Subscribe
    From
    Katy, TX
    Jul 17, 2015, 3:34 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #426

amazing updates!
  2. Member Since
    Mar 2011
    From
    UK
    Jul 20, 2015, 12:12 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #427

I'm totally blown away, amazing work!

It's great to see your build processes, very inspiring.
  3. Member Since
    Jul 2014
    From
    Oslo
    Jul 21, 2015, 2:06 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #428

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, this is truly amazing Luka!! So inspiring
    From
    Croatia
    Aug 1, 2015, 5:55 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #429

YOOOOO GUYS!!

We're back with fresh news from the set and a super-exclusive Production Diary!!!
    My absence from the forum doesn't mean we've been lazy, quite the contrary... Yesterday we counted our working days, and at this very moment we have around 50 days on the set.
    That's FIFTY! They shoot feature films in 30!

But that's how it is.. We are a really small crew, and we are taking our time to make it look as perfect as we can!

Last couple of weeks in Croatia were really hot, with really high temperatures which slightly interfered with our filming.
    We were really dying on the set, but more about that in the video...

We are slowly working our way around the set and lighting different parts.. Our cop - Ivica Pusticki - is also a regular on the set in the last two weeks..

Here are the guys talking about the next shot and trying to find the best angle.

This is our set seen from above. You can see there's no ceiling, just a couple of 1x2 boards for hanging the top lights.

And last but not least, here's a new "Production Diary No.7"

I hope you'll enjoy it, and we'll see you soon!
    Last edited by LukaFilm; Sep 10, 2017 at 4:07 PM.
  5. Pixel Pusher RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area
    Aug 1, 2015, 10:50 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #430

I feel bad for you guys, with the heat and all... We've maxed out at about 31 C in the past few weeks, but it usually rains every day as well. Hot and humid – the best of both worlds!

In Hollywood, when they need fake sweat, they use glycerin, because it doesn't evaporate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol#Film_Industry

I see you're using the COP pistol, just like Leon used. And you've got the condom machine's video up and running

Thanks for sharing, and good luck!

-MJ
    From
    Northern part of Los Angeles County
    Aug 1, 2015, 11:36 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #431

What a great update! I feel so bad for the heat you had to suffer through but it looks like all of you made the best of it and had fun. Thankfully Alien Jesus blessed you guys with some rain and great paint job on the toilet.
  7. Formerly KCGhostbuster RPF Premium Member Snow Builder's Avatar
    From
    Olathe, KS
    Aug 1, 2015, 2:07 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #432

Outstanding update! Despite the heat you all look like you're having a great time.
  8. RPF Premium Member StevenBills's Avatar
    Aug 1, 2015, 3:42 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #433

LukaFilm said: View Post
    YOOOOO GUYS!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLyyDXMiLms

I hope you'll enjoy it, and we'll see you soon!
    Love the BTS videos. And I think it's okay that you're going a bit slower, because your production value is through the roof! The set and production design really help set the tone of this film. And I love the dolly-in shot that you showed in the BTS vid. Great use of light and shadows and smoke, combined with restrained camera movement, help to tell your story very beautifully.

Well done!

SB

EDIT: Also, what lens was on the BMCC for that shot? Tokina 11-16?
    From
    Ok
    Aug 1, 2015, 6:33 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #434

'Alien Jesus, help us all."
    cracked me up
    Aug 2, 2015, 5:53 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #435

Loved the update! Yes, blood, sweat and tears are the way to go guys I feel the pain of being in a hot costume with hot spotlights on a hot day (been there, done that, got the T-shirt and the ashtray) Keep up the great work, it's going to be great at the end.
  11. RPF Premium Member LukaFilm's Avatar
    From
    Croatia
    Aug 6, 2015, 4:36 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #436

Hey guys, our shoot is slowly coming to an end, we think we have about five days to go..
    In the meantime here's a small update about filmmakers' two most important things - lenses and guns!

Steven Bills asked about the lens, so here's a list of all the lenses we use:

Tokina 11-16 mm 2.8
    Sigma 20 mm 1.8
    Rokinon (Samyang) 35 mm 1.5
    Sigma 50mm 1.4
    Canon 70-200 mm 2.8 IS

and Sigma 24-70 mm 2.8 was used just for a couple of zoom shots.

As for the guns, I am proud to present one of the worst blasters ever:

Don't worry, it was used just for one stunt shot and it was far away from camera. I needed a blaster to throw around so I quickly threw it together in 10 minutes....

