Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of

Luka, Tom is a great guy, a gentleman and ready to share what he has with us fans. He`s part of Propsummit and because of him, we have solved many mysteries about the Voight-Kampff machine, all of his magazines, logos, fonts, tiles from Tyrell`s etc! Wonderful news and a great guy to talk to!

Yes, yes! I read that awesome thread at Propsummit! So much discoveries in that thread!
It's funny how I got to talk to him, it means a lot to me!

Ok, I built one more building. Well, actually it's a platform.. I think I'll use it in a couple of shots in the film.
I started with some scrap pieces of wood I had lying around.

1_zpshemtpinp.jpg~original.jpg

Next, I glued styrene on top of it, and carved the usual SciFi panels.

2_zpsf9h666ns.jpg~original.jpg

A couple of hours, a printer, modem, and a circuit board later: :lol

3_zpsohppfnsw.jpg~original.jpg

Then I tried to make those concrete "warning" blocks.. I don't know their name, but you know what I mean.. Sprayed them yellow first, then wrapped masking tape around them, and sprayed a coat of black.

4_zpsjqeappvl.jpg~original.jpg

Everything in place, and rusted pretty good with that "real rust" technique.

5_zpsqtgrmvmc.jpg~original.jpg

6_zps5mpv4lgd.jpg~original.jpg

And for the grand finale, a quick test shot with the new buildings..

7_zpss2zzvuun.jpg~original.jpg

See you soon guys, and thanks for your comments!!!
:ninja

Last edited:
I just now discovered your thread... Wow... Those test shots look perfect. I can't distinguish them from the real deal, so you definitely did an amazing job. I always wanted to do an all-practical scifi short as well, so it's good to know that you guys actually got around to do it and that it looks amazing. :D

Haha, yeah, it's really enjoyable to build those buildings. I can get creative and build them from my imagination.

Today we have a different situation where I started to replicate a famous Blade Runner car - Alfa Romeo!!! It was only a matter of time, haha. It's not completely accurate of course, but I tried to respect the original as much as I could, and that's why it's going much slower than the buildings. I wanted to build it for quite some time now, but I'll also use it in the film for random flybys I guess.

Ok, so I started with the basic shape, and I decided to build it in two halves so that I can open it if I need to fix any LED problems.

1_zpsivhbdgjp.jpg~original.jpg

Then I started adding all those layers of plastic.. The paneling.. That took a lot of time.

2_zpsotmmyrxg.jpg~original.jpg

And here are the two halves mostly finished..Obviously not one kit part is accurate, but at least I tried to use similar parts.

3_zpsx0tblpr2.jpg~original.jpg

I had some toy lying around and it came with a preprogramed circuitboard and 4 blinking leds. I figured I could use it for Alfa Romeo, so I soldered a couple more leds on the same battery source. The blinking leds will go on the roof, the others to the front and back of the car. The original model had far less lights, but I'm thinking you can never have enough lights. :lol

4_zpsrol4vxjs.jpg~original.jpg

That's it for today.. In the next couple of days I'll paint it and take some photos in the smoke.
I'm ending this post with a romantic morning photo from my workshop. :lol
Thank you for looking guys!

5_zpswiobpuyp.jpg~original.jpg

Last edited:
That Alfa is not a simple model to make, but you have come really close to achieve the same look. Eager to see it fly!

Hey guys!
Had a lot of work to do in the last couple of days, but I finally managed to finish Alfa Romeo!!

After all the building it was pretty awesome to start the painting process. First - the black primer. I also put the lights roughly in place for this shot.

1_zpsid8wefnh.jpg~original.jpg

Here's the model broken down into main pieces. There's top and bottom part, tires are separate, and also there's the "battery lid" on the far right.

2_zpsnqi7pqln.jpg~original.jpg

I bought a cheap 15$ made-in-china airbrush some time ago. It's giving me tons of frustrations every time I use it, but it's still the best solution I have for painting stuff. I developed my own "supersecret" mixture of cheap acrylic paints that clogs the airbrush all the time, hahaha! :wacko Anyway, I managed to paint the Alfa its signature red color...

3_zps2u0lpoze.jpg~original.jpg

On the rare occasions when it actually works, it's really enjoyable to paint with airbrush. Next, I had to mask the model to isolate the silver parts, and to bring back some of the blacks.

4_zpscb7rfp4h.jpg~original.jpg

Here's the painted car, but without the windshield, LED lights, and before the washes and the dirt.

5_zpslkiwe0iv.jpg~original.jpg

And here's the car with all those things: :lol

6_zps6ru5fw35.jpg~original.jpg

The rear side:

7_zpsimwhfxdy.jpg~original.jpg

And as usual, a couple of beauty shots in the fog:

8_zpsbaqi4t3n.jpg~original.jpg

9_zpsfy3vvii0.jpg~original.jpg

As I said, I added much more lights to the model than the original had, but I think more lights is always better! :D Also, the ones on the roof blink.
Thanks for looking guys!!!
Cheers!! :cheers

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back