Modding the MR Elite ANH DL-44

Jack

Hi everyone,

First, I'm sorry if I make some mistakes but English isn't my main language, but I will do my best... :D

Now, I'm in the process of modding my MR Elite Han Solo ANH blaster. I want to do exactly the same as what Steve Dymszo did to his replica, mainly :
- Disassemble the whole blaster,
- Removing the powdercoating on the Mauser body,
- Replacing the MR sight with a real Mauser sight,
- Stamping in all the serial numbers,
- Polishing and rebluing the Mauser body,
- Replacing the MR scope and flash hider with steel (and brass) ones from DEC,
- Weather the scope mount, and the whole "beast" with rust chemicals,
- Seal with clearcoat.

I plan on using Birchwood Casey Alluminum black to reblue the Mauser body, using the tutorial posted here on the RPF for the Tomenosuke BR blaster.
For the Mauser itself, I was lucky to find a real sight in France but I still need to figure out how to remove the MR sight... I will post a complete tutorial also on how to disassemble the MR blaster. But that's not to difficult by the way. ;)

My main concern is how to remove the powdercoating and if the Zamak MR blaster will take the blackening solution..?
I was thinking on having the parts submerge in Acetone and then using different wired tools on my Dremel. Don't know if anybody did this before and wants to share his experience ?
For the Aluminum black, I will check it once the blaster is clean and polished but it should be almost the same as blueing a BR blaster...

Also, one last question, concerning the serial numbers : What is the actual size of the numbers on a real Mauser. I was thinking of using 3mm number stamps. Is this correct, or should I use 4mm numbers ? Thanks.

Stay tuned for updates. Thanks.

Definitely sounds like a fun project, I'd love to get my hands on a MR Elite Edition sometime. BTW, could you be persuaded to sell the MR scope if you are replacing it with a steel and brass one? Pics would also be nice, as I'd love to see it!

Definitely sounds like a fun project, I'd love to get my hands on a MR Elite Edition sometime. BTW, could you be persuaded to sell the MR scope if you are replacing it with a steel and brass one? Pics would also be nice, as I'd love to see it!

Oh, I'm sorry Vanitas, but I already sold my MR scope here on the RPF not so long ago...

But I will also post some pics this WE when I'm done disassembling the MR blaster. ;)

Oh, I'm sorry Vanitas, but I already sold my MR scope here on the RPF not so long ago...

But I will also post some pics this WE when I'm done disassembling the MR blaster. ;)

BLARGH! Sounds like a plan to me. It's alright about the scope though, I'm trying to make a homemade one out of copper pipe, a resin greeblies, and miscellaneous parts. Still, I don't own or have access to a lathe or cnc machine though, and fabricating parts has been **** though. If anybody you know has some spare ANH parts, or a MR Elite Edition DL-44 for sale, then please let me know. And BTW, I measured the umbers stamped on some real Mauser parts that I have, and I came up with a size of 3.175mm, so I would use 3mm number stamps. Hope this helps!

Thanks for size of the numbers, so 3mm seems to be the way to go (Scottjua also told me the same).

Concerning the scopes, Corellian exports makes some nice resin ANH scopes and Lichtbringer here on the RPF some nice metal ones. You may try to contact them. They also pop up from time to time in the JY.

Do you know what would be a decent price range to pick up a metal scope for? I'm also already signed up for the simplified run of ANH parts, but for another side project, do you have any advice on a realistic budget?

You can strip the coating from the. MR with acitone. Also, whine thing I did with mine that you might consider, I modified the safety so that it moves.

Did the safety originally not move on the MR EE version? I thought it had complete moving parts. Besides, I don't own one myself (Though I SO WISH that I did), so I don't know many specifics about it myself - only from what I'd gleaned from pics and reading about it.

Yep, I did some progress on my MR Elite, but Darth Real Life interfered with my beloved hobby and I have to push things back a bit.

For now, I have completely dissasembbled the pistol :
That's very easy, simply unscrew every screw you see and you should be mostly done.

Here's a quick explanation how I did it :
Start with removing the scope from the mount (carfull, it's glued on). Remove the four screws and then you can remove the scope, I used a kitchen tool out of woud not to scratch the metal. A little pressure and it pops right out.

Don't forget to remove the grips, but that's easy.
Next, you can remove the flash hider by simply unscrewing one screw at the front, and it slides right off.

