Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of

This is absolutely brilliant! I'm in love with your composite shots - they're really well done. Most definitely 8 hours very well spent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yo guys! Thanks a lot for your kind words! :)

Model making slowed down again because I have a couple of music videos to make these days.. But I'll try to squeeze in a couple of days in the workshop just to keep things moving. I felt I've had enough of the car for now and decided to make another building.

Looking at the test we did, we decided there is too sudden jump in scale. If you look at the front left building you see detailed windows and stuff, and the next one to the right immediately has 1-2mm holes that suggest windows. There should be something in between!

1_zpsa6a74108.jpg~original.jpg

So I decided to push that right building further back and make another one in larger scale in its place. Here is the base of the new building:

2_zpsb5dc0c47.jpg~original.jpg

The windows are around 1 - 1.5cm. But there was a problem with that. At that scale the windows should be square since that will come through on camera. Now, how do you cut a square hole in 3mm MDF?????? I have no idea. I don't have any tool that could cut that kind of hole precisely, and I didn't want to drill tiny holes at the corners and then cut it out and file it - it would be too boring. So I did it like this:

3_zps35f085f7.jpg~original.jpg

I drilled a larger hole, then cut the windows from thick paper, and glued it over the hole. Its a good technique because you can easily get interesting shapes and even leave shutters on the windows.. :)

4_zps24e34b1a.jpg~original.jpg

So, here's the building roughly put together. i detailed the "balcony" with random toy parts.

5_zps82a9d646.jpg~original.jpg

On the front I made the panels where the commercial would project. Of course it would be quite easy to composite the ad in post, but we would like to try something different. We will project the ad on the panels with the projector and film it again in a separate pass. It's not only that it was made like that on bladerunner (which is cool :lol), but I really believe that it will be much more realistic that way. The projection will break down across the texture, and hopefully illuminate surroundings too. For the panels I used textured MDF:

6_zps2213d46c.jpg~original.jpg

Here's a quick lighting test. Windows work great, but I had to spray a few coats of paint over them to knock down the transparency. there's still some spill but a few more coats should fix that.. It'll be ok.

7_zps0f78fe3c.jpg

That's it for now!
Thanks for looking!! :cheers

Last edited:
Well, since there's no good way to make 3mm window in MDF, you've found a good trick to do so. Love the dedication and the effort of recreating that particular scene. Keep up the good work...and next time, I want to see a fly-by with the Spinner:D

Just seeing this thread, holy crap people this is fan-friggin-tastic

Just...... Just......... WOW :eek

Beautiful work my friends, beautiful

Gag

Hi! BIG thanks to everybody for your interest and kind words! :)

SlimeTime13, not much has happened in the last week because of work. :sick I could spend only a couple of hours on the project, and didn't think it was worth posting, but since you kinda encouraged me I will. :lol

On the real Sushi bar model there are three "landing pads", and since our car will land there I needed to recreate a couple of them in car scale.
( the arrow points at them)

5_zpsd4f4c3d0.jpg~original.jpg

So, I started with 3mm MDF panel, and rounded the corners..

1_zps3ea08294.jpg~original.jpg

I tried to paint it similarly to the original, but again, due to the low resolution of original photos, I improvised.

2_zpsfda3e256.jpg~original.jpg

And here it is after some detailing, weathering, tire marks, and an oil leak. :)

3_zpscc6f2d21.jpg~original.jpg

Most of it won't be seen after the car lands anyway..

4_zpsc24252a5.jpg~original.jpg

That's about all I have.. As I said, it's not much of an update.. Tomorrow we film a music video in the studio and we'll have a high speed camera rented, so afterwards - if there's some time left - we'll make a quick car landing test.

And just so this post wouldn't be so lame I'll throw in a pic of the lighting test of that last building I made. :lol

6_zps916e1ee1.jpg~original.jpg

That's it, I'll be back soon!
Bye!

Last edited:
Building looks great – please tell me you're gonna light-up the big billboard!

Is your landing pad just for close-up shots of the car? I didn't think the car and the Sushi Stand model were in the same scale.

And any update, no matter how trivial, is worth posting :)

Yeah, of course we're gonna light it up!!!
We will try to project the ad on the billboard and refilm it. Hopefully it'll give an interesting effect.

Landing pad is only for close up shots of the car indeed. It is around 65cm long, and on the Sushi stand it will be only 6-7 cm long. So its a much larger scale. :thumbsup

Ooohh the anticipation! Lovely building...and I think the landing pads were a little bit bigger compared to the car scale in the movie. Besides that, great stuff you're building there:cool

Okay! WE FILMED THE CAR LANDING TEST!!!! :thumbsup

We were filming the music video for 12 hours straight, and we almost ran out of time for the test, but it had to be done!
You will have to excuse the overall crappiness of the test because it was all just thrown together in 30 minutes. In the final version the car will be lit, the searchlights will be detailed, there will be much more stuff going on. This was just to test the suspension mechanism on the car, and I think it worked great.

Here is a behind the scenes photo of the quick setup..

7_zpsf6e1a013.jpg~original.jpg

Joberg, I completely agree, landing pads were much "fatter" compared to mine, I made them slimmer on purpose because I thought they will look more elegant !?!, I don't know what I was thinking :facepalm. Oh never mind..

Anyways here is the test video:

[video=vimeo;91698163]https://vimeo.com/91698163[/video]

It was filmed on 200 fps, and I'm really satisfied with suspension. It gives the car some weight.
Oh, we quickly hanged it on some fishing line for the test, and it's quite obvious!
Do you guys have any idea what could be much thinner but could carry the weight of the car? Guitar string maybe?

That's it for now!
Bye!

Last edited:
Very cool!

There are different size guitar strings, I would suggest just buying a pack, and see which ones would work best.Some are more stiff, and others

are a round wound (wrapped).

Wow this is incredible! Wich I had the talent and knowledge to do something like this!

About the fishing line: Would it be possible to film it upside down? I mean, hang the car bottom-up and drill a small hole into the platform where you can feed the line through, then lead the line to a winch and hang a weight on the other side that will pull the car upwards... this way the line would at least be hidden partially by the car... just what came into my mind...

Thorsten

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back