Subscribe
    From
    Salem, Oregon
    Mar 18, 2018, 2:04 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #826

Love watching you work! Cool to see those 3D parts incorporated in a model
    Mar 18, 2018, 2:16 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #827

Awesome stuff (as always)...I see that you've taken the WETA route (on how they did the buildings for BR2049). Looks really Pro You could be in the business of making those buildings (and the little greeblies on top of the roof) for a bunch of us
    From
    Canada for now
    Mar 18, 2018, 2:52 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #828

joberg said: View Post
    Awesome stuff (as always)...I see that you've taken the WETA route (on how they did the buildings for BR2049). Looks really Pro You could be in the business of making those buildings (and the little greeblies on top of the roof) for a bunch of us
    Right you are. On a recent Weta tour the guide pointed out these buildings and rusty pipes from BR2049.

The small building is 3 printer cartridges and the rusty pipes are painted straws! Lol.
    From
    Croatia
    Apr 3, 2018, 9:18 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #829

Hey Guys!
    We've been filming a couple of really small new scenes and one more is in the works. More on that in the next video diary hopefully. This could actually mean we'll FINALLY be done with the live action part of the shoot. Phew..

I wanted to show you another miniature I made in the meantime.
    So apart from the city there is another location we have.. something like a waste yard or a shipyard. We just need to show it in a couple of shots, and we'll do it in miniature of course. So I figured I need to make a lot of quick and easy shipping crates.

And what else to use but my beloved electrical boxes!

They've been following me on this journey since forever. They really make for a great building material. So I just glue two of the same kind together and I have a cool sci-fi looking shipping crate.
    Then to make them more realistic I decided to draw graffiti all over them and apply a heavy weathering.

I literally drew and wrote whatever came to my mind. Some of my friends signed their names and wrote gibberish also.. It was a fun process

So then my logic was that I needed a crane! Because what else is moving these crates around?

I must say the new 3D printer helped me soooooo much with this. Almost all of the grey parts are printed. And the process is super fast as the parts are so simple that I can model them in 5 minutes, and the printer prints a batch in 10-15 mins. I need a window? no problem, in half an hour I had 8 of them printed. To make them by hand would take me much more time. And I don't even wanna start on how boring and time consuming would be to make all these girders by hand. So it was a quick and enjoyable build. Oh, and yeah, that's a big computer cooler vent the crane sits on, and it will allow me to rotate it in the shot.

Then I primed it and airbrushed lots of different colors on. Oh, the EEG logo on the side.. I needed some "Shipping company logo" to spray on everything, and I remembered Douglas Trumbulls' company was named EEG at the time they worked on Blade Runner. So I thought it could be a nice tribute and I made a stencil. The irony is I sprayed it correctly on the crane, but when I was painting the shipping crates I accidentally turned the stencil upside down - thus getting the "EEe" logo, hahahaahah.. ah well... not that it's going to be seen anyway..

And then, just as with the shipping crates, I drew some graffiti all over the crane... and payed tribute to some of my favorite films, Fox Mulder, and Lucas Arts video games...

It was cool to make something new and different, and unlike the city buildings.

Se ya soooooooon!
    Last edited by LukaFilm; 4 Weeks Ago at 2:39 PM.
    From
    Phoenixville, PA
    Apr 3, 2018, 12:15 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #830

Way cool!
  6. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    Apr 3, 2018, 1:16 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #831

Beautiful, so good so see you updating again. Been a while. Looks awesome as well. Cannot wait for the screening with you. Think of that, a live Directors community could be cool too. That way I can ask SOOOOOO many questions. nudge nudge, wink wink.
    Apr 4, 2018, 7:23 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #832

Most excellent! You're getting to be the King of rust, grimes, and overall damages on various structures/cars, etc...
    From
    Croatia
    Apr 24, 2018, 11:49 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #833

Hey guys!

There was some interest in our 3d printed pieces that I glue all over the buildings, and someone asked if we would share them with the community. And since that's a great idea I went and prepared the downloadable 3D PACK!

There's 50 different models in the pack, and hopefully they will be of use to some of you who play with 3D printers in your spare time.
    As you know 3d printer is a new toy for me so I just modeled them according to my understanding of how it would work best. Also I'm just an occasional user of 3ds max so they aren't modeled professionally. I did get some good results with most of them however, so I hope you will too if you find the use for them.

Here's the download link: http://sliceoflifefilm.com/downloads.html

In other news here's the new Production diary from the workshop:

As I mentioned in the diary and in the last post we'll have another location in the film - "The shipyard".
    It will be done completely in miniature, and I did a quick small sketch first, just to get it out of my head.

So with the atmosphere set, and with the understanding of how wide will the widest shot be I started building these cranes and other stuff.
    I showed you the main crane last time, and now here are some smaller ones:

Some kind of a water tower...

