Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    Jul 9, 2014, 7:32 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #176

This is SO much fun!
    From
    Brighton, UK
    Jul 10, 2014, 5:16 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #177

holy crap
    From
    Croatia
    Jul 11, 2014, 5:41 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #178

Hey everybody!

The car is 99% finished! All that is left to do is a bit of set dressing - random stuff around the car like parking tickets, coins and stuff..
    Today I'm going on a short trip so this is the last update before filming begins - ON MONDAY! We made it to this point! We plan to film all car interiors in one week.

Ok, what did we do in the last two days? I finished designing all paper props we will need and we went to the printing office. First - scifi money :

You never know when you gonna need some money! We printed some other paper props that are important for the story. This here are cigarette packs. The film is called Slice of life too.

It would be a shame not to put some more familiar props in the film too.. Here's one you might know:

Here's a photo of finished cigarette pack, they will be quite prominent throughout the movie.

As I said, the car is finished, I just screwed all the components together so it wouldn't fall apart during filming. And we finally turned all the monitors on:

Some footage on the monitors should also be familiar to you guys. I didn't have original files, so I recreated everything in After Effects as close as I could to the references.
    Here's another photo with better lighting:

That's it!
    As I said, on Monday we start filming! I will update you as much as I can during the process.

I'm excited!!!
    BYEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by LukaFilm; Sep 10, 2017 at 1:16 PM.
  4. Io, Saturnalia! RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area
    Jul 11, 2014, 6:54 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #179

Oh baby, oh baby!

I love future money

Monitors in the car look great, as do the replica graphics.

-MJ
  5. Formerly KCGhostbuster RPF Premium Member Snow Builder's Avatar
    From
    Olathe, KS
    Jul 11, 2014, 7:24 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #180

Congrats on getting to this point, everything looks fantastic!
    From
    In my head
    Jul 11, 2014, 10:52 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #181

holy crap you work like a monster! your thoroughness is to be admired sir! Well done!
  7. RPF Premium Member brandomack's Avatar
    From
    Vancouver, BC
    Jul 11, 2014, 10:02 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #182

This is very impressive. You're doing one hell of a job there, keep it up!

Subscribed.
  8. Io, Saturnalia! RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area
    Jul 11, 2014, 10:21 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #183

I think you mean, "You've done a man's job."
    From
    Brighton, UK
    Jul 12, 2014, 5:38 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #184

You're insane!!!!!
    Jul 12, 2014, 7:15 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #185

Well, it doesn't look amateurish at all (production wise) Screens are the top, and attention to details (mag covers/cig packs) are a must and you're doing very well on all fronts
    Eager to see the rest for sure!!
    From
    Irvine California
    Jul 13, 2014, 3:54 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #186

Will you be altering the steering wheel? Maybe cut it in half?
  12. Key Master RPF Premium Member Nexus6's Avatar
    From
    Off-world colonies (or as I like to call it: Florida)
    Jul 13, 2014, 12:08 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #187

Cameron said: View Post
    Will you be altering the steering wheel? Maybe cut it in half?
    ^THAT^ would definitely lend to the illusion that this is a vehicle that is also an "aircraft".
  13. RPF Premium Member Stormy320's Avatar
    From
    Pasadena, CA
    Jul 13, 2014, 7:15 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #188

It's just great how all the crap comes together into something EPIC!

Keep up the awesome!
  14. RPF Premium Member LukaFilm's Avatar
    From
    Croatia
    Jul 14, 2014, 4:50 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #189

YO GUYS!!!
    Thanks again for your compliments!!!

So Monday came and filming officially begun - even though we didn't actually film anything! Today we brought all equipment we could get to the studio and set it up. It took A LOT of time to set the lighting until we got what we wanted...

Oh Cameron, I like your idea about the steering wheel, but we probably won't do it.. Mostly because of practical reasons.. For example, there is one part in the script where the driver has to do a wild turn, and having only half of the wheel would make it really difficult.. Also, in our tests he rested his hands on the top of the wheel while driving, and it turned out beautifully framed in the cinemascope format, so we're hanging on to that. Thanks for your suggestion though!!

