha Ha, the chance would be a fine thing. My new born daughter is guzzling up all of my spare time at the moment unfortunately. I was part way through building a smart gun from aliens but haven't touched it in months.

oh well I guess it won't last forever. in the mean time i'm really enjoying your build.

cheers

Ha Ha, the chance would be a fine thing. My new born daughter is guzzling up all of my spare time at the moment unfortunately. I was part way through building a smart gun from aliens but haven't touched it in months.

oh well I guess it won't last forever. in the mean time i'm really enjoying your build.

cheers
Enjoy the time with your daughter! Props can always wait, but time with your kids is more valuable than gold.

Course, if you can have both... ;)
1236253_10202121446623772_1993319861_n.jpg

Enjoy the time with your daughter! Props can always wait, but time with your kids is more valuable than gold.

couldn't agree more. a hobby is great and all but I wouldn't trade it for my kids. That said I do love to escape into my garage after they've gone to bed. wish they made silencers for power tools though.

great photo by the way. I bet your kids have ideas for special commissions all the time :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back