Aliens m577 apc

Jon Kelley

Have perused Aliens Legacy, alienscollection.com, and even pillaged around with Google-Fu, and I'm not getting much of anywhere...

Are there extant anything resembling blueprints (or even dimensioned sketches) for the M577 APC from Aliens? I've had it in my head for a while to try to build up something in the range of 1:1 scale (not quite, tho - we're limited to 96" wide to keep something street legal...) or to at least design it and see if anyone else wants to tackle the project.

Why? Why not?

And I do have the USCM Technical Manual - finally! - but it doesn't give me a whole lot to work with, either.

I know the original base vehicle was an aircraft tug, but I'll probably think of something more along the lines of a modified light truck frame, or just design the whole bloody thing from scratch. We'll see.

It's just something that's been niggling at my mind for quite some time. Given what I've seen of the vague exterior dimensions (it's ten feet wide...) and my desire to try to have this thing be street legal, I'll probably design it out to something like 7:10 scale or so (with a spec width of 7'/84", then bring everything else into line accordingly.)

Can anyone help?

(I usually consider collecting more IDs and stuff like that, but this is just something that I've had on my mind for quite some time, and I've always wanted to see if it could be done! Make a fun ride out of SF Bay Area commutes, no?)

This seemed like the best place to put such a request, even though it can't really be considered a "model" in the conventional sense.

(I'd kinda like to do the bikes from Dredd as well, but I'd have to get my M/C end. again...)

Personally I'd trade in my Toyota for a M577 any day.

Jon have you considered scaling up one of these puppies?

Aoshima Alien | eBay

I don't know how common they are but the computer science department at my local university has had a 3D scanner for a while.

Used KraussMaffei Towbarless Aircraft Pushback Tractor, #7187 | AERO Specialties

I'd love someone to build a 1:1 m577 - could be a kickstarter?

Interestingly krauss maffei made half tracks during WW2.

If I am ready the specs right, its over 12 foot wide and weighs over 18 tons. I know a few people have talked about a street legal APC. But I think max vehicle width in california is 8-6 (or there about) with out a wide load permit. If have thought maybe using a truck chassie. Maybe a Unimog. (?)

Wouldn't be 1:1 - from what I've seen so far, it would probably be about 13:20 or 7:10. As I recall, FMVSS sez OAW <=84" (seven feet) without special permitting. Perhaps 96" (eight feet,) I'd have to check.

I'd had half a mind to try to keep it under 2m (~6'8") anyhow.

The biggest thing to worry about - and why I need the drawings - is whether it can be based off of a modified COTS/OEM chassis, or would it be easier to scratchbuild?

For powerplant, I'm likely to think something like, say, a pair of 4BTs driving dynamos, and go with electric drive (there are a number of advantages to this, not the least of which would be fuel economy. I'd like to avoid rating the beast in "gallons per mile," and a Dieselectric drivetrain gives me a means to do that. It also allows for mechanical simplification, and reduces the space need of the drivetrain overall. And, using a pair of 4BTs will allow greater flexibility in mounting the core than going with a larger single Diesel. Plus, the 4BT may be readily converted to WVO or Greasel.) Electric drive can effectively eliminate the need for transmissions, and gives you full torque from zero (or close to it,) making it easier to get the thing moving.

Put drive motors in each wheel, maintain the four-wheel steering using the engines for hydraulic power sources. Probably ram steering, but I'm not sure yet. Would be easiest to plumb and control, tho (and probably even provide for switchable operation - front-steer, rear-steer, or four-steer.)

With the space saved on drivetrain, and no need for all the structure to have held the original ballast, and the fact that the "armor" is set-dressing, that may reduce the TARDIS effect on the interior, and perhaps it could be closer to screen-accurate? Also, given the advances in technology (weren't all of the status displays and remote cam displays CRTs? That ramps up both space and power requirements over using LCD/LED...) that could be knocked down still further.

Anyhow, now that my membership at Aliens Legacy has been approved, I can pillage around there some more, and see what else I can find. While it's unlikely that I'm going to be able to actually do anything with this anytime soon, if I can get information, I'd be happy to put it out here and maybe someone else could pick up the ball and run with it (and, if you're close enough, perhaps I could even get to help with the fabrication, and get some "stick time"?)

The tug listed for 12,000.00 says it is inoperative with parts removed. Lot of money for something not running and no idea what the cost to fix would be. For that amount I think a truck chassie could be bought and used as a starting platform.

Didn't spot it wasn't running. Still, I'm sure people here have paid more for screen accuracy!

True - but "screen accurate" wouldn't be "street legal," without some heavy permitting...

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward "scratchbuild" - so the more I know going in, the better (since it won't be "100%SA" anyhow, given that the first thing I'm going to have to do is knock the scale down a bit - the two likely possibles are mentioned above, either 7:10 or 13:20.)

The tug listed for 12,000.00 says it is inoperative with parts removed. Lot of money for something not running and no idea what the cost to fix would be. For that amount I think a truck chassie could be bought and used as a starting platform.
I'm guessing that "parts removed" refers to the several tonnes of lead ballast needed to provide enough traction for the vehicle to haul around jetliners.

From there site.
Specifications
This unit is available for parts or as a rebuildable unit. Missing items Include Main Drive Traction Motors and many small parts.
Sounds like they took what they wanted and are selling off the rest.

Maybe we should start a 1:1 scale APC build ideas thread in the props section?

EDIT. I started up a thred here. http://www.therpf.com/f9/aliens-m577apc-full-size-build-discussion-thread-210132/ :D

Last edited:
The Star Trek fans are making their own episodes. We could make an APC and drive over a plastic Enterprise model to the sound of a military drum roll!!!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back