Voltron References - Creating Pepakura Files

indiefilmgeek

Sr Member
What started out as a request to borrow a Voltron toy for reference as I began a Halloween build for my 5 year, has taken a cool new direction... Shadeling has offered to create 3D models of some of the Voltron lions. I'll be unfolding them as the models get posted. ALL of the unfolded pep files will be available here:

FORMAT NOTES: All of these are scaled for my project (a costume for my 5yr old son). So, while all of these are set at the same scale, if you're building this for a larger scale costume (or a smaller scale model), you'll want to adjust the scale considerably. I've also laid these out for US letter paper (8.5"x11"), with the exception of the Wings (which are arranged for 11"x17" pages).

red lion head.JPG
VOLTRON - RED LION HEAD - Created by Shadeling - Unfolded by IndieFilmGeek

red body front.JPG
VOLTRON - RED LION FRONT - Created by Shadeling - Unfolded by IndieFilmGeek

red body rear.JPG
VOLTRON - RED LION BODY REAR - Created by Shadeling - Unfolded by IndieFilmGeek

elbow.JPG
VOLTRON - ELBOW - Created by Shadeling - Unfolded by IndieFilmGeek

green lion parts.JPG
VOLTRON - GREEN LION ARM - Created by Shadeling - Unfolded by IndieFilmGeek

Lion legs.JPG
VOLTRON - RED & GREEN LION LEG - Created by Shadeling - Unfolded by IndieFilmGeek

blue head.JPG
VOLTRON - BLUE LION HEAD - Created by Shadeling - Unfolded by IndieFilmGeek

blue lion jaw.JPG
VOLTRON - BLUE LION JAW - Created by Shadeling - Unfolded by IndieFilmGeek

blue lion body.JPG
VOLTRON - BLUE LION BODY - Created by Shadeling - Unfolded by IndieFilmGeek

Tail.JPG
VOLTRON - BLUE-YELLOW LION TAIL - Created by Shadeling - Unfolded by IndieFilmGeek

BlackLionHead.JPG
VOLTRON - BLACK LION HEAD - Created by Shadeling - Unfolded by IndieFilmGeek

Black Wings.JPG (this is created for 11"x17")
VOLTRON - BLACK LION WINGS - Created by Shadeling - Unfolded by IndieFilmGeek

blue-yellow-LEGS.JPG
VOLTRON - BLUE-YELLOW LEGS - Created by Shadeling - Unfolded by IndieFilmGeek

yellow lion head.JPG
VOLTRON - YELLOW LION HEAD - Created by Shadeling - Unfolded by IndieFilmGeek

While I've unfolded a few models just for my personal build this is the first set I'm posting for public consumption. Please bare with me, as I'm still learning a LOT about Pepakura and how to best unfold models. If you'd rather unfold these yourself, please feel free to do so (Shadeling is posting the unfolded files in this thread).

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC00907.jpg
    DSC00907.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 3,397
Last edited:
Re: Voltron Reference Toy?

I have in my collection very large, overly detailed files on all 5 lions that need a lot of work. I can try to clean them up for you if your interested.

3D models would be great. I've been hunting around the web and there seems to be quite a bit of interest in Voltron pepakura-friendly models (there simply doesn't seem to be any around). If you were to work on the models to get them ready for unfolding, I'm sure our whole community would appreciate them! Also, I'm not GREAT at unfolding, but I'd certainly be willing to share any unfolded files I create from models you provide. I truly think there would be some serious interest in having that type of Voltron reference available for builders here on theRPF.

I have in my collection very large, overly detailed files on all 5 lions that need a lot of work. I can try to clean them up for you if your interested.

Voltron Reference Toy?

Holy Snikey! :eek How many poly's is that beast?!

294k... gonna try to use it as a pattern, recreate new like tracing paper I think is gonna be the easiest.

The Black Lion is 694K... they are ungodly huge

If you want, I can throw the original files up for you to use as reference. There is a ton of detail in them. I was planing on turning them into pep eventually, it just may take a bit

Last edited:

...gonna try to use it as a pattern, recreate new like tracing paper I think is gonna be the easiest.

That makes sense!

If you want, I can throw the original files up for you to use as reference. There is a ton of detail in them. I was planing on turning them into pep eventually, it just may take a bit

If you can output a low-poly version in .obj format, I can unfold them in Pepakura and then post the unfolded .pdo files for folks to on the forum to use.

Thanks, so much for your help - this is going to be a fun project! :)

Re: Voltron references - might be turning into a pepakura project

That's awesome! I'm going to grab some card stock and get this printed!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Re: Voltron references - might be turning into a pepakura project

Are you still gonna do the unfolding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

294k... gonna try to use it as a pattern, recreate new like tracing paper I think is gonna be the easiest.

The Black Lion is 694K... they are ungodly huge

Hey I can help with cleaning up the models if you want.

Sure thing. The problem with them is they are not 3D objects, more like HD walls put together. I'm pretty much building over them with new pieces then merging/subtracting. I can put the legs up tonight, with the arms sharing the same items (feet, hinge, ect...) I bet the blue and yellow would follow the same pattern

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Edit) Was running late this morning, I'll have the files up after work for ya xevanx

Last edited:
I don't know that there is a 3D printer big enough to print these. I think mine still has the largest printable area and it still wouldn't be large enough. I can't wait to see the finished costume in person! You had BETTER bring the kids by my house for Halloween! This is epic!

Chris

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back