WIP Karl Kroenen costume (from Hellboy)

TestEagle

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Been working on a few costumes recently, namely Joker Goon costume (1989 Batman) still in progress and my Deathstroke (Arkham Origins) currently stalled. But recently the idea of doing a Karl Kroenen sparked in my mind and I've been unable to shake it, so here goes. Pretty much all parts are source from various vendors and Ive been playing around with creating hidden blades.

Reference photos:
dvd3.jpg3002596-1340268863kroenen.jpg

So far I have (or awaiting delivery):

Mask: (and Balaclava)
$_32.JPG$_3.JPG$_57.JPG

Jackets and pants: (as suggested in another thread)
BSC02c.JPGBSC02g.JPGyhst-11391242254467_2270_980876.jpeg309436915_o.jpg

Hat: (I've gone for a fairly large hat so I can fit mask and balaclava under it)
SKU241H.jpg

Boots:
$(KGrHqRHJCYE+fUlDmEIBQB1g7Wh+!~~60_12.JPG

Badges/Medals/Collar Tabs:

knights_crossWEb.JPGSKU2288Bweb.jpgSKU2130B.jpgsku1818web.jpg

Belt and Buckle:
waffenssofficersbeltbuckle2.jpgwaffenBeltw.JPG

Shirt: (nothing fancy just short sleeve and cheap to try reduce cost and heat when wearing)
$(KGrHqNHJEYE88dNBUO6BPdS+LF-dw~~60_12.JPG

Gun and Holster: (movie references say a Luger P08 but finding a nice replicate and getting into Australia at a reasonable cost is hard, I've had toy/replicate weapons confiscated by costumes before, so I went for a locally sourced P38 and P08 holster, also most images I've seen seem to show a P08 holster)
p38.JPGSKU150Eweb.jpg

Dagger: (will need to modify to make safe for Australian conventions, as blade is removable, I will try to replicate screw shaft and about an inch of blade blunt and rounded on end)
DSC02312.jpg

Hidden Blades:
Roman-Sword-q-682.jpg
I plan to modify 2 of these, either mounted on a rail to appear out of sleeve or I may just go for something fixed.

This was my first attempt as working hidden blades: (blade sits between a metal rail and a piece of curved cardboard, a rubber band is used to make it extended and a ring, a piece fishing like and a pin are used to hold blade in place and release when pulled)
1901199_279155228907536_823085827_n.jpg1609692_279155232240869_896031917_n.jpg

Not going to get armband as it's not seen or cuff label.

Last edited:
I'll keep a close eye on this, it's one costume I really want, I tried getting the info on parts needed a while back but there was no definite list as what it all is, good luck with the build :):thumbsup

I'll keep a close eye on this, it's one costume I really want, I tried getting the info on parts needed a while back but there was no definite list as what it all is, good luck with the build :):thumbsup

I'd be happy enough to share where I have sourced some of my items, feel free to PM.

Tempted to pick up a pair of these, design isn't exact but they are leather (as opposed to the ones above) and looks great.
$_57Chippewa.JPG

Thanks for the offer, I'll pm tomorrow as Its late and off to bed lol :) where are you based? A far as the boots they would both do the job pretty well, but leather would be better for durability if your planning on wearing it a lot :)

Thanks for the offer, I'll pm tomorrow as Its late and off to bed lol :) where are you based? A far as the boots they would both do the job pretty well, but leather would be better for durability if your planning on wearing it a lot :)

No problems, I'm also based in Melbourne Australia, you can also see some of my other cosplays on my facebook page in sig.

My Kroenen mask came today, I think it looks great, shouldn't look to bobble heady once I have 2 leather jackets on, what ya think?
1662071_10152272467786796_711946782_n.jpg

Looking good so far. Kroenen is a personal favourite of mine too. One thing to bear in mind is that the Nazi Kroenen mask has a darker "mouth" part than the Mencken library version which is the version Sideshow made. However, if your mask is the Sideshow one I'd leave it as-is.

Looking good so far. Kroenen is a personal favourite of mine too. One thing to bear in mind is that the Nazi Kroenen mask has a darker "mouth" part than the Mencken library version which is the version Sideshow made. However, if your mask is the Sideshow one I'd leave it as-is.

This mite be a copy of the side show one, found it on eBay, looks like pics so pretty happy with it, would make a nice display, don't think I'll make changes to it, but yeah yeah I did notice the nazi one is darker.

TestEagle: your Kroenen turned out amazing!
I have the mask so far, and have been wanting to do a female twist on the character.
Thanks for the inspiration to actually get back to that project. I don't think I'll have it done by the time Dragon Con (in Atlanta) rolls around in August, but I can at least begin the design and source all the bits and pieces. There's always next year

TestEagle: your Kroenen turned out amazing!
I have the mask so far, and have been wanting to do a female twist on the character.
Thanks for the inspiration to actually get back to that project. I don't think I'll have it done by the time Dragon Con (in Atlanta) rolls around in August, but I can at least begin the design and source all the bits and pieces. There's always next year

Glad you like it! I'm making some improvements to it, like getting taller boots and looking at replacing blades, if you need a hand with sourcing any bits you can get me here or on my FB www.facebook.com/TestEagleOZ

Changed my boots out for Soldier Classic Jack Boots (note the taller boots), so here's my suit these days. (the Fem Hellboy or Hellgirl is my partner)
10534657_10203188118716581_9059499340399105729_n.jpg

Did you buy any of this online and if so can you provide any links?

Feel free to pm me and I'll pass on the links, rather not post here as some links become outdated.

Edit: PM'ed you with details of many of the items used.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back