Subscribe
    From
    Croatia
    Apr 22, 2016, 4:00 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #551

Thanks for the love guys! <3 <3
    Yeah, I'll definitely visit all BR locations I can find, and I'll make a production/tourist diary out of it!

Richard, Ennis Brown house was used for just a couple of shots. You can see it during the exterior shot when Deckard arrives home with his sedan.. Interior is a set, but they took the molds from Wright's tiles and replicated them..

Can't wait to see it!!!
  2. The King in Yellow RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Lost Carcosa
    Apr 22, 2016, 4:55 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #552

Yeah, just the exterior shots of Deckard pulling up to his 'apartment building' in the rain.

The tunnel from BR is also in the LA area.
    From
    London
    Apr 23, 2016, 11:20 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #553

this is so amazing . keep up the great work
    From
    Croatia
    May 3, 2016, 6:44 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #554

Yo people!
    I've got one more post before my trip!
    We filmed a couple more miniature shots - this time the legendary SUSHI BAR!

First, I dragged it out from the storage, dusted it, and evaluated the damage! It hasn't been touched for two years!!

I fixed the model and started soldering LEDs. Then I made this light-rig and glued some tiny christmas lights..

I also built some kind of small tower at the right, and the yellow vertical light at the top.

I designed some billboards as well! The "Yellow Flame Sushi" ad is the real one from BR, and above it you can see some traces of Slice ad glued over a familiar beer brand!

The building has around 30 lights so it got quite messy at the back where all wires connect. At least it all works! Thank God!

Ok, now the filming starts. First, here's one without the lights, just an artsy photo in the fog!

Then one with everything on, in a slightly different atmosphere. I just love this building!!

And finally the real shot!!!!

We are struggling with crappy equipment, and still figuring it all out, but for now the main goal is putting the trailer out!
    I mean, it's been a little over two years since we did our first miniature test. Do you remember that? here's that shot, haha:

Of course we didn't have other towers and lights then, but I can safely say we learned a lot in the process, and there's much more still to discover!

Ok, that's all from me!
    My next post will hopefully be from LA!

Love you all, and see you soon!
    Byeeeeeeeeeeee
    From
    United Kingdom
    May 3, 2016, 7:20 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #555

This is looking amazing! That final shot is spectacular.

Is that a police car model with sequenced lights I see there ?
  6. Member Since
    Mar 2013
    From
    Portland, OR
    May 3, 2016, 9:13 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #556

Fan-freakin-tastic! You are a wizard, sir.

--Alex
  7. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    May 3, 2016, 10:31 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #557

WOW beautiful and great update. And yep, I do remember that first shot, you take that, ran with it and knocked it out of the ball park!!!!
  8. Member Since
    May 2013
    From
    Germany
    May 3, 2016, 11:44 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #558

It looks real. Amazing work!
  9. The King in Yellow RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Lost Carcosa
    May 3, 2016, 4:31 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #559

Damn, that real shot looks great!

Nice job on the billboards as well

You know, it's currently 'in style' to release a teaser trailer for the trailer... You can just slap together a few cool scenes without needing to really set-up a storyline, and stick the title card on the end.

-MJ
    From
    I live on earth.
    May 3, 2016, 6:01 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #560

That really is looking great. And yes, we need a teaser trailer, even if its just for the RPF.
    From
    Northern part of Los Angeles County
    May 6, 2016, 5:33 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #561

It's very exciting to see these updates. I love this building too!
  12. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    May 7, 2016, 9:01 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #562

Good god!
  13. RPF Premium Member nick daring's Avatar
    From
    Austin TX
    May 7, 2016, 11:30 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #563

Best thread ever! So much delicious work being done.

Can't wait to see the final results.
    May 8, 2016, 4:30 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #564

Beautiful shots of that famous Sushi-Bar; final comp looks the bomb!! I cannot wait for the trailer
  15. Member Since
    Nov 2015
    From
    United Kingdom
    May 11, 2016, 11:43 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #565

Amazing stuff - I'm so excited for this movie!
    From
    OE / FRANCE
    May 23, 2016, 6:46 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #566

AWESOME !

