Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of

YO YO guys! I'm back from LA!

It was intense, I've seen some pretty cool stuff, filmed a lot of video material... But most importantly - visited as much Blade Runner locations as humanly possible.. :D
I'll try to edit a small travel video as fast as I can to show you all the locations, and I'll post some pictures soon..

For now just a teaser:

brad_zpsefxylbz2.jpg~original.jpg

Last edited:
YO guys, I'm back in the hoooood!

1_zpsh6bimo9v.jpg~original.jpg

Ok, I finally managed to edit the travel video, and sort my photos!
Let's look at some photos first.
Here's one in front of the Bradbury!:lol

2_zps3rnwmww4.jpg~original.jpg

The Bradbury is such a beautiful building. There's so many details there - everything is designed and decorated. Really, really nice..

3_zpsgtuoxakm.jpg~original.jpg

Here's one of the Union Station... This is from the angle they did in the film. You can't walk around though so I could only take photos from far away, or through the small window.

4_zpsl4oxpacy.jpg~original.jpg

The Ennis house is also closed to public so I could only see it from outside.. I was concentrated on the filming so I forgot to take the photo of Ennis house, haha. :wacko But here's one of the panels. I measured it too, so if you want to make a replica it's 40,5cm or 16 inches long. All panels are in pretty bad shape like this one.. They were molded from concrete and it deteriorates through the years...

5_zpsdhuvvfzh.jpg~original.jpg

Oh, and I took the Warner Brothers Studio tour, and look what I found!!!!

6_zpsqhqxeohj.jpg~original.jpg

It's exhibited there and the light's are working.. It would be nice to make a replica one day!!!

Ok, so here's the video finally.
I hope you will find it interesting, and maybe even hear some new pieces of trivia!

Thanks for watching guys, and see you soon!!! :ninja

Attachments

• 1_zpsh6bimo9v.jpg~original.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 89
    266.1 KB · Views: 82
    266.1 KB · Views: 78
    266.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 2_zps3rnwmww4.jpg~original.jpg
    816.6 KB · Views: 75
    816.6 KB · Views: 79
    816.6 KB · Views: 82
    816.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 3_zpsgtuoxakm.jpg~original.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 85
    366 KB · Views: 77
    366 KB · Views: 85
    366 KB · Views: 77
  • 4_zpsl4oxpacy.jpg~original.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 80
    295.5 KB · Views: 100
    295.5 KB · Views: 79
    295.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 5_zpsdhuvvfzh.jpg~original.jpg
    543.8 KB · Views: 87
    543.8 KB · Views: 79
    543.8 KB · Views: 83
    543.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 6_zpsqhqxeohj.jpg~original.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 80
    237.6 KB · Views: 92
    237.6 KB · Views: 90
    237.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, What a trip that must have been. Thank you so much for filming and sharing. Incredible :) So, you're in the HOOOD now ;)

That blimp looks an amazing model too.

YO YO YO guys!!

Sorry for the extremely long period without posts. As usual there were some jobs that got in the way, but also something more interesting.
Dino (who is a DOP on Slice of life) started shooting his own short film this summer, so most of our free time went into production of his film. It will be called "Passenger" and it's a short thriller/mistery set in the 70's, with a little David Fincher vibe going on...

Ok, but at least I managed to make some new buildings in the meantime, and here's some photos just to break the radio silence! :lol

So here's some landing tower or something. I did it in small diecast car scale, and I plan to put a couple of vehicles on the pads there..

1_zpsgtntqu7k.jpg~original.jpg

Another building that I thought could be very useful is some kind of a bridge. It can be a freestanding building, but I can also use it to connect two buildings or something.. So we could get some interesting shapes there..

2_zpsbc3yvajz.jpg~original.jpg

Here's one more shot.. Again, I'm using all of the junk I have lying around, and I must say I used up most of it. Maybe it's a sign that we should stop building, and start filming, eh?? :lol

3_zpsmibm4lcg.jpg~original.jpg

Then the usual primer + spaceship gray routine.

4_zpse7hcs684.jpg~original.jpg

Here's one of the tricks I started using recently!
I was making some steel construction in the yard with my father, and after sawing all of the steel pipes I collected the steel sawdust.
I sprinkle it lightly on the models:

5_zpsfxgvqec0.jpg~original.jpg

Then I drench it with a mix of water and vinegar. I soak it pretty good, and usually repeat the soaking process two or three times.

6_zpss3ybe2hr.jpg~original.jpg

When it dries I remove sawdust with the brush, and there's a nice looking rust all over the model. Actual real rust!

7_zps6y2ve6nt.jpg~original.jpg

I'm making another platform, and I'll post it soon.
See you guys!
Bye!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Welcome back; a good year round use for those baubles that only come out once a year ;)

Interesting technique too, one to bear in mind.

Inspiring stuff, man. You really make me want to try out the video feature on my camera!

And I'm sure we'd love to see what you've been doing on your buddy's Passenger film.

--Alex

Looove it!! It's amazing how re-used greeblies (placed just so) can have a new life as something as cool as your tower and bridge.

I found this thread ages ago, over on the Propsummit site. If I remember correctly, when I started reading through the thread, you guys had got as far as re-dressing the toilet set, after finishing work on the car and sending it to the scrapyard in the sky. I was blown away by the work you had done up to that point...but now? Wow. Just...wow.

OK!!! Yesterday I had a telephone conversation with Tom Southwell, production illustrator on Blade Runner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek

This is crazy! I was at a youth film festival here in Croatia, where I held a VFX workshop for kids. It's an international festival where many foreign people come, and I met a dean of Relativity film school from LA. We talked a little bit and I said I'm making a Blade Runner inspired film, and he's like: Oh, the designer that worked on BR is a professor at our school.
I'm like: Tom Southwell?
And he's like: You know who Tom Southwell is?
I explained I know all those guys that worked on the film, of course.. :lol

And he's like: Let's call him!!
Haha!! I was totally confused.. It was surreal.. I mean Tom's gonna hear about Slice of life?? Amazing!!
So we talked a bit, he was really nice and I said I'll send him this thread to check it out.

Man... It's a small world, ain't it?

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back