Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of

YO guys!!! What's up?
Not much here, had a couple of commercials to make, but spent every free minute in the workshop!

So, I've been thinking.. Mostly I'm really satisfied with how the film is looking, you know.. The buildings, sets, costumes, props and so.. I really like it.
But there's one thing that I was neeever completely satisfied with, and it's one of the most important things in the film: THE CAR!

4_zpsc24252a5.jpg~original.jpg

I built it as best as I could back then, making sure to follow the design of Citroen BX that we bought for the shoot. But it just never felt futuristic enough, right? And the thing that got me thinking the most was Alfa Romeo car. When I made the Alfa replica recently, I studied it's design and I realized that my car will have to go under the knife.

So, then I did this:

1_zpssthujcch.jpg~original.jpg

2_zpsgxlkvw19.jpg~original.jpg

I thought really hard about what I could do better, and then I tore it all down.
The rear end also got the makeover. Those two boiler things had to go. Back then they seemed futuristic to me, but now I thought they looked too steampunkish. Off with them!

3_zpslole3acf.jpg~original.jpg

OK, then a few days later I started rebuilding it. Mostly I took inspiration from some of the Blade Runner production sketches. I extended the back side for about 2 cm, and lowered the whole body for 1cm. I hope that will give it a more fast/slick look.
Also the back side now has this "roof" thing going on:

4_zps3igcapb4.jpg~original.jpg

More greeblies, more details here and there...

5_zpsdm43qiwp.jpg~original.jpg

The front part also got extended a bit, and I copied the idea for the single extruded front light from Alfa Romeo. It can't get more sci-fi than that! :lol

6_zpscjbokodq.jpg~original.jpg

And also I detailed the front part some more..

7_zps3tjldlmv.jpg~original.jpg

That's it for now. Unfortunately I have to leave the front windshield area untouched, because it has to match the footage that we filmed with our real car. For example shots like this:

8_zpsj0tvvd3a.jpg~original.jpg

But I think even these small changes make some difference. At least I can sleep better at night! :lol

Ok,see you soon!
Next time: Painting!

Last edited:
Yo guys!

Here's some new progress on our hero car!
The time came to spray it with grey primer and that's always enjoyable.

0_zpsdqynjyiy.jpg~original.jpg

1_zpsqinw8ihd.jpg~original.jpg

I wanted to make the sides of the car more busy. I was thinking about some bulky rectangular tanks or something. So instead of building them from scratch I got the idea to use Mini-DV cassettes. I glued some stuff to them, and instantly I got a couple of cool scifi-cargo-things. Also it's a nice nod to an extinct video format. :lol

2_zpssm43n3e4.jpg~original.jpg

Then I painted the car red. You can see Mini-DV's on the side of the car.

3_zpsldahyzb1.jpg~original.jpg

And here it is after a coat of clear varnish, and some wires to make it look more busy.

4_zpstxhfgsto.jpg~original.jpg

Here's the backside too. A little bit of rust here and there...

6_zpsvnjbtwgm.jpg~original.jpg

Next post should be of a finished car. I started soldering some more LED's to it, because more lights is always better. :lol And some proper beauty shots should be made too!

And I made a couple of tiny license plates - R2D, hehe..

5_zpsottyf1il.jpg~original.jpg

See you soon guys! :darnkids

Oh, and the trailer should be out pretty soon, and you'll all get the first glimpse at Slice Of Life!!! Soooooonnnnnn...

Last edited:
A good use for Mini DV tapes besides filming something of course. I didn't realize the car was that big.
I remember back in 2001 I got my first mini DV 3CCD camera. Going from Hi8, it was so amazing looking. To think its now obsolete.

I remember back in 2001 I got my first mini DV 3CCD camera. Going from Hi8, it was so amazing looking. To think its now obsolete.

Oh, yeah man! I also started my film life on Hi8, then a couple of years later switched to mini DV. Of course nowadays that quality and resolution is funny, but somehow I still like the idea of having your footage stored safely on a cassette somewhere, whereas today it's just a bunch of ones and zeroes on a hard disc..... The older generation probably says the same thing about celluloid film.. Oh well.. Here's to the old days! :cheers :lol

Oh, yeah man! I also started my film life on Hi8, then a couple of years later switched to mini DV. Of course nowadays that quality and resolution is funny, but somehow I still like the idea of having your footage stored safely on a cassette somewhere, whereas today it's just a bunch of ones and zeroes on a hard disc..... The older generation probably says the same thing about celluloid film.. Oh well.. Here's to the old days! :cheers :lol

YEAH!!!
My first camera was just a plain old 8mm video tape. However, out of all the cameras I have used, it did the best stop-motion. Hitting the record button as fast as I could 2 times without moving the camera, I could get up to about 7 frames a second. So about 4 actual frames per freeze. Every other camera I've used got only 4 freeze frames a sec. Much more choppy looking. I haven't done stop motion in so long. I don't know if I'd have the patience anymore.

You know they are filming Blade Runner 2049 in Budapest right now. You should somehow find a way to get over their and visit.

Haha, yeah! The thought has crossed my mind considering Croatia is just a 3 hour drive from Budapest. Well, if anyone has Gosling's, Ford's or Villeneuve's phone number, be sure to PM me. :lol:lol

What did you make the number plate from?

Rubble, the plate was just printed on paper and glued on a piece of thin styrene.

OK, so the car is FINISHEEEEED!!!!!
And I figured, I'm just carrying it from room to room, and it's getting dusty all the time... So it would be smart to build a box for the car.

Here I'm cutting the parts on my table saw:

1_zpsuyxwrge6.jpg~original.jpg

And I thought it would be cool to have a spray painted logo on the lid!

2_zpsxj4jd5rh.jpg~original.jpg

The finished box! I still have to put some styrofoam pieces inside that will keep the car suspended...

3_zps6emtgzve.jpg~original.jpg

OK, now the good stuff. Here's the insides of the car. There's a lot of wires, and most LEDs are powered by Arduino which makes them blink. The Arduino code was kindly written by a member HughB! :cheers

4_zpsyzl0tj9q.jpg~original.jpg

And here are some photos of a finished car:

5_zpsvwf8ppp0.jpg~original.jpg

6_zpsmctcwqs2.jpg~original.jpg

And the back side.

7_zpsmvge3br0.jpg~original.jpg

8_zpsespzjajs.jpg~original.jpg

9_zpsc9j5oke7.jpg~original.jpg

And here's a quick composit of a car in the city:

10_zpsfhz5st2v.jpg~original.jpg

So there it is. I like it a lot this time, haha.. Hope it looks good to you too..
These days we are filming some more VFX shots for the trailer, editing it, doing the sound design and other stuff.

See you soon! Bye!!!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back