Here are all four blasters we use for the film. We installed red LEDs in the cartridge so they glow when connected to the battery.

NO TAECH OK? People always have the need to touch the blasters and they are delicate. I don't want people touching my blasters!

And as Mike pointed out we also use COP Derringer. I made it myself and it's not that accurate. Similar gun under the Derringer is a toy that we use for stunt shots.

That's all the guns we have...
    But don't worry, when we are doing the hero close-up shots - we use the best one we got:

Last edited by LukaFilm; Sep 10, 2017 at 4:08 PM.
    Aug 6, 2015, 8:37 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #437

Hey, if it's to throw around, might as well make it with paper and tape. Love the different weapons you've made for the shoot: Hero (10cm from cam), ground ones (2 meters from cam), stunt (far, far away from cam). Eager to see it all come together (you also, I'm sure!)
  13. RPF Premium Member newmagrathea's Avatar
    From
    Kansas City MO
    Aug 7, 2015, 9:29 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #438

"Alien Jesus help us all" would make a great t-shirt.
    Aug 17, 2015, 8:11 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #439

Hi Luka, et al. I came across this thread by chance whilst researching for a home-made version of Blade Runner which i've been working on, and I have to say, I am completely blown away with what you have created with your team here Luka. Your film looks amazing, I can't wait to see how it turns out! The attention to details is superb.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your production diaries, as they are very insightful and highly entertaining.

Simply outstanding work, well done!
    From
    San Diego, CA
    Aug 23, 2015, 12:46 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #440

Can't wait to see the finished film with all the effort you guys put in. Amazing work so far!
    From
    Ireland
    Aug 23, 2015, 6:20 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #441

Brilliant work, really great
  17. RPF Premium Member LukaFilm's Avatar
    From
    Croatia
    Aug 23, 2015, 7:20 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #442

Hey guys, wow!!!
    Thank you for your great and supportive comments!!!
    I am really glad to see some new names leaving the comments, and I'm very happy that you like what you see!

GREAT NEWS!!! We finished the filming in the toilet set!!!
    It's been around 60 (sixty) days of shooting altogether for something like 8-9 minutes of film. That's a lot!
    We still have to reshoot a couple of shots we are not completely satisfied with, but all in all the toilet is done.

In the last 20 days we started shooting the fight sequence. There's some info about it in the new production diary, but not too much - no spoilers!
    But I have to say it was really satisfying to film the fight, as it's much more dynamic than other stuff, and it can be really creative in terms of props, special effects and problem solving.

So here's the last production diary from the toilet set. I hope you'll enjoy it!

So, yes, it's been a year since we started filming Slice Of Ca... Life, and I'd like to thank all of you who are following our progress, and support us with your comments, you make it all worthwhile!

Talk to you soon and best regards from Slice team!

Last edited by LukaFilm; Sep 10, 2017 at 4:10 PM.
  18. Pixel Pusher RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area
    Aug 23, 2015, 7:41 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #443

ASC? Really?

Is he just jiggling the plug? You can buy strobe lights from the party store, you know.

Good lord, be careful with your pyrotechnics and your water & electricity.

If you want to re-shoot an insert or close-up of the rat being scared & running away, you could try bringing a big dog or cat on stage to scare the rat. I read on the IMDB that they did that on Alien to get a "hiss" out of Jonesy the cat.

Happy birthday, Slice of Life!

-MJ
  19. Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Aug 23, 2015, 11:09 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #444

Amazing, as always. Informative, funny, well-edited, and really really exciting! Can't wait to see whatever comes next. I almost don't want the film to be finished because the production diaries are so great and I don't want them to stop! Almost.
  20. Member Since
    May 2013
    From
    Germany
    Aug 24, 2015, 5:01 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #445

Thank you for the new video, I love it!

Thorsten
  21. Member Since
    Aug 2015
    Aug 24, 2015, 1:21 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #446

Awesome update. Made my very long day to find a new production video. Loving this work.

Great work to all of you, and such a contrast of weather from the last one…
    From
    Northern part of Los Angeles County
    Aug 26, 2015, 12:19 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #447

Congratulations on completing the toilet scene. I know this is going to be a great short film just based on the quality of the production diaries.
  23. RPF Premium Member shmartybird's Avatar
    From
    UK/US
    Aug 26, 2015, 5:16 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #448

How have I missed this thread!? Your attention to detail is absolutely stunning. Subscribed.
    Aug 26, 2015, 7:52 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #449

Love it of course. It's all looking very good.
    Aug 27, 2015, 9:55 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #450

Agreed! All very awesome!