Help with boot

Audie

Some weeks ago I've received these O'neal MX boots by mail and they originally came with rubber padding on the sides. By removing them, the stitching underneath was left exposed, which I dont know how to cover. So how do I go about this? I'm concerned that I could really wreck the boot after weathering. Is there a patch that could blend with the base or is it okay to cut the stitching (is that stupid)? BTW, I dont know how to sow.
20140310_182006[1].jpg

I'd like to remove the logo, too. So, to anyone whom modded their O'neal MX boots, is it alright for me to remove it?

20140310_182101[1].jpg

Last edited:
First, nothing will totally make the holes invisible. You can take a number of steps to make them less obvious. I have a different brand boot but the issues were the same. Embossed, instead of glued and stitched logos made removal of mine impossible. I settled for covering mine with thin pieces of gray suede leather patches since there are similar textures on the actual boots. The holes from stitching are harder. There are several options to reduce the look. First remove as much thread as possible. Some stitches can be tenacious and I melted remnants away with a small butane torch. You can use a cigarette lighter instead. To fill holes use one of the following. Black acrylic artist tube paint,(its thicker). Buy a leather repair kit which has a similar material in small pots. Some use heat from a small iron to set the material. Or,as with the suede remedy, cover the holes with thin smooth garment leather cut to a logical looking shape to mask the area. You can also use quick setting epoxy applied with a toothpick to each hole. If any mounds above the surface,use a single edge razor blade or scalpel to shave it flush. If any of your repairs don't match,paint the boot. Don't use regular paint. Many auto parts stores like Auto Zone stock vinyl/leather paint in black.The spray paint comes in flat or gloss versions. If your raised logo is glued on,you may choose to shave it flat with a blade and cover with leather. If it is glued there may be residue you can't get off if you remove it. If you want less expensive options than new leather you can cheat with fake stuff from the fabric store or try some thrift shops for leather pants (even ladies) or coats. Hope this helps.

I've also had good luck with black latex caulking from a hardware store for filling small holes in leather. It stays flexible, which is nice, and can be smoothed out well with water.

Sweet! I'll look into those. My only remaining problem is the logo made of rubber; its really difficult to cut it off. I've cut threads only to reveal there's no leather under it. I'm going to check this Saturday for the patches and see if that would do the trick. I'm on the fence with both qualities, though. Thanks again.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back