New discoveries: pix of Blade Runner Blaster PRE-production condition

OK we will need to make sure that you holding it in the correct pose with the correct back lite behind you at all times you want them lit.

I think it will only take a hour or so to train you and your lighting guy.

Of course it will up to you to pay for the lighting guy and his light.

The real problem is and perhaps was, you can only light up the lower part as the upper part contains the hammer spring and rod.

During the life of this prop we can see changes as they worked out what they (perhaps more by Ridley) wanted. The glowing grips like the green LEDs in the side rod seem to have been failures, things they did and then cut out.

The first is the stunt version, these clearly were made from a early version of the Gun but clearly made off the real prop as all have the correct serial numbers and markings.

My research has show the butt plate, and the ammo housing with the side holes changed, and the ammo clip used for the molding had NO LEDs and NO switch.

I also think they may have redone the drips and grip frame as the stunts had what seemed to be a shorter grip set.

The next was the new grips and butt plate, and the lighted ammo clip and a different housing.

I think the next change was the removing of the paint on the sides of the butt plate and with that being a rush job they sanded paint off the grip frame as they did the butt plate.

Last was what be came called the Worldcon with its non-film Weaver Knob, and rust and dirt.

As for the serial number on the ammo housing, it is not visible any where within the film.

I was trying to make a joke about how I used to do a updated model with each super discovery.

Sorry I really feel I now have done all that can be done and there is no discovery that needs a new model.

Rich

Aw, c'mon Rich! It's the concept "as-built-by" blaster. Folks have even built replicas of that Syd Meade sketch that was never even used. :lol

sydgun.jpeg

I totally agree...At the same time I lean towards film accurate.

As long as you know what is film accurate then you knowingly choose to make changes and do things your way, which is one reason I started selling kits.

Problem is what is one person's idea of what they think it should be or what they like VS. real.

Not everyone wants clear or ruby red grips.

I for one have had a hard time NOT "FIXING" what I see that is wrong with most props. IE No trigger guards on most ray gun even when said ray gun have so much fire power and can even desolve matter...

And lighted weapons that will give you enemy something to aim at..I would think in the future night vision glasses would be a thin as sunglasses and as easy to wear... so a lighted weapon would not be needed.

And controls on said weapon that take two hands to operate...a GOOD side arm should be able to be operated with only one hand.

BUT I have found in the past that 95% of customers do not want YOUR idea of what a beloved prop should be, they want what they saw on the screen.

Me 2 cents worth.

Rich

Rich...I would actually embrace that idea myself!! I would love to see or hear about the function changes you would make to the PKD...I always thought the lights were cool but should light up when you pull it out of the holster and turn off when it went back in. But yes, I would love to see what you'd do...

"Give it to Holden, he's good!?!"

I have had few ideas to "improve" this prop, it is wrong on so many levels:

A cocking lever that goes no where and does nothing...

In a rifle receiver that again does nothing.

A hidden revolver with a ammo housing and clip that is cut off by a barrel...

A rod on the side with green LEDs...laser pointer??

A knob on the other side cover that has no purpose...

5 RED LEDs in the same ammo clip. (See commits about lighted weapons and making yourself a target)

Sill love it but...real???

OK Classic Phaser: Trigger guard, better handle (Fatter to fit the hand and trigger set so it falls under your finger) and no setting knob on pistol body: you already have the settings controls in the Phaser One.

Star Trek all phasers no trigger guards, ST3 unknown controls...

Battlestar smaller, less thingies all over it. (clean it up a little...)

Lost in Space Laser: silly thing has a left over blade sight behind the muzzle ring and silly sights on top only two ribs apart...that did not fit into any holster...and would be broken off too easy.

Later LIS Laser no sights and no trigger guard...

Star Wars no problems...used real guns with some extra details..and started a trean to use real guns as base..

My 2 cents worth.

Rich

I hear you on all accounts! I always wished the Steyr would load a grenade like round into the barrel and fire that when you ****** it back and fired but the physics don't really add up!? Also the sight rod is useless unless the green lights are...well...a laser sight or something?! And last the knobs on the side cover that do nothing... I always thought they were to adjust how far the plate sits off the cylinder for venting...and how level it is as a kid?! My 2¢

Venting is a fair idea.

Did you see how we did try to make sense of it all??

