Starlord's sony walkmen? guardian of the galaxy?

Has anyone found any "close enough" headphones? All the listings I've see for the real deals (with or without orange foam covers) are about the same price as a full Walkman.

-Nick

I have the Sony headphones that came with my TPS-L2 (MDR-3LT) but I found these and I like the look of them better than the Sonys. The 5a is a rare bird. Can't wait to see what ensues when a pair finally pop up for sale...

found these they cheap headphones.JPG

The first step of modifying mt TCM-600 is done, I used Testors Transparent Blue Metallic directly on the bare metal after taking apart and masking off the other portions of the unit.

10557221_10152361544500892_1479867728483378051_n.jpg

Then, in order to get the silver back on the raised arrow, instead of bothering with more paint, I masked off the entire front of the player and used 500 grit to sand through both the tape and the paint, leaving me with a nice, clean, silver arrow.

10603791_10152361544525892_1258334049950735000_n.jpg

10609413_10152361544535892_8298196971148373236_n.jpg

There's also a slight texturing of the paint that I'm rather pleased with that this photo shows off.

10526144_10152361544815892_4038579685836471236_n.jpg

I'll put in more work on it tomorrow, and am looking for someone/somewhere I can have the silver vinyl "SONY" and "WALKMAN" decals made up for a good price.

This thread is really pulling together and I love it!

Also, I made up the Awesome Mix Vol. 1 labels in photoshop using the album photo. I'm actually planning on getting some labels made up at a local print shop, but for now I'm going to be using my printer for test purposes at home.

View attachment 359058

That picture is set to exact proportions of 8 1/2 by 11 inch printer paper, so if you print it out with no borders, it should be life size and ready to be cut and glued onto a cassette. When printed, the label should be about 3 3/4 inches wide and fit on the tape, which is 3 7/8 wide.

What font did you use CrowTreeRobot, if you don't mind me asking?

I didn't actually use any font at all, I found a very hi-res image of the soundtrack cover and used photoshop to replicate the text onto my own version of the label.
View attachment 361141

Ah, gotcha, Thanks. That makes sense, probably hand lettered by one of the propmakers. I only ask because I want to do a case label for mine with the track listing.

I found a few fonts that are close-ish and may play around with them to make them match more closely. Here they are if anyone else wants to try to do the same:

http://www.dafont.com/you-wont-bring-me-down.font?text=AWESOME+MIX+VOL+1

http://www.dafont.com/ampersand.font?text=AWESOME+MIX+VOL+1

http://www.dafont.com/julies.font?text=AWESOME+MIX+VOL+1

http://www.dafont.com/weigl.font?text=AWESOME+MIX+VOL+1

Hey guys I have been on the rpf for a little while now and I just saw Guardians of the galaxy last night and loved it. I did some research on the cassette exact used in the movie for the AWSOME MIX Vol. 1 & 2. I was able to get my hands on a few of them. I was wondering if anyone knows about the type of label used and/or where I could get one. Concerning making a label at a print shop, does anyone know if there is a way to make the print raised?

Does anyone know what the dimensions of this are? I'm thinking of possibly "making" one out of foam and worbla or something. If I know the base dimensions, I can use that to figure out the size of each section.

Dimensions (WHD)150 x 90 x 35 mm / 5.9 x 3.5 x 1.4 inch
NotesThis first ever "Walkman" TPS-L2 with a full metal case was introduced in 1979 and was named differently in different countries: Japan and some other countries = Walkman; USA = SoundAbout "Stereo Cassette Player"; UK = Stowaway; Sweden = Freestyle.

Has anyone here tried the "Drinkman" which is a Walkman lookalike flask? Looks pretty close but says Drinkman instead of Walkman. The "button" on the top is the cap.
drinkman.jpg

Should have my WM-3 in the mail at the moment. Hoping it still functions.

As for the MDR-5A, I was speaking to someone who has been thinking of 3d printing them....

If anyone is still looking for these, try Craigslist. I got two TPS-L2s for an extremely reasonable price. Sketchy, yes (there were a few moments when I questioned my life choices), but it worked out.

Now I'm just working on the best belt clip. What's been working for everyone?

Last edited:
If anyone is still looking for these, try Craigslist. I got two TPS-L2s for an extremely reasonable price. Sketchy, yes (there were a few moments when I questioned my life choices), but it worked out.

Now I'm just working on the best belt clip. What's been working for everyone?

Seriously? I was searching every state through craigslist and never saw anything

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back