Diamond Select Back to the Future Mr. Fusion replica BTTF

Re: Diamond Select Mr. Fusion

Great write up Vivek. What gets me is if the Krups is the right size, then the black base is waaaay undersized in regards to it's overall diameter. That's part of what's throwing off the white lid element as well. Of course the proportions of the Krups look off as well, so I have no idea where the source problem is with this replica. It's just "off" all the way around.

-Gary

I would be happy if they just do the black and white base accurate. The coffee grinder replica could be the biggest crap, it wouldn't even bother me, since I would replace it by a real Krups in ANY case.

True enough. The Krups replica is not a deal breaker. However, I really think everything about this prototype is "off".

Remember DST got their Flux Capacitor "prototype" from Ebay and it was nowhere close to accurate. They didn't change a thing from their "prototype" and in reality made it even worse with shoddy detailing and backwards electronics.

I honestly don't expect much more effort regarding their Fusion.

True enough. The Krups replica is not a deal breaker. However, I really think everything about this prototype is "off".

Remember DST got their Flux Capacitor "prototype" from Ebay and it was nowhere close to accurate. They didn't change a thing from their "prototype" and in reality made it even worse with shoddy detailing and backwards electronics.

I honestly don't expect much more effort regarding their Fusion.

True, but...

even if it is, as you said, I like the Flux capacitor, no problem with the backwards electronic and it looks cool in display, of course it could be more acurate, but I think most fans are satisfied. Remember: Not everyone is sitting hours and hours in fron of screenshots a make comparisons...

Let's wait for the final result, and if the price is ok, I think I will get one a take a closer look for myself... Resell is still an option then...

BTW: Does it do anything?!? Smoke? Light? Anything?

They fixed the backwards fluxing issue in their second run, but the enclosure color is still white instead of being grey. That was just a plain stupid decision. Even screen shots are not needed for comparison. They were offered hi-res photos and details months before it went into production, they promised they would consider making it more accurate and they did nothing.

In the end it really boils down to the individual fan on what they feel is acceptable enough in terms of accuracy. So if somebody is happy with their DST replicas, more power to them :thumbsup.

BTW: Does it do anything?!? Smoke? Light? Anything?
As I mentioned in my above blog post, it does have sound and smoke effects.

Great write up Vivek. What gets me is if the Krups is the right size, then the black base is waaaay undersized in regards to it's overall diameter. That's part of what's throwing off the white lid element as well. Of course the proportions of the Krups look off as well, so I have no idea where the source problem is with this replica. It's just "off" all the way around.
Thanks Gary. I wonder why they didn't use the real Krups grinder to make their final mold. When Oliver and Terry were touring the country, they were also in Baltimore which is DST headquarters. DST took photos and measurements of the Mr. Fusion from their car. I understand if DST used those details for their initial research purposes, but their Mr. Fusion is modified to have additional electronics at the bottom, hence the different base. DST should have used multiple sources and references before rolling out with this prototype.

They fixed the backwards fluxing issue in their second run, but the enclosure color is still white instead of being grey. That was just a plain stupid decision. Even screen shots are not needed for comparison. They were offered hi-res photos and details months before it went into production, they promised they would consider making it more accurate and they did nothing.

I just saw pictures of a box with a sheet of paper, where the Flux-Y is printed on... So, I was positive surprised when I received my Capacitor...

They changed the lights in the 2nd run, right... but the strobe flasher was missing... So I decide to keep my first run capacitor... And it looks just awesome in the dark, when I'm watching a movie and just the tv and the display lights are on and the Flux is fluxing... :lol:popcorn

Yeah like said above, thmikeat base is way off. UGH...reminds me of the one they had at one of the Universal studio cars...which were terribly inaccurate.
mike

Looks decent, hopefully just a prototype. I like the smoke effect, though.

I threw my money at my screen to see if that would help the appearance, but it still looks the same. :D

I'm going to need a straw -- based on DST's other products I don't think I'll be able to hold my breath....

Kinda off topic but the BTTF hats they sell...what are they like quality wise? Are these the ones that have all the NIKE logo's etc inside??

How is it going to handle smoke effects? Do we fill the black part up with water and dump dry ice in it?

Not confirmed. But I am guessing it's either dry ice or by using liquid nitrogen similar to some of the fog machines.

Not confirmed. But I am guessing it's either dry ice or by using liquid nitrogen similar to some of the fog machines.

Or maybe it's just one of those "glides over most surfaces" promises. And in the end we will get smoked glass (or plastic) that just looks like there's smoke inside. :lol

considering dry ice can be dangerous...I sure it just has a bowl inside you fill with water and drop in a diffusers like the halloween witches cauldron, or those mist effects.

Okay just saw that it was mentioned by one of the attendees as "with steam", so just heated water then.

Kinda off topic but the BTTF hats they sell...what are they like quality wise? Are these the ones that have all the NIKE logo's etc inside??

No these aren't the nike ones. To my knowledge those weren't mass produced.
I have the DST hat. It's pretty good quality, though very stiff. The colors look spot-on, but the cap is not quite the right shape and has an adjustable strap. There's a few threads about it around.
---

I couldn't see them using dry ice or liquid nitrogen for the smoke effect. Neither are very save to handle and are not easily purchased. (You don't just walk into a drug store and buy liquid nitrogen. :lol) Also, if it made steam, it would have to get very hot, which is not something I would want in my house. It would have to be something safe, easier to obtain, and long-lasting (like a chemical formula in a bottle). Two things that come to mind are fog machine solution, or that 'liquid smoke' used for model trains.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back