Star Trek TNG First Contact Type III Phaser Rifle - Done (with pretty pictures)!

Re: Star Trek TNG First Contact Type III Phaser Rifle

Wow, you're really plowing ahead with this build. Looking great so far, totally envious of your skills. If you do decide to make a kit of this I'd certainly be interested in one. I don't suppose I could convince you to have a go at making the TNG/DS9 version of the Type III? I know most folks think the older version is hideous looking, but as member of SFI and someone who occasionally cosplays as a SF security officer I actually prefer the shorter length and vertical grips, makes more sense for CQC onboard a starship or space station.

Last edited:

I'm not sure if this might be a thought since you plan to vacuform your build, gorillas glue or even a good wood glue might do the trick! Thin layer so it doesn't bulge out from the main piece. I've tried the wrong with super glue...bad bad idea. I learned a very valuable lesson that way! Even an epoxy glue that will allow you to adjust the piece before it starts to dry just in case it's not on straight! Just an idea!!

If you plan to make castings, I'd so be in for a kit! Love these type 3a/3b phaser rifles. Not a huge fan of the EVA phaser rifle.

Last edited:

couldn't agree more. a hobby is great and all but I wouldn't trade it for my kids. That said I do love to escape into my garage after they've gone to bed. wish they made silencers for power tools though.

great photo by the way. I bet your kids have ideas for special commissions all the time :)
I'm with you, most of my prop building is done in the wee hours of the morning.

Wow, you're really plowing ahead with this build. Looking great so far, totally envious of your skills. If you do decide to make a kit of this I'd certainly be interested in one. I don't suppose I could convince you to have a go at making the TNG/DS9 version of the Type III? I know most folks think the older version is hideous looking, but as member of SFI and someone who occasionally cosplays as a SF security officer I actually prefer the shorter length and vertical grips, makes more sense for CQC onboard a starship or space station.
I'd love to see pics of your costume! I have quite of few other projects on the back burner, so I don't foresee moving to another Type III for awhile (at least not as a kit). Shoot me a PM and we can see what I can do for you.

I'm not sure if this might be a thought since you plan to vacuform your build, gorillas glue or even a good wood glue might do the trick! Thin layer so it doesn't bulge out from the main piece. I've tried the wrong with super glue...bad bad idea. I learned a very valuable lesson that way! Even an epoxy glue that will allow you to adjust the piece before it starts to dry just in case it's not on straight! Just an idea!!

If you plan to make castings, I'd so be in for a kit! Love these type 3a/3b phaser rifles. Not a huge fan of the EVA phaser rifle.
If I can produce something I'm proud of I'll definitely go the kit route -I'll post an interest thread if I get to that point (and thanks for your interest). Appreciate the suggestions on glue. I forgot, when I was working on Wall-E I found hot glue worked well to bond styrene to wood. Wood glue wasn't bad, but was susceptible to shearing. I pulled all the pieces last night and re-glued and also completed the other side.

I also cleaned up the edges and refined the spacing between the plates. Lastly, hit it with a coat of primer -I'm liking it.

13487533814_b8fe3088cf_c.jpg

13487529734_4c76938d05_c.jpg

13487525004_80745a61fb_c.jpg

Stay tuned...

Last edited:

Awesome work. Iv'e been wanting one of those forever. and you make It look so easy.... again. fine job your doing there..

Sorry SB but I'm new to this site and don't have access to PM's yet. My DS9 cosplay is still a WIP. So far all I have are the boots, comm-badge and rank pips; though kits for Type II boomerang phaser and Mark X tricorder are already ordered. If you want to you can check out my TOS cosplay album via my profile page.

Oh wow! Looks great! I sure hope you do an interest thread! I have a type 3b phaser rifle kit. It's solid in places but it's able to have a working light, working trigger, & a working buttons/bar graph area. Those I plan to add for functionality. Just wish the nose tip was solid so I could add LEDs to the tip. You can also put the seatbelt in the compartment at the rear of the rifle. Needs some work & it'll look good I hope.

Your rifle is one of the best I've seen lately on the forums! Maybe a Voyager Compression rifle next (hint hint) ;)

Looks awesome. Looking forward to seeing it all finished up! Great job SB!!

