The Jason's Batman 1989 Manikin Project

13doctorwho

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have a manikin that I made a comic Batman costume with found parts. Recently my parents bought me an unfinished life sized Batman 1989 bust.

It gave me the idea of mounting it to the manikin to make a life sized Batman, like a huge action figure. Unfortunately, the only thing from my current costume that is appropriate to that version of Batman is the cape. I can't really afford to buy one of the expensive rubber kits, so I decided to make it out of foam rubber. I made a Batman Forever version this way 15 years ago, but I know I can do a lot better now.

The first step is the Utility Belt.

I created a 3D model of the buckle and had it printed by Shapeways. I sculpted a "capsule" and made a mold to make them out of resin. The rest is foam rubber from the craft store. At this point it is assembled and primed.

It needs a little touch up and then painting. I think it's not too bad considering the amount of money I had to spend. Take a look and let me know what you think!!!!!

Assembled, un-primed
P2220034.JPG

Primed
P2230037.JPG

Closeup
P2230039.JPG

It's been a while. I had to start the belt over. The belt has to bend a lot to fit and the primer cracked, so it was back to the drawing board.

I used the same buckle and capsules, but completely redid the belt. I found a yellow foam closer to the yellow of the belt and, of course, the paint I had available. I paint the buckle and capsules and then built the foam belt around them. There is an obvious color difference between the painted parts and the foam belt, but it doesn't look too bad.

I still need to decide the best way to attach the halves in the back, but that can wait for now.

Here are some pictures of the mostly completed belt. Take a look and let me know what you think.

P3110035.JPG

P3110031.JPG

P3110032.JPG

Last edited:
Here are some better pictures of the utility belt. The last one is a close up of the belt on the manikin. The suit the manikin is wearing is currently the wrong color, but you get the idea. Take a look and let me know what you think.

full belt.jpg

buckle.jpg

belt on waist.jpg

It's been a while, but I finally have some progress. I was given a Batman 89 life sized bust kit about a year ago and finally got it done. It wasn't the greatest cast so it took a lot of putty and sanding before it was even ready to prime. It took me about three weeks from start to finish. Here's a picture. Take a look and let me know what you think!!

I have a black body suit, so the next step is foam armor.

Batman 89 Model Kit post.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back