(GREAT little reference to the first A L I E N FILM in that billboard BTW)
  17. RPF Premium Member LukaFilm's Avatar
    From
    Croatia
    Jun 2, 2016, 5:52 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #567

YO YO guys! I'm back from LA!

It was intense, I've seen some pretty cool stuff, filmed a lot of video material... But most importantly - visited as much Blade Runner locations as humanly possible..
    I'll try to edit a small travel video as fast as I can to show you all the locations, and I'll post some pictures soon..

And for now just a teaser:

Jun 2, 2016, 8:12 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #568

Amazing, would love to visit there. It must be surreal to see it "in the flesh", so to speak.
  19. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    Jun 2, 2016, 3:29 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #569

Cool photo

Welcome back.
  20. The King in Yellow RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Lost Carcosa
    Jun 2, 2016, 10:57 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #570

Awesome

Welcome back.
  21. RPF Premium Member LukaFilm's Avatar
    From
    Croatia
    Jun 10, 2016, 5:45 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #571

YO guys, I'm back in the hoooood!

Ok, I finally managed to edit the travel video, and sort my photos!
    Let's look at some photos first.
    Here's one in front of the Bradbury!

The Bradbury is such a beautiful building. There's so many details there - everything is designed and decorated. Really, really nice..

Here's one of the Union Station... This is from the angle they did in the film. You can't walk around though so I could only take photos from far away, or through the small window.

The Ennis house is also closed to public so I could only see it from outside.. I was concentrated on the filming so I forgot to take the photo of Ennis house, haha. But here's one of the panels. I measured it too, so if you want to make a replica it's 40,5cm or 16 inches long. All panels are in pretty bad shape like this one.. They were molded from concrete and it deteriorates through the years...

Oh, and I took the Warner Brothers Studio tour, and look what I found!!!!

It's exhibited there and the light's are working.. It would be nice to make a replica one day!!!

Ok, so here's the video finally.
    I hope you will find it interesting, and maybe even hear some new pieces of trivia!

Thanks for watching guys, and see you soon!!!
  22. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    Jun 10, 2016, 6:25 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #572

WOW, What a trip that must have been. Thank you so much for filming and sharing. Incredible So, you're in the HOOOD now

That blimp looks an amazing model too.
  23. RPF Premium Member LukaFilm's Avatar
    From
    Croatia
    Sep 3, 2016, 8:35 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #573

YO YO YO guys!!

Sorry for the extremely long period without posts. As usual there were some jobs that got in the way, but also something more interesting.
    Dino (who is a DOP on Slice of life) started shooting his own short film this summer, so most of our free time went into production of his film. It will be called "Passenger" and it's a short thriller/mistery set in the 70's, with a little David Fincher vibe going on...
    We're thinking about making another thread that will follow the production of "Passenger", because we're also using some cool retro techniques like back projection that could be fun to talk about...

Ok, but at least I managed to make some new buildings in the meantime, and here's some photos just to break the radio silence!

So here's some landing tower or something. I did it in small diecast car scale, and I plan to put a couple of vehicles on the pads there..

Another building that I thought could be very useful is some kind of a bridge. It can be a freestanding building, but I can also use it to connect two buildings or something.. So we could get some interesting shapes there..

Here's one more shot.. Again, I'm using all of the junk I have lying around, and I must say I used up most of it. Maybe it's a sign that we should stop building, and start filming, eh??

Then the usual primer + spaceship gray routine.

Here's one of the tricks I started using recently!
    I was making some steel construction in the yard with my father, and after sawing all of the steel pipes I collected the steel sawdust.
    I sprinkle it lightly on the models:

Then I drench it with water. I soak it pretty good, and usually repeat the soaking process two or three times.

When it dries I remove sawdust with the brush, and there's a nice looking rust all over the model. Actual real rust!

I'm making another platform, and I'll post it soon.
    See you guys!
    Bye!!!!!!!!!!
  24. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    Sep 3, 2016, 11:16 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #574

Welcome back; a good year round use for those baubles that only come out once a year

Interesting technique too, one to bear in mind.
  25. The King in Yellow RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Lost Carcosa
    Sep 3, 2016, 3:57 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #575

It's good to hear from you!

Love the new buildings.