Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of

Yo guys!

Again, thank you all for your comments!

Ok, so we found an old 80's car for sale on internet, and we asked a guy if he would rent it to us for a week of shooting! He said of course - but the car has no battery, no brakes and no registration :lol. He lives 10km away from my home/studio so it could be a problem, but he said he could fix it a little and he could make the trip... Well I hope so... We went to see the car and it is totally what we want. Here are the photos:

The car is Citroen BX 1987.

6_zpsa823c482.jpg~original.jpg

Of course, exterior is not important for us since we will use that red model car I built for exteriors. This one we will use only for interior, and boy is it goooood:

7_zps08d35e86.jpg~original.jpg

It is so much 80's SciFi, I love it.. just look at that consoles.. They don't make them like this anymore, haha :darnkids

8_zps05d0d7cc.jpg~original.jpg

So to answer your question Mike, we will put all those monitors from the previous post on the passenger's seat, turn them on and we will have ourselves an 80's flying car. Since the driver won't be able to reach the glovebox anymore (and it is important story-wise that he does) I built a new one.

So hopefully this week the car will arrive to my home/studio and we'll start filming this film. :wacko

In other news we realized that the main actor needs a gun (which he keeps in a glovebox :rolleyes), and because it can't be just any gun I went and made something similar to Leon's derringer.

First I cut up a toy:

1_zps34314986.jpg~original.jpg

Then I started altering it:

2_zps0564bc15.jpg~original.jpg

Still a bit crude, but it's getting there:

3_zpsa3bd1eda.jpg~original.jpg

Muuuuch better:

4_zps835b017b.jpg~original.jpg

Aaand a bit of black primer:

5_zps9479bd28.jpg~original.jpg

Still some details to refine, but not bad for now.. As always I'm relying on the darkness of the film to make my handicraft look good.

Stay tuned!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Citroën made (and still makes)great cars...love the dashboard for sure (very BR). Your gun is fantastic too:cool

Oh gosh I'm gonna wet myself your work is bang on the mark for Blade Runner..... hell it may even be better.......that VK/Esper-esque machine is toppest of tops

Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic. As a former art director I can only say that you created such a wonderful example of how classic model work sometimes is more effective than digital set extensions.

Thank you VERY much everybody!!!
Thorst, slime time13, Mike J., VilleLeskinen, joberg, sofaking, Haystack Hair and EVERYBODY else that follow my thread.. thanks for your support! It really means a lot!
Tommorow the car should come to my home/studio! As it happens the car won't start so we'll have to pay for towing. :behave
Anyway I'll keep you posted! Here is some late night blues for you.. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tmgXG0bXXU

That car is a great score, even if it doesn't run. The interior and the steering wheel alone are worth every penny. You gonna shoot the exterior of the real car at all?

This is one of the best threads on the RPF: it makes me wish I was there!

-MJ

I´d like to suggest something fr the slice test 3. If you film the backgground as a separate plate, you can easily remove the wires. I am sure you know that, but I just saw the test and my head would´ve ´sploded if I hadn´t typed this right after watching that clip. :p Everything in one shot of course reduces work time, but rotoscoping the wires out may be bit more time consuming than compositing. But in the end, the result is what counts, and boy would I love to hop into my car and make a quick trip to Croatia to assist you ;)

Yo everybody!

Big news - THE CAR IS IN THA HOUSE! :cool (literally, since I live in the same house where we film everything)

Here's how it went: The car wouldn't start, and we had to pay the towing service to transport it across the town to my place.

2_zps26f34a1e.jpg~original.jpg

Of course that means we spent more money which sucks. The towing guys asked about the project and when they came to the studio and saw the buildings they went out of their minds, haha. And then we all had to drink beers!

Ok, so this is the car in front of my house.

3_zpsd5475820.jpg~original.jpg

We vacuumed it a little because it stinks and pushed it inside. Here's a panoramic photo of my "studio". On the left is the part where the car will be filmed, and on the right is my greenscreen where we film the miniatures.

1_zpsca1fd745.jpg~original.jpg

So the GREAT news is that the owner of the car decided that after we finish the filming the car goes to the junkyard, so basically we can do whatever we want. We will even spray paint parts of the body red, so when we film it from outside the color matches the miniature..
First we pulled out the front passenger seat:

4_zps77d0bc8b.jpg~original.jpg

Istarted to fit the monitors in, but didn't do much today..

5_zps63f02f12.jpg~original.jpg

I'll do more tomorrow.. It's hard to make it all work since I built all the consoles without the car. Now when we test fitted it it turned out we need a couple more consoles to fill some gaps.. Anyway - IT'S HAPPENING!

Oh CutThumb, if Ridley ever makes that sequel to Bladerunner he will probably do it all in CGI! :lol

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back