Subscribe
    From
    Ireland
    Aug 27, 2015, 1:05 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #451

Mike J. said: View Post
    ASC? Really?

Is he just jiggling the plug? You can buy strobe lights from the party store, you know.

Good lord, be careful with your pyrotechnics and your water & electricity.

If you want to re-shoot an insert or close-up of the rat being scared & running away, you could try bringing a big dog or cat on stage to scare the rat. I read on the IMDB that they did that on Alien to get a "hiss" out of Jonesy the cat.

Happy birthday, Slice of Life!

-MJ
    Hey J.J.Abhrams admitted that there was only one cameraman that would get the vibration effect he was looking for so he had to call hi. Each time he wanted to use the affect.
    no different LOL
    From
    Croatia
    Aug 29, 2015, 2:25 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #452

Thanks a lot for your comments guys!!
    But wait!
    What is shaped like this, and appeared in Blade runner???

Last edited by LukaFilm; Sep 10, 2017 at 5:10 PM.
  3. Pixel Pusher RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area
    Aug 29, 2015, 2:33 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #453

An odd-looking building, which is certainly not a re-dressed Millennium Falcon!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city_tilt7.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	842.3 KB 
ID:	521683   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot1 150.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	521685   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city_shoot5.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	454.0 KB 
ID:	521679  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	br-falcon11.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	521678  
    From
    I live on earth.
    Aug 30, 2015, 3:17 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #454

I'd had always heard about the Millennium Falcon as a building, but never knew what one and how it was incorporated in. I see it now...yaaahhhhh.
    Things be looking good in this short film.
    From
    Croatia
    Aug 30, 2015, 3:30 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #455

That's right Mike!

For those that are not familiar with the story - during model work on Blade Runner the crew had to build a lot of buildings quickly, so they were using whatever they could. Modeler Bill George was making his own Millennium Falcon model in his spare time so he quickly re-dressed it into a building..
    That's cool, he had a Falcon that turned into a building, and I'll have a building that's going to turn into a Falcon after the filming!

So here's the progress...
    I cut the Falcon shape silhouette from 3mm styrene. I used an interesting technique to cut the round shape using my table saw. I learned it from my youtube hero Jimmy DiResta, who has a fantastic youtube channel about making stuff.

That's how I did it, and here's how he did it -> check him out he's awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_roPv_WrZzw

Then I reinforced the body with some boards, and started covering the plywood with styrene.

Here's the other side:

Next I had to make these curved supports - the usual Falcon making process.

I managed to plate it today, and I started working on the platforms:

That's it for now, I hope I'll have more progress in the next week!
    See ya!
    Last edited by LukaFilm; Sep 10, 2017 at 5:12 PM.
  6. RPF Premium Member nick daring's Avatar
    From
    Austin TX
    Aug 30, 2015, 6:00 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #456

Amaziong work on every aspect of this project! So much fun to see your progress!
    Aug 30, 2015, 8:50 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #457

Great work and attention to details...btw, that BR Falcon model was sold several years ago. Bill George never make the necessary transformations to make it back to an original StarWars model.
    From
    Croatia
    Sep 1, 2015, 4:06 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #458

OK, some updates!

Today I worked on that upper platform. Here's the basic construction:

As always, I just glued a bunch of interesting parts from old electronic devices. It's fun to make towers like that!

These electronic parts are so useful that I really think if you give 15 old TV's to five modelers they could make you whole city in no time!
    And here it is, primed in black and painted gray:

I used hairpins for antennas... Does anyone know if it's possible to buy interesting photoetched antennas like the ones they made for blade runner?
    It would look much better with them, but there is no company in Croatia that does photoetching, I checked...

Well, anyway, here is the platform on top of the Falcon:

Next - detailing the Falcon!

See you soon!
    Last edited by LukaFilm; Sep 10, 2017 at 5:14 PM.
    From
    Northern part of Los Angeles County
    Sep 1, 2015, 4:24 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #459

Looking great as always.
  10. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    Sep 1, 2015, 4:30 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #460

Awesome update. I love the sections involved with the models and their shooting. I also love the live action scenes too. The production diaries are a whole new level of information too. Love this thread and eagerly await each update. Keep up the great work there.
  11. Pixel Pusher RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area
    Sep 1, 2015, 7:04 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #461

You might talk to Jason Eaton (MoffEaton): I know he had some BR-accurate photo etch made for his blimp, and he may have some left over.

Alternatively, there are ways to etch metal yourself, with ... chemicals & electricity & stuff ... I don't really have any experience with that...

OR, you could carefully check the model train shops for phototeched things, like high-voltage power line towers, or railings, or model aircraft / ship details, or AFV accessories.

...Or, you could BUILD your own antennas out of wire / paperclips / razor blades / thin plastic strips. Probably the most labor-intensive option, but also maybe the cheapest : /

Upper platform looks good!

-MJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iKBsOly.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	425.9 KB 
ID:	523364   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	T5uwGQa.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	326.6 KB 
ID:	523363   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VUeZ59T.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	368.4 KB 
ID:	523362  

Name:	hades_set.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	854.9 KB 
ID:	523361   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hades_landscape.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	692.1 KB 
ID:	523360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hades_construction7.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	911.5 KB 
ID:	523359  

Name:	blimp_const_material.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	796.6 KB 
ID:	523358  
    Sep 1, 2015, 8:36 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #462

Platform looks mighty good! Electronics of any kind are a gift to us model makers; I use computers/TV, etc for all of my greeblies nowadays.
    Sep 6, 2015, 12:56 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #463

There are a lot of TV, electrical and telecommunications tower kits available for model train setups. Mostly from Japan. TomyTec makes some. Not sure if you can buy them from Croatia.
    Odds are your hairpins will not be visible in camera. Your work is great as is.
  14. RPF Premium Member LukaFilm's Avatar
    From
    Croatia
    Sep 10, 2015, 1:34 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #464

Hey guys!

I've been toying with the idea of making real photo-etched sheets like the ones they used for Blade Runner, and I've set up an interest thread in "Project Run" forum.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=246419

Please check out the link and see if you are interested!!!

THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNK YOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

Last edited by LukaFilm; Sep 10, 2017 at 5:15 PM.
  15. Pixel Pusher RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area
    Sep 10, 2015, 5:46 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #465

Here's another pic of the Falcon building when it was sold. Looks like it lost some parts, but you can see it was covered with cables & plates for texture.

http://s113.photobucket.com/user/lol...S004b.jpg.html
    From
    The Deadzone aka Los Banos, CA
    Sep 17, 2015, 1:57 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #466

Just found this thread and spent a few hours going through each post and this thread rocks so damn awesome!!!

Have a question what are you going to do with all the miniature props when done?
    From
    West Oz.
    Sep 17, 2015, 3:23 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #467

Love the details on the platform. I see you had a few Pentium II's spare.....
  18. Member Since
    Apr 2010
    Sep 17, 2015, 8:29 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #468

Have a look at these for inspiration

http://floatingdrydock.com/model.htm

Cheers

Jim
  19. RPF Premium Member LukaFilm's Avatar
    From
    Croatia
    Sep 23, 2015, 3:42 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #469

Hey people!

Getoninja, you asked what will we do with the props?
    Well, most of the smaller ones will stay in my possession and I'll display them in my home I guess.. When I finish the film I plan to have a huge exhibition in some gallery here in Croatia, but I imagine after that I won't have anywhere to put all those buildings.. I think I see a HUGE bonfire in the future! Hahaha

OK, I finally got some time in the shop, and made some progress on the Falcon building.
    Unfortunately I borrowed my Canon camera to a friend so these pics are from the smartphone = crappy!

I glued a bunch of random stuff to the falcon, mostly model sprueces:

Then primed and painted it light gray...

For lighting I just used Christmas lights... cheap and simple...

I'm a bit sad that I don't have my camera and can't take some proper pictures.. Smartphone can't handle low key lighting that good...
    Here's one nasty, grainy photo:

That's it for today...
    We have a lot of work again, so no free time to work on the film..
    Soon though!

Byeeeeeeeeeee!
    Last edited by LukaFilm; Sep 10, 2017 at 5:16 PM.
  20. Member Since
    May 2013
    From
    Germany
    Sep 23, 2015, 4:45 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #470

I am amazed how fast you can build such a perfect model... others take years to get a falcon model to this stage, and you pull it off in a few days or weeks.
    BTW, are the two cylinders in the gun turret opening what I think they are?

Cheers,
    Thorsten
  21. Pixel Pusher RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area
    Sep 23, 2015, 6:29 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #471

Awesome
  22. RPF Premium Member LukaFilm's Avatar
    From
    Croatia
    Sep 23, 2015, 7:51 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #472

Naaaaah Thorst, it's way from perfect..
    Of course I can make it in a couple of days when I'm just gluing random stuff on.. Guys who do it for real take their time..
    I just think about what will camera see, and then estimate the percentage of sloppiness I can use!
    And, yep, cylinders are what you think they are! haha

Thanks for your comments guys!
  23. RPF Premium Member LukaFilm's Avatar
    From
    Croatia
    Oct 30, 2015, 3:12 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #473

HEY THERE!!!

Long time no see!
    Been busy with work, but I have some updates!!!

I ordered some EL-wire to try and make a couple of neon signs in miniature!
    I started with the White Dragon sign.

I was bending the EL-wire according to the drawing I made, and attached it to the grid with some wire.

For the base I used a piece of wood and the usual computer greeblies.

I'm happy with how it turned out. Looks realistic enough.

But the best part is turning it on! It totally has that neon feel, I love it!

You can see the head of the dragon is not finished. It's just too detailed. You can't bend EL-wire that hard, so I'll have to add those couple of lines in post.

Here's one more with the city in the back!

Next week we'll film a couple of live action shots we are missing, so stay tuned for some updates!
    See ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by LukaFilm; Sep 10, 2017 at 5:17 PM.
  24. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    Oct 30, 2015, 5:15 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #474

Yeah, updates. I love this thread and have missed them so much. I never knew about EL wire before, you've taught me about something new again. Wonderful.

I've learnt so much from you all there and cannot wait to see all. I know you've said they'll be a back stage video, I look forward to that almost as much as the final release of your film. Let us know where we can buy them.

Congrats and keep up the fantastic work. Looking beautiful and brilliant as always so much attention to detail.

PS the Falcon looks good on the the left too… wonderful work.
  25. Pixel Pusher RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area
    Oct 30, 2015, 6:17 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #475

OMG, that sign looks great! I'm surprised you didn't do the whole thing in post. How big is it? Is it going to be used in the foreground of your miniature shots?