Black Sails...anyone?

Dutchman

Anyone has seen any of this? I'm about to check out the first episode. The fact that nobody has said a word about this show up here is not a good sign I guess.
The fact that Michael Bay is involved isn't either. Or are we all a bit Pirate Tired?

That being said, the ratings are pretty good on IMDB, and the poster's design is crazy awesome.

So, fingerbones crossed, I'll have a go on this.

Ok, if you're familiar with my posts here, you know that I have....some degree of disdain for Michael Bay (putting it mildly).

That said, I watched the first episode of this and found it to be entertaining if somewhat over the top in its attempt to be gritty and titillating. In that respect, though, it reminds me very much of Spartacus which, for all its excesses, ended up being a REALLY well done show with some terrific acting and characters I genuinely enjoyed.

I'm curious where this one's gonna go, having not watched any of the other episodes yet. It could devolve into pure silliness, but I could also see where it'd end up getting better as you go along and it finds its sea-legs, so to speak.

Thank you for your reply Solo. I just watched the first episode and it does seem promising indeed. Interesting storyline, characters and overall it looks and feels very well made with all the physical sets and little use of cgi. Will have to see how this is going to develop.

There is, for some people provocative, sex and violence in this show, and you can discuss whether or not it is necessary. But after all the Disney POTC movies, the whole pirate thing started to feel like a walk in the (disney)park for 12 year olds...

I've seen every episode so far, and I find it to be a bit lacking. I've been interested in pirates for as long as I can remember--read several non-fiction books, seen a bunch of movies and documentaries--and I've long thought if someone were to produce a movie or television series that was accurate to a pirate's day-to-day life during "the Golden Age" of piracy it would be rather boring; I think this show might just prove me right.

I agree. Big Golden Age of Piracy fan. I do lectures and first person impressions of various piratical figures. I am watching the series for set decoration ideas, but have very little interest in any of the characters.

If you want a good read about Flint and Silver, check out the trilogy by John Drake 'Flint and Silver'. Good read about fictional pirates.

Cheers

Sebastian

Thank you for your replies, sebastian & Zombie. I have to agree with you both for the most part. Everyday pirate life can actually be pretty boring.

After the first episode, part 2 till 4 almost felt like watching a soap at times, but when they do set sail for some action, it is serious business and those scenes do make up for the more slow running chapters, at least to me. Also they are not afraid killing off characters you wouldn't expact would die.

And again, the set, setpieces, props and costumes, it all looks topnotch. So all together, I pretty much enjoyed this first season (chapter 1 till 8) and would definitely like to see more...

I love it, especially John Silver, In the books I think he's a cooler character than Jack Sparrow will ever be (If there was a comparison being made) , also the sea batlles , especially the last one against the Spanish, great footage!Can't wait till next season.

Just got into this series, and for me what's lacking in S1 is made up for in S2. at least in my opinion. In S3, Ray Stevenson is playing Blackbeard which I think can be awesome.

Personally I'm happy to get closer to realistic pirates than from Disney.

Would love to see more cosplay for this show.

So I started to Bing watching this with a few friends. Got all the way to the 3rd season in 3 days. So yeah it's a little good at times. Our biggest complaint with out giving spoilers to anyone that hasn't watch them. Is how sick and tired of Capt. Vane or as we call him captain monotone. He isn't really written bad, just talks the same way no matter what's going on. He talks smack to others, threats people, stubs his toe, someone gives him some loving, wins a battle...it's all the same gritty tone. Really now, you can't speak with a little bit of excitement or thrill in your voice? Also...still trying to figure out his one trick from season 1 on that island with big man.

So I started to Bing watching this with a few friends. Got all the way to the 3rd season in 3 days. So yeah it's a little good at times. Our biggest complaint with out giving spoilers to anyone that hasn't watch them. Is how sick and tired of Capt. Vane or as we call him captain monotone. He isn't really written bad, just talks the same way no matter what's going on. He talks smack to others, threats people, stubs his toe, someone gives him some loving, wins a battle...it's all the same gritty tone. Really now, you can't speak with a little bit of excitement or thrill in your voice? Also...still trying to figure out his one trick from season 1 on that island with big man.

Apparently, he's on The 100, too, and from what I saw in a preview...that's just how the dude talks. That or the director on the 100 said "Do your pirate voice, ok?"

Part of the issue could be that he's not really British and that's his "British" voice?

I'm really loving the costumes in the series....

I've noticed many of their actors are american which actually surprised me for some reason but that can be because I'm American... even though I pride myself on detecting fake accents.

Fot he costuming I love it. I've been a "professional" pirate for 10 years now but no matter how accurate I try to get it always seems too "disney" for my taste. That could be thanks to Disney popularizing the classic looks which were accurate and now are "Disney pirate" but the look of Black Sails intrigues me..... and I want to aim closer to that. Here's a few pics of my current gear.... I know the "dangles aren't accurate" but the for th most part the pants, shirt, belt, etc are fairly close. Bucket boots, I know aren't. but I LOVE the Black sails look. Guess it's time for a revamp.
. 1455844_10100946467368945_1824050256_n.jpg11750681_509057292576469_5376566805686000657_n.jpg

Last edited:
I don't care if he is from mar's. Just talk different at times. I swear my toaster makes better sounds and expressions than him.

yeah the costumes are top notch. Why cosplayers can't get the real look? Oh that's easy, they are too clean. You gotta look like you smell like dog poop baking in sun. Be a total dirt bag that hasn't wash any part of yourself for months. Even tho you play in the water every day. It's mind blown how dirty these salt dogs are all the time.

i do hope VIP auctions does get to this for an auction down the line. Any other good site as well will do too.

...Fot he costuming I love it. I've been a "professional" pirate for 10 years now but no matter how accurate I try to get it always seems too "disney" for my taste...
"Costuming" is exactly what it is. Hollywood has stylized and romanticized "history" in cinema for decades. For example, look at photos taken during America's "old west" era, and you'll find the "working class" dressed very differently from the way they're presented in movies; the Hollywood representation of pirates is no different.

I don't care if he is from mar's. Just talk different at times. I swear my toaster makes better sounds and expressions than him.

Agreed, all I meant was that sometimes when people affect accents they can only do so in certain registers, case in point, compare RDJ's Sherlock Holmes accent and voice compared to his normal voice.

Perhaps the actor playing Vane can only do his accent in that one deep monotone growl that he does.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back