This thing made from two packs of potato chips:

And finally I turned an old printer...

...into an industrial building!

Til the next time!
    Cheers,
    Luka
    Last edited by LukaFilm; Apr 24, 2018 at 12:05 PM.
  9. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    Apr 25, 2018, 4:29 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #834

Beautiful work and great update. Very cool models again.
    From
    I live on earth.
    Apr 25, 2018, 12:51 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #835

Love the printer building. I actually took apart a printer for parts for my model I'm working on now. Had colored ink spray in my face.....not so fun.
    From
    West Oz.
    Apr 26, 2018, 10:34 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #836

The change of look from raw or painted model, to film look is incredible! Just goes to show how good lighting and a bit of smoke can completely change the way you look at something. Thanks for sharing your work again, this is some amazing inspiration.
    Apr 27, 2018, 2:17 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #837

I love this Work and the models, Blade runner is one of the best film ever made
    and your project is a dream
    From
    Croatia
    Jul 8, 2018, 11:40 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #838

Hey guys!!!
    I have a big update today!

A few days ago we filmed the last scene that we needed for the film, and with that we finally finished the live action filming of Slice of Life!!!
    After Kickstarter we upped the ante a bit and added A LOT more stuff than previously planned so it took us more time to get to this point.

Anyway, all that's left now are the miniatures! (And I know I said that two years ago - this time it's true! )

The last scene we filmed was the NIGHTCLUB scene, and like everything else we filmed it in our garage. Here's a couple of BTS progress photos:

I'm setting up the neon lights on the wall. The white canvas was used for the projection. I prepared some interesting visuals that we projected over the whole wall which is a very practical way to "dress" the ugly wall in the background.

You can see the projection in action here. We also made a small bar and filled it up with tons of interesting glasses and vases.

And here's an artistic photo of the actress and the final look of the scene.

I also made a new Production Diary No.13, with more detail about this and other scenes that we filmed so be sure to check it out!

Here's a small B-Roll clip of the "back alley scene" if someone's interested. No fancy editing and glamour here, just raw truth!!!

Ok guys, see ya soon!
    From
    I live on earth.
    Jul 8, 2018, 11:46 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #839

Looking awesome. Can't wait for all the model shots.
  15. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    Jul 8, 2018, 12:43 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #840

Wow, beautiful. Love seeing the B-Roll. Give such insights into what goes on when making a production.
  16. Adam Maitland RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area
    Jul 8, 2018, 2:29 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #841

Always great to see another update from you guys, and this one was really comprehensive; loved it!
  17. Member Since
    May 2013
    From
    Germany
    Jul 8, 2018, 4:21 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #842

Insanely good. I'm in awe!
    From
    London
    Jul 9, 2018, 12:22 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #843

This is so amazing to watch
    Jul 9, 2018, 8:17 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #844

Love it to bits! The update has enough meat on it that you can chew/digest all of this info with several viewing. Also: don't loose that sense of humor; you guys crack me up
  20. Formerly KCGhostbuster RPF Premium Member Snow Builder's Avatar
    From
    Olathe, KS
    Jul 10, 2018, 7:47 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #845

Outstanding update.
    From
    Croatia
    Sep 14, 2018, 5:02 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #846

GUYS WHAT'S UP!!!!
    Long time no hear I know! I'm sorry I don't post more often, these last couple of months was pretty intense. We filmed the miniatures for almost two months, and then we started doing the sound design and scoring the film. We're really pushing it to finish the film as soon as possible and start applying to festivals.

So today here's a much longer post about miniature filming!
    Didn't actually count them yet, but we needed about 35 VFX shots for Slice. On average we would do one per day. We're showing vast cityscapes so it takes some time to set the buildings up, arrange them in the shot, and then we film 10-15 passes for each shot which takes a couple of hours. Not all shots are of the city of course, so every change of setting basically screwed us up because we weren't on familiar grounds anymore and we had to figure out how to film it. Then there were the matte paintings which were a nightmare of their own, but more on that later.

Let's start with the shipyard setting.

The film basically opens with a couple shots of the shipyard, and I'm sure you'll recognize many miniatures I built before. The printer building, cranes, shipping crates... It's all here. Shipyard was a joy to do because we could try something else apart from city scenes, and it's in a completely different scale as well - we got much closer to the ground.

Here you can see Sandrino setting up some containers. He's a friend who built a couple buildings as well and was of tremendous help during miniature filming. We would break something every day, a tower would tip over and break into million pieces... And poor Sandrino would have to glue it up in 15mins so that we could continue filming.

Here's a setup with our hero car parked near the Shipyard. I'm making the foreground muddy with one of my favorite weathering materials - mud.

