Can you help out the Mythbusters?

asavage

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all,

We're setting up to do the Knight Rider drive-up-a-ramp-and-into-a-truck stunt on the show.

If anyone can point me to a replica KITT that we can rent/use/borrow for the segment, we'd be much obliged. Any info you have should be sent to my field producer Latrice Beal, latrice_beal@beyond.com.au.
It's not required to do the stunt, but it'd be great.

Thanks all.

adam

I know there is at least one Kitt car replica in the Bay area as I have seen it parked outside, err, by, a strip club my last visit, to,,, the, Bay area....

Kandy,
if your reading this, girl, pow. ;)

Adam,

Screw Kitt. think back to 80's video games....Spyhunter.....

You could do oil slicks machine guns and all kinds of other bits.:) I bet it would be cheaper than getting the rights to Knight rider too.

Oh and did you all ever try to shoot guns at each other and see if you could make the bullets hit and fall where they impacted?

pat

Adam,

there is a guy in FLA that sells KR / Kitt parts on Ebay.
IIRC he has some cars.
perhaps someone here knows him or search Ebay for Kitt info.

john :cool

I'm sure anyone would be proud to have their K.I.T.T. featured on Mythbusters (even though there is a chance that a 20 metre rig isn't sufficient stopping distance at 60MPH without kickass ceramic brakes like an F1 car.) but wasn't that stunt first performed in The Italian Job? or even before? or are we just going for the fact that this stunt was performed every week for the best part of the 80's (and beyond thanks to dvd.) and will be really familiar to everyone. Can't wait to see how this'll turn out. :)

I look forward to seeing what ever you come up with on this. I believe that you can dreive a car into a stationary truck. The car driving into a moving truck is the one that is moving 50 mph, is definitely something for myth busters (and good brakes)

This, of course is a wasted post; I don't know where to find a black trans-am. Sorry.

Cool idea for a show, but since they obviously didn't CG or bluescreen it in the KR episodes, I don't know what 'myth' there is to 'bust'...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LZeitgeist @ Feb 16 2007, 10:03 PM) [snapback]1420593[/snapback]</div>
Cool idea for a show, but since they obviously didn't CG or bluescreen it in the KR episodes, I don't know what 'myth' there is to 'bust'...
[/b]

Yeah I've gotta agree with ya.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LZeitgeist @ Feb 17 2007, 03:03 AM) [snapback]1420593[/snapback]</div>
[/b]

A truck is traveling at 50 mph down the road and lowers its tailgate (ramp) for a car to drive up. The car driving behind the truck is also traveling at 50 mph. Their net speed is zero. Then the car accellerate to 55 mph to enter the truck; their net speed is 5 mph only as long as the rear tire (drive tire) is on pavement. The instant the rear tire touches the ramp, it is part of the truck, and now traveling at 55mph into the truck and have to come to a complete stop in 30 feet before you crash into the cab of the truck.

If anyone can build a braking system for this, the Myth Busters can. (And I want to see it)

Well you have to think when that tire hits the ramp it probably won't just grab on and go, there will be some spin involved for the first second or so with the rubber on metal, and the ramp is angled upward so as long as you hit the brakes quick......

Aww who am I kidding....SPLAT.. :lol

What about that KITT from Benchwarmers. They let Lovitz drive it, they're sure to let you guys have it.

They did this same stunt in the original Italian Job with Michael Caine. They do it where I believe several minis are parked in the back of the truck. The special features talks about this particular stunt quite a bit actually.

Nick

Since generally at the end of the myth busting efforts they go whole hog and try something extreme,

Two words...

Turbo boost.

turbo.jpg

And I'm of the opinion we're discounting the transmission as well. I have no basis in physics to believe anything I'm about to say, it's all based on my driving experience.

It's hard to keep a car moving forward at 50 mph. Yes, it's hard to stop, but any sharp incline (like the incline of a ramp to the 4' deck of a truck) will greatly reduce the momentum of the car. Assuming the car has a clutch, if the car is going 50 MPH, the truck would simply move in front of the car and quickly slow down as the driver of the car engages the clutch and thereby disengages the engine. Not only do you have to account for the incline, but also the change in traction between the asphalt road and metal ramps.

keep in mind that they do stunts like this all the time with untrained amatuers on Fear Factor. Not an enclosed truck but a flat bed. A truck none the less.

While I'll admit that the KITT factor would be cool, I don't see why the stunt couldn't be attempted with a readily available early to mid eighties trans am.

Go to new jersey - people there still think that those are cool cars to drive :lol

But I would love to see you guys pull off the turbo boost thing. I don't know if the show used jump ramps or comressed air or a combination of the two, but I've wanted a car with turbo boost since I was 8 years old.

-Fred

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back