Subscribe
  1. Io, Saturnalia! RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area
    Feb 6, 2015, 7:59 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #326

AWESOME!

"No two, two, four. And noodles."

Every time I got to the local Chinese fast food restaurant, I fantasize about owning my own Asian restaurant, and decorating it like the noodle bar... I should probably play the lottery more often.

Welcome back.

I could have sworn I had the "White Dragon" logo around here somewhere. Maybe I saw it in the five disc set somewhere...

Best I can do is this drawing of the dragon neon sign: https://gndn.wordpress.com/tag/blade-runner/

Your noodle bar looks pretty deep... the movie one seemed pretty shallow to me. Attached is a drawing from the art book...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wd1.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	376.1 KB 
ID:	436071  
  2. Member Since
    Mar 2013
    From
    Portland, OR
    Feb 6, 2015, 9:00 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #327

Awesome. This project is inspiring.

--Alex
  3. RPF Staff RPF Premium Member VilleLeskinen's Avatar
    From
    Finland
    Feb 7, 2015, 3:46 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #328

Finally! Great to see you guys back on the track! The lighting on your photos makes even the unpainted styrofoam look great.
    From
    Buenos Aires
    Feb 7, 2015, 4:38 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #329

So glad this is back on track.
    Im a super fan of this project.
  5. Member Since
    Mar 2013
    From
    Portland, OR
    Feb 7, 2015, 7:38 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #330

I'm gonna tell you right now, if you guys release this as a DVD, I will definitely buy it from you.

Carry on.

--Alex
    From
    I live on earth.
    Feb 7, 2015, 9:54 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #331

14 pages of craziness.....which I just read through. Can't believe I never checked out this project before. Like watching the best making of feature on a DVD.
    Being a video editor myself, I can say I know how crazy this all is. Can't wait to see more.
    From
    Croatia
    Feb 8, 2015, 7:41 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #332

Hey! Thank you ALL for your awesome comments!
    You can be sure we'll release this as a DVD one beautiful day, with tons of bonus features. And it makes me really happy to think it will find its way to you guys!

OK, so the signs were printed yesterday. I cut them to size and glued them in their place.

As planned we also went to IKEA and bought some cheap mugs, bowls and other stuff that looked like it could fit at the noodle bar.

Here's another quick test, this time with a couple of friends that came over. There's still much to do, but it's starting to come together.

And here's another panorama:

That back wall is still empty for now, we'll hang a lot of dishes, frying pans and stuff there.

OK, see you tomorrow and thanks for following our progress!!
    Last edited by LukaFilm; Sep 10, 2017 at 3:29 PM.
  8. Io, Saturnalia! RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area
    Feb 8, 2015, 9:37 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #333

That new test shot looks great!
    Feb 8, 2015, 9:28 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #334

Good to see you back! Of course, when you're doing a wide shot you need more props and stuff to add into your set. As for me, I prefer a mid shot but busy with Soya sauce bottles, boxes of rice, noodles, etc. (less expensive that way) Keep up the great work!
  10. Io, Saturnalia! RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area
    Feb 8, 2015, 9:43 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #335

You know, if you know somebody who can vacuform, you could use those styrofoam pieces as vacuform masters, and crank out as many pieces as you needed...
  11. Member Since
    Mar 2013
    From
    Portland, OR
    Feb 8, 2015, 11:37 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #336

Mike J. said: View Post
    You know, if you know somebody who can vacuform, you could use those styrofoam pieces as vacuform masters, and crank out as many pieces as you needed...
    Would styrofoam hold up to vac-forming? Lots of heat and pressure... I would expect it to maybe melt... or at least deform.

--Alex
  12. RPF Premium Member LukaFilm's Avatar
    From
    Croatia
    Feb 10, 2015, 8:14 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #337

Thanks for your comments, guys..
    Unfortunately I don't know anybody who can vacuform, so all I got as my building material is styrofoam. But it's ok since we had exactly enough for the whole set.

Today we started to decorate the set with dishes, bottles and frying pans that we had in our kitchens. We used literally everything that could be of use.

We also stuck lots of labels around where we tried to copy some kanji lettering, mostly about food. I REALLY hope it will be out of focus in the background, and unreadable, because people who know that alphabet will get a good laugh otherwise...

In the evening our DOP Dino started to experiment with lighting, and we puffed some fog in the room.. There's still many details and props missing, mostly food. We have tomorrow to buy that stuff, and to tackle the costumes. Here's the panorama from today:

We also shot a couple of test shots to see how it looks in camera. I repeat, the set is not yet 100% finished, many props are missing, and most importantly there is no extras in costumes which will give life to the scene.

Today we shot another test. You can see that I opened the shot at the top, and there's the city behind the bar. We thought of that just today after we shot the test, and it made us really happy since it immediately doesn't feel like a room anymore.

This is really a huge learning experience, and we are constantly encountering millions of problems that need to be solved which is tough but cool! Hope you like the look of it!

