Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of

Excellent update...the interior of the car looks good and that tape trick for the seat is something I'm going to use in the future:) As for the 12 inch puppets, look for the Barbie type, you'll have to cut their hair, but apart from that it'll do the trick;)

Hey guys! Thanks for your kind words!

Okay, I'm so happy right now! Today I got my camera back and of course immediately I had to do a proper car test !!! With CHRISTMAS LIGHTS! :lol

And Here it is:
(click for larger picture)
CAR test2.jpgCAR test.jpg

This is the first time I have seen my car like this and I am totally blown off right now! Until now I have only seen it like this in my head. :D This gives me hope... As expected, Twigman is not really seen which is great since he totally sucks, haha.

So, as I said it is illuminated from inside with Christmas lights, and I changed their color from yellow to blue/red/white in photoshop. Everything was warm yellow originally.
My friend will help me connect proper LEDs inside the car some time soon, and we will use correctly colored LEDs to get this look, of course.

Here is a small breakdown so you can see how I shot this picture. I did it in passes, similarly to tests we did before:

CARbreakdown_zpsa79ebfba.jpg~original.jpg

Only other thing I managed to do today was to weather the underside of the car:

11_zpsc3f3c34c.jpg~original.jpg

What can I say - acid rains! ;)

OK! That's it for today! See you soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOjKtL1oYF8

Last edited:
Love this build! You have the skills to work in the industry I'm sure, in that you work quickly with available materials, paint your objects in relation to how they appear - IE not spending 4 months painting a dashboard on a car, and have that magician's touch in how it all comes together. The build looks authentic too. I bet you would fool people into thinking they were real props from the film. Oh, and Tom Waits. Good.

You're doing the underside of the car (we might not see it): that's a true Artist! Great pics and update, wish it was longer:cool

Oh, plenty of time will pass until you will see this finished! :lol

Thanks everybody for your kind comments!

There is some progress! First here is not so glamorous photo of three antenna/towers we made from junk and computer parts. One man's garbage is another man's treasure, eh?

1_zps54c745cb.jpg~original.jpg

I'm finding building these towers very enjoyable, they are pretty abstract so you can improvise and have some fun with them!

Not much was build apart from that, but a day ago we managed to do another miniatures test. This time we filmed a close up side pass over the buildings.
We bought a new fog machine and it really works like a charm!

2_zps6d22061c.jpg~original.jpg

This time we tried to film the passes with the Blackmagic camera instead of Canon DSLR. That way we can film at soundspeed (25fps) and it goes much faster than exposing a series of photos with DSLR. It seems to be working fine, so I guess we'll be using the camera from now on. You can see the camera to the right of this picture:

3_zps7717d93f.jpg~original.jpg

The back side of the setup is not so magical, just a pile of cables:

4_zps1e099b24.jpg~original.jpg

And before the video here is another beauty shot of the setup, closer to what camera saw:

5_zps78e67e0d.jpg~original.jpg

Here is the LINK TO THE VIDEO:

[video=vimeo;98652479]https://vimeo.com/98652479[/video]

Every time we do a test we fix some of the problems and learn something. I'm really satisfied with the look of buildings, but I still don't believe that all of the cars are really in that space so I must figure that out. Well, one step at a time!

See you soon!

Attachments

• 4_zps1e099b24.jpg~original.jpg
    4_zps1e099b24.jpg~original.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
This looks so good... it could easily be part of a movie in cinema!

A comment to the cars: My impression is that the car which flies through the scene at about 10s lacks a bit of variation in perspective, a bit like the small space stations at the beginning of 2001, which makes it look slighly strange. Perhaps you could give it more realism with some rotation and small manouvers?

I'm really in love with this thread!

Thorsten

YES Thorst!!! That was exactly my thought.
This time we filmed the cars statically from different angles, but then they definitely lack variation in perspective. I imagined a simple rig that would rotate the car slowly 360 degrees, and with that footage I would get every angle I need.

I found some servos in an old printer so I'll try to make something from that.:thumbsup

Hello people!
As always thank you for your support!

The day we start filming the film is dangerously close! I hope in 10 days we are good to go. Right now we are trying to rent a car that we will film interiors in. We have a couple of 80's cars with satisfactory interiors in mind so we will see. Meanwhile I'm trying to fit together all the monitors/junk that will be on the passenger's seat. So here are a couple of photos:

Yesterday I made a glove compartment from an old printer !?!

1_zps5af12c53.jpg~original.jpg

I built the inner walls and upholstered them:

2_zps3798febe.jpg~original.jpg

Spray painted the printer:

3_zpsea73db6e.jpg~original.jpg

And screwed it all together. There is also a lid at the front but its drying somewhere..

4_zps1bb752d4.jpg~original.jpg

The idea was to build something with the same vibe as the VK or Esper machine. So here is all we have for now:

5_zps8c61cab7.jpg~original.jpg

It's just thrown on top of each other for now, and one more monitor is still missing, but you get the idea. Since none of these old TV's don't work or they don't have the inputs we can use to play our videos through them, we had to fit computer monitors inside empty TV cases. We will also use small LCD displays (for example in that upper wooden case)

6_zpsee9e8864.jpg~original.jpg

So that's about it! As I said we'll start filming soon so you can expect a lot of updates!! WOHOOO!!
See ya!

Last edited:
Found your fun project today - SO cool!
Besides the project for itselfe, the fact, that you're doing it oldstyle despite your daily job gives me hope....!
Leep it coning - looking forward to more great stuff!
Cheers,
struschie

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back