Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of

And now you know why film sets have removable walls...

....I can't believe you collected real spider webs for that...

Thanks for sharing :)

-MJ

Ive just read this whole thread and im amazed at the incredible job you guys are doing, incredible work on all fronts :thumbsup, keep it up guys this is one of the most amazing threads on the RPF :)

Hey guys!!

Unfortunately because of some personal issues we had to take a break from the shooting for a week or two, so I decided to get some other work done.
I decided to make a replica of one of my favorite models from Blade Runner -the Fuel Tanker!

0_zpsiwfypmrg.jpg~original.jpg

It was built by Bill George... Isn't it beautiful?
We're going to use it in a couple of shots in the film.
Of course, this will not be a 100% true replica since I don't have the original donor kits and other stuff. I'll just improvise through the build.
I'd love to track down all the correct parts for all of the models, but in that case we will make this film just in time for Blade Runner's 50'th anniversary. :lol:lol

I began with hacking up some firetruck toy I had lying around which fortunately bears some resemblance to the original model..

1_zpswgkhjbfi.jpg~original.jpg

I suspect Bill may have vacuumformed those parts, but for me it was easier to build them:

2_zpslbfenc2m.jpg~original.jpg

3_zpsmqwchtgd.jpg~original.jpg

In the back of the last photo you can see a 1000 small pieces I cut from the long aluminum pipe that sits in the foreground. Then I glued one by one in between the tanks:

4_zpsnv2wy8xv.jpg~original.jpg

Here I made some kind of a wooden base, and started detailing the front:

5_zpszk9slz1j.jpg~original.jpg

And here's where I'm currently at:

6_zpsco1l8lct.jpg~original.jpg

It's a joy making this model and I'll post new stuff soon, I'm off to the workshop!
Bye!!

Last edited:
Hey hey,
here's some progress on the fuel tanker!

Next thing to do was the underside. I decided to make it removable for easier installation of LED lights, and it will just be screwed from beneath.. (screwed from beneath ?!? :rolleyes)
Anyway, I cut the board and the slots on my table-saw, and glued the piping:

0_zpsusnalq0d.jpg~original.jpg

Then I painted it. I made a mix of acrylic paint + sand + sawdust + wood glue. It worked good, the sand and sawdust are not falling off, even if I rub the surface.

1_zpsrllcwmri.jpg~original.jpg

In the meantime I was making casts of tires. I made a mold of the tires from the firetruck toy, and cast a gazillion of them. That was boring.

3_zpsil5lzbjz.jpg~original.jpg

And here's where I'm at right now. There's still some work to be done on the cabin, and some details are needed here and there, but it's pretty close to being ready for paint!

2_zpsqyo7pnz4.jpg~original.jpg

I can see that not all the measurements are accurate to the original, and of course I'm really improvising with detailing, but hey, for three days work.. what can you expect?! ;)
It'll look cool when I install the lights, I'm looking forward to it!

Stay tuned for a new update soon!
bye!!

Last edited:
That truck is turning out great! I always loved the big street cleaning/garbage trucks in BR. They were beautiful and excessive designs that gave the city even more dimension.
Again, I wish I could join in all the fun, this project is really sensational!

Nathan

I'm with Kaiburr and wish I could go over there and be a part of this. Such an amazing job you're doing on the truck. It looks great to me and accurate enough to recognize what it is. Besides, not all trucks have to look alike. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Thank you for your awesome comments guys!!!

Today I finished the detailing, glued all of the tires to their place and primed the tanker.. Here's a photo right before the primer:

1_zpsl20bzoma.jpg

STOP! PRIMER TIME!

2_zps16blb8zw.jpg~original.jpg

And a view of the underside:

3_zpsieeyb2ai.jpg~original.jpg

Tomorrow I start the painting.. And soon it'll be ready to fly!!!

Last edited:
Looks amazing so far, don't be surprised if you see folks wanting to make replicas of your cigarette and gum packages once this comes out for the BR collections.

Hahaaaa, Wes R, if that happens I'll be the happiest person on RPF! :lol

So today was about painting the fuel tanker.. I sprayed it with brownish dirt layer first to give it some texture, and then I painted the tanks green...

1_zpsfhxek7a2.jpg~original.jpg

You can see the cabin and the hatches are still separated to make it easier for me to paint them.

2_zpssrqokbna.jpg~original.jpg

There's a whole lotta masking goin' on! I cut the numbers by hand since I don't have a way to make decals.

3_zpsd5gut8hf.jpg~original.jpg

And hereeeeee it is:

4_zpsi6ow9d6t.jpg~original.jpg

I quickly threw some dirt and rust here and there but it's not done yet. There's still some painting to do, and installing the lights of course..

5_zps6trkz24l.jpg~original.jpg

The cabin has that ugly line in the middle because I wanted to be able to open it. If LEDs die on me during filming I need to be able to change them fast..
That's it for today, see you soon!!!

:cheers

Last edited:
Well, you could put something on it to cover the seam line, like a strip of tank treads or something.

Looks good for having been built quick & dirty :)

And I feel bad for you having to cut those number masks by hand.

-MJ

HEY!
We started filming again!!! We are making progress slowly but surely, but it's not easy since its a 100°C on our set! :angry
Soon I'll have something fresh from the set for you, but this time here's a couple of beauty shots of fuel tanker.

0.jpg

It took me two weeks to install lights because I was waiting for some parts I bought on Ebay to arrive. Then my cousin helped me with soldering.

1.jpg

I did take the liberty to install 4 white LEDs to the front of the tanker, since it will look better that way in our scene, and I figured it's logical to have headlights. :D

2.jpg

3.jpg

Soon I'll have news from the set, and even another production diary!
Thanks for looking!

:D

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back