We film this scene the day after tomorrow. I'll be in touch, and you keep your fingers crossed!
    Last edited by LukaFilm; Sep 10, 2017 at 3:30 PM.
  13. Io, Saturnalia! RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area
    Feb 10, 2015, 9:07 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #338

The set looks great dressed! And the test shot looks great, too.

Are you gonna put any fluid in the bottles back there? Maybe just some colored soda?

Don't forget chopsticks – lots of chopsticks! And soy sauce. Maybe borrow a samovar?

-MJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bladerunner8.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	399.2 KB 
ID:	437511   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot1-31.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	437513   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot1-89.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	437514  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blade runner_34.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	437518   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BRFC_#012403.png 
Views:	214 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	437519  
  14. RPF Staff RPF Premium Member VilleLeskinen's Avatar
    From
    Finland
    Feb 11, 2015, 7:26 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #339

AND NEON LIGHTS! NEON LIGHTS EVERYWHERE!

Seriously though, would love to see a small breakdown on how you guys handle lighting. It seems we never really get it right on our shorts so any tips would be helpful.
  15. Member Since
    Mar 2013
    From
    Portland, OR
    Feb 11, 2015, 10:09 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #340

Yeah, +1 for wanting details about lighting. It's a subject I've been extra interested in lately and you guys seem to have it nailed.

--Alex
    Feb 11, 2015, 5:55 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #341

Looking good already...it's always trials and errors for dressing the set, but so far, as you said, there are a few props/set pieces missing. Hope to see them in the next pics
  17. RPF Premium Member LukaFilm's Avatar
    From
    Croatia
    Feb 12, 2015, 3:41 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #342

It's morning here and today we film the scene!
    Nobody arrived yet so I took some time to post a couple of photos here.

The set is 99% done. We went to some china store and found a couple of traditional decorations that filled some ugly holes in the set.
    Only food is missing now, but that's still in the fridge to avoid unnecessary smells.

Thanks for your interest about the lighting! In the next few days I'll post another production video about the noodle bar, and we'll definitely say something about light.
    So, I'm off to the studio! I hope today goes well!

Oh, and don't worry - chopsticks and soy sauce are in their place

Last edited by LukaFilm; Sep 10, 2017 at 3:32 PM.
  18. Io, Saturnalia! RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area
    Feb 12, 2015, 7:51 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #343

Awesome
  19. RPF Premium Member LukaFilm's Avatar
    From
    Croatia
    Feb 13, 2015, 7:12 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #344

Filming of the "noodle bar" scene is officially over!!!

It took us two days to film it: first day for the main stuff, second one for the close-ups and pickups...
    We shot about 10 shots, and the scene will be 30 seconds long. I know, right? A week of building, two days of filming, and you get 30 sec... But that's how it is!

We hired two Chinese extras from the casting agency to be employees of the White dragon noodle bar. There is not that many Chinese people in Croatia and none of us have any Chinese friends who could have taken that roles. They were really cool, they live here and know croatian pretty well. They never saw Blade runner though, we asked.
    Other extras were just our friends dressed in weird costumes, and with weird hairstyles.

Anton, our leading actor arranged these beautiful fish dishes. He was the only one that had the stomach to do it.

It was cool to sit at the bar, and at some points it really did feel pretty realistic. I even had a cameo role of a taxi driver eating noodles at the bar. Lucky me!

I quickly composited the city in the background to show you how it will look. I do have a couple more ideas for that shot that I will try and we still need to film a proper background, but that's pretty close to how it will look in the finished film.

So that's it for the noodle bar, I hope we'll be off to the toilet scene next. Oh, I will post a new production diary soon, but I need a day or two to edit it.

Thanks for following our progress, and see you soon!!!

Last edited by LukaFilm; Sep 10, 2017 at 3:35 PM.
  20. Io, Saturnalia! RPF Premium Member Mike J.'s Avatar
    From
    Tampa Bay Area
    Feb 13, 2015, 7:32 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #345

Congratulations!

The bar looks great and the food looks gross
    From
    I live on earth.
    Feb 13, 2015, 10:10 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #346

You know, its so sad when you finally finish a major project like this and its done....and the fact that after all the work that its only 15 minutes. But we all know its going to be a pretty awesome 15 mins.
  22. Member Since
    Mar 2013
    From
    Portland, OR
    Feb 13, 2015, 11:24 PM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #347

O u t s t a n d i n g

(I want that to be all in caps, for emphasis on just how outstanding I think it is, but the board won't seem to let me do that. So, read that as a loud shout of praise.)

--Alex
  23. RPF Staff RPF Premium Member VilleLeskinen's Avatar
    From
    Finland
    Feb 14, 2015, 2:31 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #348

OUTSTANDING!
  24. Member Since
    May 2013
    From
    Germany
    Feb 14, 2015, 5:34 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #349

OUTSTANDING!

Can't wait to see more from you!
    Feb 14, 2015, 7:39 AM - Re: Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of #350

Love it and love the fact that you took your time to make it look great (blood, sweat and tears: the only way) The whole comp looks really great and the ambiance is spot on
    So long Sushi Bar and hello Sushi Bar (to destroy your set, but to have it on video...). Keep up the great work!!