Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of

One word…

Awesome!

Great update, superb location find and filming. Agree with Thorst, more production updates and hope they never end. Though I look forward to the day I can see your film.

Loving this so much.

Keep up the fantastic work.

Hey there!!

Just a small update!
I wanted to make a couple of "foreground" buildings that will be more detailed and with better lighting.. The first one is done, so here are some photos!

As always, the base is a wooden box, and on top of that I arranged computer parts, kit parts, bits and pieces...

1_zpslc9gzuqa.jpg~original.jpg

I lit it with single strip of Christmas lights. I think these ones are SMD LEDs because they are small, but they are really, really bright..

2_zpsjh6wqmgh.jpg~original.jpg

Best part of any build - primer! I didn't bother to mask LEDs before spraying, I just scratch the surface of each LED afterwards.

3_zpsw98uylpb.jpg~original.jpg

Then I gave it a coat of light gray. Since all LEDs are white I just hand painted some of them red and yellow.. Just to give it some diversity...

4_zpsyd8epkna.jpg~original.jpg

And as always, here's a proper beauty shot, with smoke and everything...
I hacked up an old plastic crate and glued it to the sides of the building to give it some texture.

hero%20mala.jpg

That's all for today. There should be more model making soon!
See ya! ;)

Last edited:
Another wonderful design. It looks like it has a purpose and function. Like MikeJ said, it does look like it belongs in BR.

Hey guys!
Tomorrow I'm going on a personal trip to Derby, England, so I wanted to post a new update before I leave!

This cute little thing arrived in mail today!!
It's a 1/43 scale diecast model of Citroen BX - the same car we used for filming last summer.

1_zpsluuirr80.jpg~original.jpg

It should be a pretty close scale with the sushi bar building, and the idea was to modify it to look like our red future car, and film it with the miniature.
So I gave it a light sanding, and glued stuff on it until it started to resemble the bigger car model.

2_zps9m8jeoan.jpg~original.jpg

I painted the body red, the tanks silver, and glued on the bumpers.

3_zpsd4c8yxmq.jpg~original.jpg

And from the front:

4_zpsazluv6tl.jpg~original.jpg

It's going to work really good for a couple of shots I think. It's not finished yet, some details are still missing, and I want to install a couple of leds inside, but I ran out of time today.
As I said, I'm flying to Derby tomorrow, so If anyone's close by - send me a message, and we'll go for a :cheers:cheers.

Thanks for looking, and see you soon!

Last edited:
Guys - to call this inspirational is the understatement of the Century. Awesome work - simply awe inspiring.

Please keep us posted - I think I'm more excited about this than the Villenueve movie! :)

YO YO guys!!!
I'm back from my trip, and before crazy-round-the-clock-full-time-holiday-commercial-making-marathon that started this week, I managed to squeeze a couple of hours of model building. So today I have a big update for you!
But, before we continue I want to thank you for you comments!
And, Czar, more excited about this than Blade runner 2?? Wow, I hope we'll live up to expectation! :lol

OK, let's start!

I finished detailing the Mini-Citroen and installing 5 LED's inside. Four for the lights, and one for cockpit.

1_zps2lnsl2jt.jpg~original.jpg

It's wired through the bottom, and since I need it for the shots where it is already landed, hiding the wires shouldn't be a problem. Here's a test shot of the lights:

2_zpsgqee7y9t.jpg~original.jpg

Ok, the next thing we slowly did over the last couple of months is installing LEDs in the big car as well. The difference here is that there's much more of them, and most are connected to Arduino controller which means we can program them blinking in any way we want. The only problem is that we don't know how to program it! :lol
It's easy to do basic stuff, but here we need 3-4 individual groups of LEDs, each doing different things. Roof blinking at different intervals than the cockpit, and underside blinking in some kind of a landing pattern... And that's higher level of programming so basically we're stuck!
If anyone worked with Arduino and knows how to program that, help would be much appreciated. :D

3_zpsm03tqqbz.jpg~original.jpg

4_z.jpg

Here's a photo with everything on:

4_zpsdh4c3l0v.jpg~original.jpg

Here are the underside landing lights that should blink sequentially.

5_zpsqb4qqcby.jpg~original.jpg

I also made another building. Similar style as the last one, just a different design.

6_zpsehyz0lxu.jpg~original.jpg

And again I just lit it with Christmas lights.

7_zpsb8bhrrhx.jpg~original.jpg

And later in the night when the work is done, we turn on the buildings and models, and sit back and enjoy the view and a beer... After 10 minutes we just can't resist and we start playing, pumping some smoke in, and setting up test shots!

8_zpsllduqwla.jpg~original.jpg

We quickly threw the scene together and suspended the Mini-Citroen with fishing string over the city. I just deleted the wires in Photoshop.

9_zpsdbuijy3d.jpg~original.jpg

And a behind the scenes shot for the end of this post:

10_zpsr1fqditb.jpg~original.jpg

Here's one interesting thing about cameras.. Mostly I'm doing these tests with my Canon 550D, and since they are just tests I'm happy with them, bu no matter what I do I can't get that proper movie feel on the photos. It looks too plastic. But, when we film it with Black Magic camera somehow that movie feel is there.. Probably because of dynamic range or something - I don't know really, but it just works! It's interesting...

So now for a month or two we'll have tons of work so I don't know how much time I'll have for the film.. But we'll see.

Thanks for looking!!!

Last edited:
Hey Luka, I have some experience with Arduino, happy to help out if you can let me know which board you have, how many different lighting circuits you need, and so on. In fact, I'd be thrilled to be involved in a project like this in some small way!

Looking good...wish this was a 2 hour feature to play in theaters. I'd sure go see it.
Also, since easter eggs are so fun, you should throw in a flying delorean somewhere in the background.

Updates, yeah!!!!!

Love the new building, very cool. Kinda like one near me. Looking beautiful, even if only using the Canon. I know the BM are a superb camera. Resolution, dynamic range, sensor size all do make a difference. The DOF makes a major difference between consumer and professional, but look who I'm telling. Teaching grandmother to suck eggs.

Amazing also what a coat of primer can do

Last edited:
Really amazed by the speed you put those sceneries together, and it looks always nice – just awesome. The whole thread is very entertaining, thanks Luka!

That's looking amazing! I feel the fun you have in each update! Awesome work!

A small idea for the buildings: Have you considered to give them areas with different grades of glossyness? I mean, some areas or panels being more flat, some being more glossy, kind of what you would do with a specular map in CGI? Without wanting to critisize your work (I know I could never do this!), I feel that it could improve the result even more.

Thanks for letting us look at your work!

Thorsten

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back