Same scene, different angle. Between the objects there's a lot of empty space. We would always choose a camera angle first and then move stuff around until it looked nice and crowded in the shot. On the right you can see two pipes that leak some sewage or something, and a wonderful contraption behind it where we would pour water during the shot so it would come out the pipes.
    And since I really like you guys I'll squeeze in a couple of super-secret temp composits . Here's how that shot looks in the end:

On some occasions we would use miniatures to make some live action shots more spectacular. You remember the back alley shoot I talked about? Here's a before and after:

We added a waste truck passing by and some buildings in the back. That setup looked like this:

But even though it doesn't look that complicated, we still had to do a couple of tests to match the perspective and light to the live action shot, and then figure out how to pull the truck with fishing string so it would look believable. And almost every shot had some little problem of it's own that would complicate our life day by day.

Oh, and then came the matte paintings. I'm still in total awe with the whole concept of matte paintings, but it was a bit nerve wracking. I mean, Stipan painted them for what.. one or two months every day, and now we filmed the first one in half a day, I went to composit it on the computer and it looked like - crap! We had no idea how we should film it and the result just wasn't acceptable for our film. So we kinda got scared a bit, haha. But we started experimenting and invented a couple of tricks that made it more magical and cool.

Here's how the matte painting setup basically looked:

For the first pass we lit it from above so it wouldn't reflect light and filmed the painting from the front. Here's the result:

Then we lit it only from the back and filmed the scratched out lights:

One trick that we thought of was to film the lights through the glass sprinkled with water. In this case you can see the effect is pretty obvious as this painting is supposed to be looked at through the windshield of a car, but for the other paintings we did the same thing only more subtle and the water droplets would turn the lights into stars and it would look pretty cool. So that's a nice trick to remember.

Another thing we thought of was to cut out the silhouettes of the buildings we have on the painting, and shine light from behind them. We would trace the shape of the building Stipan painted, and cut it out from thick paper. Here Sandrino is doing some touch-ups before the take:

That would give us these cool volumetric lights and make the painting look more three-dimensional.

And when I combined it all together it would look something like this:

Ok, then here's a couple of random pics from the city setups. This room is the same one where the toilet scene and all the car stuff was filmed. Not a huge space but we managed. And as always it was the middle of the summer so we had to be shirtless all the time, haha.

It won't let me upload more photos, I think I reached my limit for this post.. I'll post some more stuff tomorrow!
    Talk soon guys!!!
    Last edited by LukaFilm; Sep 14, 2018 at 5:17 PM.
  22. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    Sep 15, 2018, 3:45 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #847

WOW, Amazing work. Looking beautiful.
    Sep 15, 2018, 7:40 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #848

Fantastic post! So cool to see the work in progress.
    From
    Croatia
    4 Weeks Ago  Sep 15, 2018, 2:28 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #849

Thanks a lot guys!
    Here's the second part!

This one's probably going to make you guys from UK laugh... We needed a model of a spaceship that's docked, and it was supposed to be looked at from afar. So to make it faster we bought 3D puzzles of Old Trafford and Anfield stadiums and connected them together into one big mutant stadium, haha. Glued random stuff on top of it and as always spray painted it grey.

It was filmed in front of the cityscape matte painting that Stipan aptly named "California Sun 40000" ?!?!. Since it was only seen from one angle I made the spaceship as a paper cutout. So it's only 2D but you can never tell. Also, you can see I'm looking pretty confused because I have no clue what I'm doing.

In almost every shot we would put something in the background, like tiny flying cars or something. And they have to be in front of the painting, but behind the docked ship. So I always need a so called "matte pass" that tells the computer what to block. Nowadays it can be easily done with greenscreen, but we actually did the same thing that they would do in the 80's. we put white canvas behind the ship, and leave the foreground in the dark. That way we would instantly get a black and white matte, and the computer would know that the tiny flying cars can only appear in the white part. I must say I actually prefer this technique over greenscreen, because you can get much more details this way. 80's ROCK! haha

Here's a temp shot with a lot of stuff missing, but just to give you the idea:

You can see here how most of the lights have a star effect on them. That's 'cause we filmed them through glass sprinkled with water like I explained last time.

All the vehicles and spaceships were of course filmed separately. For each shot we needed to film them in an angle that matched the angle we used when we filmed the shot. So there was again a lot of going back and forth until it all matched. It takes a lot of patience to do this, hahaha.

So that's it for now. I still gotta find time to edit the new Miniatures Production Diary. Until then here's some more -pssssst- super secret shots...

From
    I live on earth.
    4 Weeks Ago  Sep 15, 2018, 5:51 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #850

All that stuff is so awesome. Can't wait. Finally just watched Blade Runner 2049 two weeks ago, so now this gets me even more hyped for your film.