Elsa from Frozen! Nightmare mode set.

Ouch, it's been a while since I updated. In part because I have been distracted in part I have just not had the luck with colour matching any sequins :/

That said I got both the aqua green and cornflower blue sequins from Athena and like them, but not for this dress, or rather the final tonal effect of the dress :)

I have though made an svg to see if I can upload it to the Brother ScannCut site and get it formatted in to a way for the scanner to read. It's a rounded rectangle with itty bitty tiny holes to sew through. If it works I'll also experiment with placing of the sewing holes :)

And I just bought some idye-Poly today to see if I can dye some of my sequin sheets to a slightly deeper colour.

sm_DSC_3729-1.jpg sm_DSC_3731-1.jpg
Testing methods of removing colour from the sequins... pretty reasonable :)

sm_DSC_3739.jpg sm_DSC_3743.jpg sm_DSC_3742.jpg
The skirt cut, it could do with less drape but I like all the fabric :)

sm_DSC_3749.jpg
An attempt to show the contrast between the lining and shell....

sm_DSC_3726.jpg sm_DSC_3727.jpg sm_DSC_3728.jpg
The base patterns. I draped the bodice treating it as a victorian bodice (I will get a proper explanation about this)

And I have just gone and updated my sequin page, which has turned in to a tutorial online!

Full update with links!
http://www.arrayedindreams.com/2014/02/18/making-sequinsspangles/

wpid-dsc_37541.jpg
All the sequins I have tested so far:
Top; Athena Bead cornflower blue, cornflower blue Josey Rose sequin film, aqua green Athena Bead, ditto overdyed with iDye poly Turquoise.
Middle; Sullivan’s (29032- 9mm cup ivory with coating) dyed ditto, Maria George clear with coating 20mm sequin dyed ditto.
Bottom; Sullivan’s cup undyed, Maria George undyed, Elizabeth Craft shimmer sheet (iris) ditto Turquoise.
Turquoise 3mm matte sequin mesh.

wpid-dsc_3765.jpg
And this is how all the sequins I have got look together. Hopefully it shows how very different they all are but how well they work together :) Waiting on the last of my test materials to turn up and then it's a case of dye and assemble for everything!

I have so much extra left over that I'm about to sew some fabric and lining to hopefully pass on some excess stash as make an Elsa kits: I can sew the skirt and bodice up ready for final fitting and to sew the sequins to :)

Sequins in motion, and then the white sequins I bought and what colour they look in direct day light.
DSC_3824.jpgDSC_3832.jpgDSC_3833.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_3827.jpg
    DSC_3827.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 201
Last edited by a moderator:

Please note this is a very kiwi accent ;) At least a kiwi who is very conscious of her accent and so overly carefully pronounces words even with the accent ;)

The new dye-over worked! Today I dyed, dried, pressed and pinned the sequin and tulle layers. So a very needed break for the night and I'll try and sew these layers together tomorrow.

The lining is underway as well. The bodice layers have been sewn and pinned to shape next I need to sew in bust support/enhancehers and boning. Then the temporary zip. The skirt appears to fit really well so then that will need to be balanced with the bodice lining and stitched together.

Once the shell bodice is sewn I'll be able to take a pattern from that and put that in more tulle to sew the large sequins to.

Last edited by a moderator:
The wig looks amazing!

The dress is staring to take a very nice shape too. How did you make the cape? It looks very good!

The cape is a stand in :) Angel Secrets has a few options this in the net, perfect fit across the top might want a tiny bit extra at the sides :) Good though for working with children as the print is a vinyl screen print so nice and durable :)

I've saving up my products for my own cape to work on at the same time as the sequin overlay.

I did manage to get more contruction done today- my cannula was in my right hand but I didn't make the machine go ding which means it was put in properly :) I have promised the nursing staff photos of Saturday (the debut) as they all got to see it in various stages! Just the lining and bodice shell :)

I'll be testing my cunning plan for the cape on the mesh sleeves and shirt :) Just needs to check the viscosity and mixes needed :) And actually fit the thing!

