Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of

OK GUYS - UPDATES!!
Its been a busy weekend! I made some progress with the car and more importantly we did another video test that I'm very excited to show you! :D

First the car.. I made the gull wing door mechanism. Well, stole a couple of parts from some toy actually..

1_zps80f17778.jpg~original.jpg

It can't stay open on its on for now. I'll have to figure something out for that.. The doors will be operated manually (read: pulled with a string). I have absolutely no experience with servos, but I have a lot experience with deleting wires in post so I took that approach :lol. We'll only have one or two shots of doors opening so it will be ok like that. Here's another close up:

2_zps4e30921b.jpg~original.jpg

Then I did rear lights. I used audio cassette cases. They have ribbed texture and I figured it's kind of similar to the car lights.

3_zpsb22916ca.jpg~original.jpg

And here is a quick lighting test. I'll color the lights from inside with color filters.

4_zps42563251.jpg~original.jpg

And lastly I started working on the "engine part" or "gas tank" part of the car, whatever it is. The tanks are made from used TP rolls :$, and the rest is just kitbashing. I'll put more stuff and wires when I get the chance..

5_zpsf363fdec.jpg~original.jpg

Ok, that's the car. And now the good stuff!
For this test we decided to do the panoramic shot of the city. I must point out that half of the buildings are not even nearly finished, and 3-4 buildings are not even started, so we used whatever we could. If you look closely you could probably see a vacuum cleaner and old printers around there. I must admit, there are a couple of "buildings" in there that I haven't even mentioned yet in the thread. Those are actually spaceships that will also be used in a couple of shots in the film, and I made them a few years ago when we planned another scifi film. That film transformed into this one so we decided to use what we had made until that point! I will show those ships in some of the future posts.
Oh, Mike J, I've been thinking about Millennium Falcon building for quite some time now.. Now that you mentioned it too, I really think this film wouldn't be complete without it! :lol

So here is the initial setup:

6_zpsf985d07b.jpg~original.jpg

After a couple of beauty shots we filled the room with smoke. If the smoke doesn't have an equal consistency throughout the filming of the shot, you get flickering! Back then they had some sensors that would regulate that and puff more smoke when needed. Of course, I don't even have to say that we have nothing similar, so I was a little worried. It turned out everything works just fine. I guess mostly due to the fact that we only need 15 minutes for each pass, and the smoke holds out that long.

7_zps3f8aba56.jpg~original.jpg

And here's just another view of filming the green screen pass. The buildings are in the dark and GS is lit behind them. We made that pass just to be sure that I'll have the matte if needed. I ended up using it only to hide some traffic behind the furthest buildings.

8_zpsd6d22994.jpg~original.jpg

And here is the high point of my post: video + breakdown:

https://vimeo.com/88643308

It took us 8 hours to set up the buildings, light them, and film the passes, and we got 15 seconds of film. I guess that's a good average. :)
Traffic was added in After effects - I used digital flares, but I'm planning on filming real flares and light elements and then using it for traffic. I think it will look even more real that way. I am pretty happy with the test, and I'm sure the look of it will improve a lot when we finish the buildings.
Well, that's it from me! Hope you like it!
See ya! :cheers

Last edited:
Awesome seeing it broken down like that.
8 hours - whoa. I can understand why more and more is done via CGI (begins ducking).

the breakdown is really interesting, its always nice seeing the process of how intricate scenes like these are and how they are made...definitely what the RPF is all about!

The final shot looks great! And seeing the component shots is really cool.

Can't wait to see what it looks like with all the buildings finished.

Thanks for your comments!

Chris, 8 hours may sound long, but if I did that scene in 3D it would render more like 80hrs on my computer. :lol Really, and modelling the buildings could take the same amount of time as building them in real life. I use 3D in my professional work, but personally I favor miniatures. Besides, models are so much more fun. ;)

In the last few days I only managed to work on the car..
I finished detailing of the engine/gas tank area:

1_zps25b27196.jpg~original.jpg

Here it is with a coat of primer...

2_zpsd45c0774.jpg~original.jpg

And some kind of silver paint I had lying around.

3_zps9f9e8088.jpg~original.jpg

I rusted and weathered it, and here it sits in its place:

4_zpsbe638b1a.jpg~original.jpg

I glued a few more bits here and there over the car's body and then it was painting time. Primer first:

5_zpsad4dc82b.jpg~original.jpg

Story wise, it should be a crappy cheap car that-s seen its better days. I imagine most of the stuff that is attached to its body is not factory issued, but is added over the years. So naturally I want the car to be heavily weathered and rusty. Every now and then you see cars that barely hold together and are dangerous, but people still drive them. I think it is hilarious that in the future that could still happen even though cars would fly.
I used salt method for rust:

6_zps3efc36d0.jpg~original.jpg

Here's the whole body:

7_zps2cc3f3b0.jpg~original.jpg

We debated what color should it be and we kinda went for red. I don't want it to look cool in a Ferrari way, even though it maybe turned out like that. But, I think that in the blueish low key light it will look dark red so it will be ok.

8_zps00d40fa5.jpg~original.jpg

And here it is after a few washes. Dark one for the lines and details, and a light one to wash out the red a bit.

9_zpsa76362c8.jpg~original.jpg

Salt method is so awesome because you can really see the levels in paint, red is above the rust.

11_zps29e5e079.jpg~original.jpg

10_zpse5ffc177.jpg~original.jpg

That's it for now! Hope you like it!
See ya!

Last edited:
Awesome seeing it broken down like that.
8 hours - whoa. I can understand why more and more is done via CGI (begins ducking).

Well building all of that digitally would take a while, and getting it all set up ready for prime time would take just as long if not longer to get that level of realism.... but I understand it was said in somewhat of a jest ;)

Well, my thought was (and I completely admit I only have a small bit of experience in 3-d modeling) if you include not just the 8 hours needed to shoot the scene but all of the time needed to setup and build the model then it the amount of time gets to be fairly large.
I would guess (and here is where I would need experts to set me straight) - that with a physical model you would have to follow your story boards to the 'T'. But with a computer generated model - once the scene is set a director would have more creative control over camera movements.

Amazing work, & very creative use of materials.

Being a lover of mash-ups I immediately thought of how fun it would be to fly a model of Doc Brown's Delorean through that setup...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back