Luke ANH Mylar Tape Question

BillyTheKid

I apologize for all the Luke Lightsaber questions I've been posing in the last year, but I have one more. Can anybody tell me for certain if the Luke ANH Lightsaber had mylar tape covering the Graflex lettering on the middle band? In all of the pics from the filming of ANH, I cannot determine indefinitely if the saber had the tape or not.
I recently just created a replica Luke ANH saber using an original Graflex and an original TI Exactra 20 LED display in the clamp, the only thing I have left to do is put the mylar tape on the middle band if indeed the saber originally had it.

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

First off... how dare you build and not post pics.:D

Second... I dunno. I didn't add yet to mine... I kind of like "Graflex" written on it, and am pretty sure they didn't cover it anyway (or telling myself that because I like it the way it is)

Hi there,

indeed ... we love pix of graflex based lightsabers ... so please post some of yours ... that said I don't like the tape either ... but I suppose James Kenobi 1138 or Lonepigeon will join us soon to give the final answer on this intricate matter ...

Chaim

Oh yes, of course...where are my manners:

Luke ANH Original Parts Lightsaber 2.JPG

Luke ANH Original Parts Lightsaber 3.JPG

wow ... great lightsabers ... well done! And I knew that James would solve this matter ... so there you go ... no mylar tape on ANH!

Chaim

There is no tape on the clamp for the ANH Luke Graflex.

wow ... great lightsabers ... well done! And I knew that James would solve this matter ... so there you go ... no mylar tape on ANH!

Chaim

Hi! Sorry to bring back this old post, but I was trying to get info about the Luke ANH and found out that there is no conclusive proof that there is no mylar tape on Luke's ANH... But... Check this out:
It turned out that Roger Christian HIMSELF recognised the fact that HE PUT A CHROMED TAPE ON THE GRAFLEX CLAMP TO HIDE THE NAME

https://youtu.be/Po8pL3Iv5RU?list=PLL0NA8EC2na7YxYD6x8ZlNdnTyPFypmQ9&t=113

As you both @Sym-Cha and @Jameskenobi1138 are more active members here in the forum and have more visibility, I tough that you could spread this info more efficiently than me.

Happy building!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
We just started talking about this in another thread. There's one pic that looks like it might be the edge of some 1 inch tape.

That said, based on what Christen said, some of us are now wondering if tape was put over the ENTIRE clamp. Seeing it on the Chronicles Obi-Wan saber and the V3, which is from the ANH builds-- it might stand to reason it;s on the Graflex as well.

All that said, there's just not enough evidence to say for sure either way.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back