10th Doctor Who's Converse, From White to Natural CHEAP!

Indy Magnoli

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been looking for a pair of accurate natural colored Converse All Stars for a 10th Doctor outfit... but they seem a little harder to find than the white. I managed to get a pair of white Cons locally for really cheap, so thought I'd try tea-dyeing them. This is how they started:

mag-conv0_zpsd703bc28.jpg

Step 1: Soak six tea bags in hot water for five minutes (more bags will give you a darker color):

mag-conv1_zps71819264.jpg

Step 2: Remove the laces and submerge the shoes in the giant cup of tea and let soak for about an hour (I left these for closer to 90 min):

mag-conv2_zps3695c5ad.jpg

Step 3: Rinse and hang out to dry... the end result:

mag-conv3_zpsa6039a37.jpg

If you want a uniform dyeing, stir the mix more frequently. If you want a more uneven, distressed look, don't mix.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Magnoli

I love the outcome! Did you put the shoes into the bowl when the tea was still hot/warm or did you let it cool down first?

That turned out really well, they actually look more like Tennant's original pair than the current off-white color. Way less yellow.

I love the outcome! Did you put the shoes into the bowl when the tea was still hot/warm or did you let it cool down first?

I put them in right away, but the water is only hot from the faucet/tap... plenty comfortable to put your hands into.

I put them in right away, but the water is only hot from the faucet/tap... plenty comfortable to put your hands into.

Thanks for the info! I just wasn't sure whether or not the shoes would keep their form when put in hot water (material deforming, fabric shrinking etc). I guess my pair converse is in for a bath tomorrow :)

Mine ended up costing about 1/3 of that... ;)

Are the laces cream on those version? I'm pretty sure the Doctor's laces are white. Maybe the photos on the Converse site are just colorized.

i love the look of these. i have a pair of white converse i was gonna use for my 10th doc. but ill definitely be using this process they look pretty darn accurate.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back