That's for the easy parts. The rest is not much complicated either :
Unscrew the side scope mount bolts (carfull, as for the scope, the screws are glued together and glued to the gun, I used a set of pliers and a kitchen towel (again, not to scratch the metal). Remove everything, the bolts from the screws and the screws from the gun.
Underneath the mount, you will see two tiny screws. When you remove them, you can slide out the back of the gun with the hammer, etc. (may require a little pressure to pull it out).

After that, remove the "safety-pin" screw on the back of the top part of the gun. Next, remove the pin on the side that holds the sight in place and the sight slides right out. There's one last screw left underneath. Remove it and you can slide of the top part of the gun and you're done.

For now, I have replaced the MR scope by the DEC replica scope (I had to dremel a pin on the top part of the MR scope mount for the scope to fitt). I also replaced the MR Flash hider by the DEC one.
Next, I replaced the MR sight by a real Mauser sight. In order to do this I had to dremel two "channels" where the previous sight was, in order for the new sight to simply slide in. But it was worth the extra work, the real sight really makes the replica look A LOT better !
For now, I simply reassembled the gun as I don't have the time to work on it right now.

I will post some pictures of what I did later today or tomorrow.

You can strip the coating from the. MR with acitone. Also, whine thing I did with mine that you might consider, I modified the safety so that it moves.

Thanks Anakin. Yep, acetone works just fine to remove the ugly paint from the MR Elite. I used some wired tools on my dremel to clean everything after that and finaly polished the metal.
Do you maybe have some more info on what you did to your replica that you are willing to share ? Maybe some pictures ?
Did you reblued your replica or repainted it (and what bluing solution did you use) ?

Thank you !

BTW, do either of you have any good ideas as to where to pick up a MR Elite Edition DL-44? I've already marked ebay, and no one here seems to be willing to part with theirs either. Some of them I have seen go for RIDICULOUS amounts of money, much more than what I could ever pay for one. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

Hey there. I finaly found some time to make a few pics of my MR Elite how it looks now. In the end, I decided to leave the black MR paint on most of the parts and to make an "as first build" version. Main reason to this is because it's really a pain in the *%&@ to remove the crapy black paint from the body of the Mauser. I did however remove it on some parts to make it look more like the real Mausers I've seen.
You can also see the added real sight that has been reblued, the DEC H&W steel and brass replica scope and the DEC steel Flash supressor.

Sorry if the pics do look a bit blurry... But let me know what you guys think !

13823013533_3ffdb3e198_o.jpg

13823013473_fc9eab90c8_o.jpg

13823335784_1680791736_o.jpg

That looks AWESOME!!! I just bought my very first MGC Mauser C96 the other day, but I wish I could get my hands on a MR ANH Elite Edition instead to make it look as cool as yours! :thumbsup

Hey there. I finaly found some time to make a few pics of my MR Elite how it looks now. In the end, I decided to leave the black MR paint on most of the parts and to make an "as first build" version. Main reason to this is because it's really a pain in the *%&@ to remove the crapy black paint from the body of the Mauser. I did however remove it on some parts to make it look more like the real Mausers I've seen.
You can also see the added real sight that has been reblued, the DEC H&W steel and brass replica scope and the DEC steel Flash supressor.

Sorry if the pics do look a bit blurry... But let me know what you guys think !

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3783/13823013533_3ffdb3e198_o.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3764/13823013473_fc9eab90c8_o.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3795/13823335784_1680791736_o.jpg

I also have a few quick questions for you about the MR ANH EE: does the bolt slide back, or is it static? Also, does the hammer pull back whenever the trigger is pulled, or do you have to manually cock back the hammer to make it fire?

Thanks Vanitas ! But even if the MR Elite does look nice, I think the MGC Mauser is still much better because all the parts move.
It should look amazing with the new DEC kit !

To answer your question :
Nope, the bolt is static. And, nope, the hammer does not pull back when you pull the trigger (same as on a real Mauser, the MGC and the Denix). But, you can manually cock it back and then you can pull the trigger and the mecanism works ( as compared to the ESB version that is all static).

;)

Yeah, that was the main reason that I never bought the ESB version myself. I've also heard that the safety doesn't move either, is that accurate? And BTW, if anybody you know would be willing to trade their MR ANH EE for a nice MGC Mauser C96, then please, let them know!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back