Tomb Raider Ice Axe v2 "The definitive edition"

CynderBloc

Some of you may remember my 10 hour dash to build one of these in time for the game release last year http://www.therpf.com/f9/tomb-raider-ice-axe-finished-177968/

It was hastily assembled. I changed certain aspects of it to cut a few corners time-wise, some of the layers between the MDF and styrene show through the paint and just in general it was kinda shoddy. I was happy with it at the time as I hadn't set myself any quality standards for it, just that I had to finish it before the midnight release.

Now however, it's been on my wall for almost a year. Every time I look at it I know I should have given myself more time. So I started again, with the same construction methods, but with a longer time frame and far better references. In fact, the in-game version is an amalgamation of the concept art version and how the DMM reference axe looks.

Let's see how it goes, if nothing else, there will be more photos which will show how I constructed the original for anyone who was interested.

acdd0ee0-c20a-434c-a73c-b3d020bd3388_zps63c22edf.jpg

*subbed!

That's going to look nice! I never got around to making mine. Any plans on what you're going to do with the original when you finish this one?:p

This looks amazing so far!

My dad and I have been researching how we can go about making one of these for me to cosplay Lara in October, and have found your first one as an incredible reference. What pics did you use for the handle reference above? I'm finding it very difficult to get a printed outline in the full size. Just what is the measurement of the piece in the picture above?

I would also be very keen to be completely lazy and buy a cast one off you if you finish it before October! :p

Yeah, I probably should have put this out there. Work on this will be pretty slow, I mentioned in another thread that I've gone back to Uni so that's sapping quite a bit of time, plus I have a couple of commissions I'm working on too.

This is just a "do a few minutes here and there build", really just to satisfy my need to replace the original one

That's fair enough, and exactly why I asked. I will just be happy with any progress pictures between now and when I go to help with my own! We had a hell of a time working out where to start and the pic on here was the light in the dark that helped us out.

Both my dad and I have to say though, your paint job on the last one was nothing short of incredible. Especially in the time frame. Well done.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back