Helmet cooling fans suggestions.

ep82

Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me what is a good fan to use to keep the air moving within the helmet so it can keep me abit cooler and stop my visor from steaming up?

At the moment I need a fan for my halo build, but I will also use the fan in my storm tropper and other helmets.

The fan has to be small and can pump out a fair bit of air. (I've bought a 30mm CPU fan is it produces next to no air lol)
So any good recommendations?

Thanks

30mm? isnt that tiny?

I'd go for a 100mm or 120mm PC fan, wire it up to a 9v battery and you should be sorted (if you have space for it)

Otherwise if it's just to prevent steaming up, cut a few slits in the section where your mouth is should provide enough air exchange (in opportune places not just anywhere XD), maybe at the back of the neck too if your all covered up/undersuited

Go to a paint ball shop, they have small visor fans for paint ball helmets they are a bit noisy IMHO but not to bad and move alot of air

I used to have 2 40mm fans , In Stormtrooper helmet, I now angle the lense material out slightly so that air can get around it, it is not visable. I very rarely fog up if at all and then it is for only a few seconds.. Hope that helps, i never thought the fans help keep me cool, Live in South Florida so is just HOT !

best of luck

I've been using a 12 volt computer fan, 40mm diameter, running off a 9 volt battery. The fan is in the snout of my trooper helmet, angled up towards my face, and it keeps me cool and stops the fogging on the lenses. Without it running the lenses fog up and I nearly pass out from the heat. I get about 3 hours from a battery before it slows enough to need changing. My next project is to rig a 12 volt power pack from two battery boxes, so I can use D cells at the full 12 volts for extra cooling.

Hey Thanks for the info people.

Blaxmyth. Is there different types of 40mm fans out there like extra powerful/more RPM Or are they pretty much all the same? Any recommended makes?

To be honest, I haven't any idea of the make or power output. It's just what was in an old computer I had. I was pushed for time so just wired in a 9 volt battery thinking it'd be too underpowered for good performance, but it works well. I do not have any cloth or mesh over the holes in the frown so it may draw some air in from there, but probably not a lot. The longest I have worn it continuously is three hours, taking it off for only about a minute, and this was in late summer sun here in New Zealand, so it was pretty warmish.

This is an old thread so I am wondering if there are more recent solutions. I have my current Diver/Capt Cutler build which I would like to add a cooling fan. My thought is to build it into a fake scuba tank and run hoses into the helmet. If I use a 80mm PC LED cooling fan, it has multiple wires. The two on the left run to the LED lights. The three on the left connect to the pc power supply. I think I can run this off of a 9v battery. Rated voltage is 10.8 - 13.2VDC Starting is 7VDC. I guess trial and error will work.
fan.jpg

I also bought a USB portable fan which is much larger and self contained but harder to conceal. The USB fan can run off of a power bank.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back