Thank you :)

And a double check, yes, with the royal blue lining the fabric swings back in to the greenish range :)

wpid-dsc_3919.jpg wpid-dsc_3906-1.jpg DSC_3823.jpg

Custom dyeing FTW. Well, I do want to ombre dye the hem but I am not sure how much more I can handle. It's a very heavy dress. And wet? ANyway. I have refitted the skirt shell and bodice shell so the next step is to actually clip the bodice shell seam allowanaces so I can baste it directly on to the bodice lining. The hem and skist split are currently bagging out as I was working from my dress form which is a different shape. I also want to add an elastic stay to the waist to reduce strain on the zip.

The hem is also 4" deep at the front so.. yes. I will want to get the dress finished before ombre dying the hem as that extra hem winds up being a fairly hefty chunk of fabric

I've washed the stunt cape once, and may have to do a fairly hot bath to soften the print. The vinyl print is about as heavy as a good quality tee shirt print so it does want something done to it.

http://www.arrayedindreams.com/tag/elsa/

Did some liveblogging :) And then got sick with side effects and did a spot of unpicking and resewing of the under bodysuit because I have lines of glitter from my temporary paint job that need to be lined up and still match. No photos because I have no mannequin to fit it on (go raglan seams) so I'll have to cut and sewn the snaps in to the.... seat... and then pull the bodysuit over my head as at the moment I'm pulling it up which is over stretching the neckline.

I've seen that chain with rhinestone trim they used on the Once Upon a Time dress and it is seriously tempting... I am keen on using all my beads from my hoard if I can though.. So I'll need to get some shirring elastic to sew them in place :) I also have tiny heat set rhinestones to stick on the ends of points :)

And I really do want to tint the stunt cape a more royal blue. The bodysuit and gown hem also need ombre dyeing. So I may as well make her my proper birthday project and get the dye pot out again :)

wpid-dsc_4014.jpg wpid-dsc_4010.jpg wpid-dsc_4013.jpg

The photos that show my ombre dyeing are on my DSLR so my poor phone is trying to work. This light is not good for it, it can't focus.

Thank you :) I finally tested with a metal zip of doom and it works to hold the waist in place with gives me the proper smooth down over the hips (there is a handy box pleat and I'm stitching it down to hold the skirt over the hips :)

Nice thing about this gown is it packs down in to carry or luggage, ;)

I had to even up the cape so I took the time to then make super ridiculous fine seams (as in none, yay for tulle gathering inside a narrow zig zag! Done it before but the print of the cape was a bit difficult) and paint the hem to match. And then trimmed the hem of the whole thin with scalloped pinking shears and I think I am happy with it as a genuine stunt dress.

But the colour is wrong so it makes my dress look powder/baby blue rather than pale turquoise which is annoying. I'll definite;y have to dip dye the entire thing again (time to buy a larger stock pot I can't fit the entire dress in the current one).

sm_DSC_1203.JPGsm_DSC_1227.JPGsm_DSC_1228.JPG

This shows the ombre effect, it took ages to get the camera setting to pick up on the green.. but this is closest to how it looks.

sm_DSC_1249.JPG

Argh!!!!! Ombre effect lost!

a-DSC_1275.jpg
Where it is as of now.

A lot of handsewing and overlocking on my birthday (tomorrow) but I do like this effect :) And I have beads galore for the undershirt (which now has underseat snaps).

Thank you :) I really need a steamer because ironing that dress after Ombre dyeing has been on my "do not want" list.

But I now have a wearable undershirt (oh the lines of trim look horrible off the body...) ANd tomorrow is my last chance to actually sew up the dress and make it an actual thing. I'm constantly sabotaging my own efforts as I have seen what happens to every single Elsa photo out there. And it's not like you can control it! Anyway. It'll definitely be a nice thing for kids at the park on Sunday :)

unnamed.jpg IMG_1221.JPG

Thank you :) It's still unfinished but it looks like a gown!!!!! Some internal structures need a spot of help (a waist stay and neckline support. And my own cape of course :) Totally changed my plans for that! Sort of. Actually more like going back to original plans :)

Thank you :) Once I am out of Jedi mode- currently covered in purple paint for a troop tomorrow (fixing lekku, eep) I'll be putting in the stay elastic and the horse hair braid. It has slipped a little in the back in the photos so the wist point pulls the skirt up a little more than intended :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back