This looks fantastic thus far. Quick question, how heavy is the total unit?

Weight isn't an issue. the reason why he's making the weapon form in 2 halves is so he can use it as a master to make multiple copies, either through vac-forming or molding in PU resin. He probably won't be using the original as a 'carry-around' prop.

Lookin' gooooooood! You're making it look achievable fit someone like me, keep it up!

Oh wow! Looks great! I sure hope you do an interest thread! I have a type 3b phaser rifle kit. It's solid in places but it's able to have a working light, working trigger, & a working buttons/bar graph area. Those I plan to add for functionality. Just wish the nose tip was solid so I could add LEDs to the tip. You can also put the seatbelt in the compartment at the rear of the rifle. Needs some work & it'll look good I hope.

Your rifle is one of the best I've seen lately on the forums! Maybe a Voyager Compression rifle next (hint hint) ;)

Looks awesome. Looking forward to seeing it all finished up! Great job SB!!
Wow, thanks for the kind words!

Thanks, the prop weighs in at about 8lbs.

i believe he said he is going to vacuform these ......
Thanks for the assist ;)

Weight isn't an issue. the reason why he's making the weapon form in 2 halves is so he can use it as a master to make multiple copies, either through vac-forming or molding in PU resin. He probably won't be using the original as a 'carry-around' prop.
Thanks for the assist, I've got good block-and-tacklers ;)

D'oh! I knew that. I is smrt.
Indeed you are my friend ;) Carrying the buck definitely makes you feel like you're holding the real thing...

Lookin' gooooooood! You're making it look achievable fit someone like me, keep it up!
Thanks, give it a shot -you might surprise yourself :)

Definitely getting close to being able to try vac-forming this thing. Most of the weekend was spent on cleanup and details.

Got the textured grip and stock in place (it's needlepoint mesh -in case you're curious)
13527284305_5e83545f45_c.jpg

13527448094_41c58645bd_c.jpg

Adding the gunsight detail and "hood"
13527551014_7cfa442545_c.jpg

and of course, Bondo...
13527483324_b65cfc82d2_c.jpg

I'm hoping to get everything sanded down and primed one more time before I head out-of-town for the week.

Stay tuned...

Are you going to make it to where you can add a retractable seatbelt? Not sure when I read your posts if you mentioned that or not!

LAR

This looks great! It's encouraging to a newcomer like myself to see the various mediums people use to make their props. Watching your progress on this and the techniques you use makes the whole process of crafting a great piece little more obtainable. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Are you going to make it to where you can add a retractable seatbelt? Not sure when I read your posts if you mentioned that or not!

LAR
Great question. I'm not adding any features to the buck that would be specific to the seatbelt, but I don't see why one could not be added. I think the internal structure would need to be augmented to support the extra weight and the additional tension that the belt might add (after all, the plastic will only be so strong by itself).

This looks great! It's encouraging to a newcomer like myself to see the various mediums people use to make their props. Watching your progress on this and the techniques you use makes the whole process of crafting a great piece little more obtainable. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
I'm glad you find my thread helpful! The hardest part of any project is just getting started, after that the prop tends to take on a life of its own.

bravo....looking fantastic.

very jealous :)
Thanks, I have to admit the rifle is coming out better than I had hoped.

So, I was able to get a little more finishing done before I jumped on an airplane yesterday:
13530731055_6aa3506862_c.jpg

13530835863_897ac6af68_c.jpg

13530839453_38375cc943_c.jpg

I still need to mark-out the control interface for the rifle across the top of the rifle, but I'm getting really close to being able to do a test vac-pull.

We'll see how far I get this coming weekend.

Stay tuned...

Recommendation? No. Nothing you don't already know: HIPS=weaker material/sharper detail, ABS=stronger material/softer detail. I would say stick with the HIPS if you're going to do a run (saves weight). People can always reinforce their rifles from the inside if needed.

Get The Freak Out!! That looks sick dude!! I sure wish I was talented enough to scratch build stuff. That's something I'd like to have in my collection. Hopefully you'll make a interest thread....how about you let us know on First Contact Day 2014?

Larry

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back