Anyway here's a couple of photos. First, two panoramas of our studio:

Back view and front view. You can see we did not spray the back of the car since we will never film from that side. There is a lot of things happening in the shots: monitors work, we move the lights, buildings..
    Here is a simple rig to make a flickering light:

It's a slow "ventilator" made from and old servo motor, and some cardboard.. But it really makes the shot come alive...
    At first I thought I will have to film it all against greenscreen, and I'll add the city in post, but today we tried to put miniature buildings behind the car and when it's out of focus it works great! That is also great because it means less work for me, and it's IN CAMERA which is always better.
    We also put the buildings on the dolly and slowly pulled them with string, which makes the illusion that the car moves forward.

That is actually all I have for today!
    In the next days I'll post some frames that we will film, so you'll finally see the cast and crew.

Oh, here is one more panorama of the inside of the car. That one is in bigger resolution so you can enjoy all those details!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3973.JPG 
Views:	291 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	349166

Over and out.
    Last edited by LukaFilm; Sep 10, 2017 at 1:17 PM.
  15. Io, Saturnalia! RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area
    Jul 14, 2014, 9:27 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #190

That interior shot of the car looks great. I'm very interested to see how your flickering light rig works out.

-MJ
  16. Member Since
    Sep 2012
    From
    Santa Clara, Ca
    Jul 14, 2014, 9:45 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #191

Amazing!!
    Jul 15, 2014, 9:35 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #192

In camera special effects (my favorite way of doing SFX!!) Great shots and simple tricks always work. I'm giddy with anticipation
  18. Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Jul 15, 2014, 9:38 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #193

Seriously cool - I'm learning a lot just watching your progress!
  19. Member Since
    May 2013
    From
    Germany
    Jul 15, 2014, 2:03 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #194

It looks beautiful. The only thing I'm wondering: Will you block the reflection of the studio in the windscreen when filming the final shots? That is the only thing left in my eyes to make it 100% believeable.

Really, i'm loving this thread.

Thorsten
  20. Io, Saturnalia! RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area
    Jul 15, 2014, 7:44 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #195

So, how was the first real day of shooting?
  21. RPF Premium Member LukaFilm's Avatar
    From
    Croatia
    Jul 16, 2014, 3:31 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #196

YO!

How was the first real day of shooting? Well, slow...
    We calculated we should do an average of 10 shots a day, and we will finish in about 6 days. Yesterday we filmed for 14 hours and did 9 shots.. I figure we will become more efficient in the next days - you get the hang of this and you solve problems faster.

OK, so here are a couple of frames we did. Introducing our leading man - Anton.

As it normally is in indie productions, he is also our screenwriter, model builder, set designer and cooks coffee sometimes.

His character is a petty dealer who sucks at his job, and is trying to quit smoking. A problem spoils his daily routine and things complicate.

Here's a pack-shot of Slice cigarettes on the dashboard..

Oh, Thorst, don't worry about reflections. When you do a setup for 2-3 hours you worry about that stuff.

Sorry, I don't have that much time to take pictures since we have a million things to do, but as soon as I catch a moment I will post something for you guys!
    We are off to the studio! Bye!!!
    Last edited by LukaFilm; Sep 10, 2017 at 1:38 PM.
  22. Io, Saturnalia! RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area
    Jul 16, 2014, 6:56 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #197

Love the shot of the cigarettes on the dashboard – reminds me of the opening shots of the consoles on the Nostromo in Alien.

-MJ
    From
    Buenos Aires
    Jul 16, 2014, 7:56 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #198

This is looking amazing!
  24. Member Since
    May 2013
    From
    Germany
    Jul 16, 2014, 9:53 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #199

Yes, amazing.
  25. Member Since
    Sep 2012
    From
    Santa Clara, Ca
    Jul 16, 2014, 11:29 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #200

This is gonna be so sweet!
    I've loved watching this build come to life!