RacProps Issue 4 - Blade Runner Blaster

Rich

I hear you on all accounts! I always wished the Steyr would load a grenade like round into the barrel and fire that when you ****** it back and fired but the physics don't really add up!? Also the sight rod is useless unless the green lights are...well...a laser sight or something?! And last the knobs on the side cover that do nothing... I always thought they were to adjust how far the plate sits off the cylinder for venting...and how level it is as a kid?! My 2¢

Nice!!! I've studied your page often Rich...Amazing work...I was addicted to it for a while and had to step away for a week...great stuff!

...did you mention the second "front trigger" that you need a tiny finger to operate and ...does nothing on the PKD. : )
maybe the bolt handle is a pump that you charge the blaster with power...like a supersoaker - or air soft? :lol
For the phasers, all cowboy hip shooting! No sights on either the P1 or P2. I know the hood is "supposed" to be a sight but your thumb blocks it when you try to press the trigger which you can't really do with your arm extended. And to see thu the "window" you need to be pointing the phaser up at an angle! Hey, wait a minute. Just like my avatar of Solo!
there is a connection!
For a weapon that can vaporize anything, you would think a little more precise aiming would be helpful. ; )

Seems SciFi props are sometimes not very practical.

Star Wars has sights... but on the right (meaning- wrong) side. They should be , as we all know, on the top center. Maybe Ep7 will get it right...or wrong. : )
but we love it...

I did forget the second front trigger...

And all the rest are so on.

For the Phaser's aiming I long thought the emitter would have a very low setting, a laser pointer setting, that way to aim you used the target setting like a light pull on the trigger like a camera (mine focuses on the light pressure...) and then press harder to fire...and your dead on as using the weapon's own emitter it would be like using a bore laser sight to aim with...

Rich

...did you mention the second "front trigger" that you need a tiny finger to operate and ...does nothing on the PKD. : )
maybe the bolt handle is a pump that you charge the blaster with power...like a supersoaker - or air soft? :lol
For the phasers, all cowboy hip shooting! No sights on either the P1 or P2. I know the hood is "supposed" to be a sight but your thumb blocks it when you try to press the trigger which you can't really do with your arm extended. And to see thu the "window" you need to be pointing the phaser up at an angle! Hey, wait a minute. Just like my avatar of Solo!
there is a connection!
For a weapon that can vaporize anything, you would think a little more precise aiming would be helpful. ; )

Seems SciFi props are sometimes not very practical.

Star Wars has sights... but on the right (meaning- wrong) side. They should be , as we all know, on the top center. Maybe Ep7 will get it right...or wrong. : )
but we love it...

Well in the target match Steyr Rifle it was a set trigger, you pulled it to set up the rear trigger as a Hair Trigger.

Which really make no sense in a pistol.

Rich

Rich

For the phasers, all cowboy hip shooting! No sights on either the P1 or P2. I know the hood is "supposed" to be a sight but your thumb blocks it when you try to press the trigger which you can't really do with your arm extended. And to see thu the "window" you need to be pointing the phaser up at an angle!

Since we've seemed to have wandered way off topic anyway, I'll tackle that one. :lol

Actually the trigger to fire the hand phaser is a button on the bottom that you press with your index finger. You're supposed to grip the p1 at the sides on the side rail. They get this right in the first few episodes but eventually the actors gave up on that since it is a really awkward position to hold it in.

AEherophaserbottom.jpg

372_CI-42295323230059591-Copy.jpg

OK...OK..to get back on topic...I have watched the "Work print" version and totally missed the reloading scene!?! I guess I've got some viewing to do. I kinda like the no switches version of the clip myself...I also like the 5223 serial number on the ammo housing...it kinda matches the police spinner look to me?!

The reloading scene isn't in the work print, or in that assemblage cut that's an extra on the Final Cut edition. I've never seen it either, I don't think anybody has (I'm not even sure it was filmed!)

K

Ohhhh...I thought someone had mentioned that it was in the work print version!??? Man, I wish...if it was filmed...it would've been added to the final cut?! I have been thinking that maybe the different clips maybe had different types of rounds and controls all specific to that ammo housing...but who knows!?

So far no one has found it.

All we have to the many clips that were made, perhaps as I believe for a reloading scene.

( I had heard of the reloading scene years before....)

Rich

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back