Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of

T H A N K Y O U G U U U U U U U U Y S ! ! ! ! !! ! ! !

20 days to go and we reached our goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:eek:eek
We can't even believe this is happening, hahaaaaaaaa!!!
We are thinking about some cool stretch goals that will give even more awesomeness to the film (how about some REAL hand painted matte paintings???)

But really, thank you for supporting, and even more for following our project for the past three years!!!
We're gonna get there!!

Love,
Luka & Dino :love:cheers

http://i.imgur.com/7pxxeDR.jpg
Maybe you can use some of that Kickstarter money to buy a shirt... ;)

Well, I'm in Texas, where it has been 108 consistently over the last month, so I feel your pain. Nothing a cold beer won't fix!

WOOOOOOW!

Thanks a lot for the link Jedifyfe! This is so amazing... They really seem to like our work!! I'm a huge fan of theirs. It would be so awesome if they really cover our story one day.
Let's just hope the "legal issues" won't come true though, hahahaah.

This really made our day! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
WOOOOOOW!

Thanks a lot for the link @Jedifyfe! This is so amazing... They really seem to like our work!! I'm a huge fan of theirs. It would be so awesome if they really cover our story one day.
Let's just hope the "legal issues" won't come true though, hahahaah.

This really made our day! :D

Your're welcome! I'm certain Norm or Adam will reach out to you, since he is a huge fan and your work is astounding!

I think the "legal issues" Adam was referring to is just the stupid Cease and Desist letters that studios will put out to profiting fans. I think you're not in any real danger.

@LukaFlim, have you considered including your Los Angeles field trip as an appendix to the "Making of" book or as an extra feature to the Blu-Ray?

JamesM242, well yeah, it probably will be an extra feature on the dvd/bluray. I totally want to pack it with tons of featurettes and videos. There's nothing better than bonus features, right? :lol
Didn't think about adding the trip it to the book, but we'll see... it's not a bad idea. The book will tell us what it wants anyway ;)

HEEEY GUYS!

YEAH, our campaign is finally over, and what a campaign it was!!!

Before launching we had soooooo many discussions about the 25K goal. It it too much? Is it possible? We were even prepared to throw in some cash of our own if we got stuck close to the goal. You gotta prepare for the worst, right?

But obviously we didn't have to worry, and the success of the campaign caught us totally off guard. Turns out people really love miniatures, right? :lol

So once again I want to thank you, dear friends, for supporting us through all these years as well as in the campaign. I'm also superhyped that some of you will be joining us on the screening here in Zagreb, Croatia! It's going to be awesome!!!

We cleared our schedule from commercials till the end of the year, so now it's only filmmaking time!
Don't worry, I'll post everything here!

Let's get this baby finished!!!
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ykBHiYs.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks JamesM242, I did see it before but it's always good to visit the BR model shop again... ;)

OK guys, today I have a special treat!
Yesterday my friend Stipan (the painter guy) came over to the studio and we did a quick MATTE PAINTING test - and it was the most AWESOME thing ever!!!!!!
The purpose of the test was to have a crack at the technique, and to figure out how does one light and film the painting.

First Stipan did some sketches to get the idea of the shot and the design of the buildings:

m1.jpg

We didn't use actual glass to paint on, we used plexiglass instead. This one was just a test so we used 45x20cm piece of plexiglass, but the proper ones he will paint for the film will be around 2 meters wide so the glass would be really heavy and fragile. So plexi is much more practical for this.

I sprayed it first with black primer to block the light spill when it will be backlit, and Stipan then painted a basic layer of grey.

m2.jpg

Then he proceeded to paint the sky and the buildings. Here's a step by step progress of the painting:

m3.jpg

m4.jpg

m5.jpg

When the painting was done, he used an exacto knife to scratch the paint away where the windows and lights should be, making the ones closer to camera bigger, and the ones in the background smaller.

m6.jpg

And here's how the finished thing looks. We back lit it with a single neon light to get all those cool tiny windows, and some of the lights we just painted red, to simulate signal lights.

m7.jpg

After I filmed it I composited some searchlights over the painting, as well as a couple of flying cars in the background. Here's the final video:

I'm reeeeeally happy with how it turned out. As I said, the real ones will be much bigger and with much more details so they will look really cool.
This is truly a wonderful blend of the painting medium and film, and we really enjoyed the process. It's really magical, we can't wait to start the work on the big ones!

Hope you like it! ;)

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    856.8 KB · Views: 111
  • m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    856.8 KB · Views: 105
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    696.1 KB · Views: 106
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    696.1 KB · Views: 104
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    704.4 KB · Views: 102
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    704.4 KB · Views: 103
  • m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    754.7 KB · Views: 100
  • m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    754.7 KB · Views: 105
  • m5.jpg
    m5.jpg
    847 KB · Views: 104
  • m5.jpg
    m5.jpg
    847 KB · Views: 101
  • m6.jpg
    m6.jpg
    735.5 KB · Views: 100
  • m6.jpg
    m6.jpg
    735.5 KB · Views: 107
  • m7.jpg
    m7.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
  • m7.jpg
    m7.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
THAT. IS. AWESOME.

I know you guys have a motion controlled slider. Have you thought about introducing a slight camera move to get some parallax motion between foreground and background?

This is looking SO cool.

SB

Thanks @Dem Bones, I stumbled upon that site before, but I'll check it out more thoroughly. Thanks for the link.
StevenBills For now we only have our homemade crappy slider, but we'll get a better one soon. And, yeah, we'll definitely add a camera move to the painting, probably even put some miniature antennas or towers in the foreground to get that parallax! This is so excitiiiing, haha!!! :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back