Blade Runner SUSHI BAR + SLICE OF LIFE making of

Thanks Bigdaddy, Joberg, and Mike thanks for the photo!
Yeah, I have these photos already. I downloaded Karl's Worldcon folder some time ago. :)
Btw, if any of you have a badge could you please measure it and tell me height and width, and maybe inner diameter of the ring? There are some 30mm rings I could buy online if those are correct.

Well, demolding went as expected. As I thought, the silicone caulking mold is far from perfect. I shouldn't even have bothered to smooth the clay positive, since the mold is not that smooth. :lol

1_zps2701cb48.jpg~original.jpg

But it's ok, It'll get the job done. I made two fiberglass positives and sanded them for as long as I had the interest.

2_zps89b01bca.jpg~original.jpg

I bought a white spray and painted it all so I could see how it looks together. It's ok I think. I'll sand the ear cups some more tomorrow.

3_zps31da61a0.jpg~original.jpg

4_zps397f0979.jpg~original.jpg

It will work. I think my bike helmet is wider that those WW2 flak helmets.. At least to me it looks like that on the pictures. But we wont tell anybody, won't we? ;)

When I sand this and paint it properly I think next thing to do will be that "eagle police badge" that goes on the helmet..
We'll see!

Bye!!!!!

Last edited:
You mean, THIS badge? :lol

IIRC, Karl's photos show one of the uniform hats with this badge on it.

-MJ

Attachments

• br015sign.jpg
    br015sign.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 277
Haha! Yes, that one!
Karl's photos show only details, not a complete badge unfortunately.
I did not have your picture, thanks! It will help with the correct layout.
Combined with pictures like this I think I have enough reference!

blade_runner_police_hat_7_zps1a8fdb4d.jpg~original.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good; you're the first to tackle that helmet btw...everyone on Propsummit did the Policeman with the cap;)

Hm, I dont know Mike.. It looks like it was taken at the same place, but it's not in my worldcon folder.. But great frontal view, thanks!
Yes Joberg, I noticed nobody made the helmet.. Well, mine won't be that accurate, but maybe it will inspire someone to make another, more correct one..

Do you guys think those biker cops wore bubble goggles as the street cops did?

2_zps71a7664b.jpg~original.jpg

I keep looking at this picture and can't decide.
These are similar to ones street cops wore:

full_yellow06009601BubbleGogPaulsonretweb_zpsd331c953.jpg~original.jpg

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
"Zoom...Enhance....Track 31 to 83...Pan left...stop. Track 19 to 25....stop..."

I'm guessing yes on the cop in the middle.

-MJ

Attachments

• 2_zps71a7664b.jpg
    2_zps71a7664b.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 299
The street cops wore the blue Bobble goggles it seems. The amber/orange ones may have been filters from ski goggles or custom. I will look into my old files to see what I have.

Andy

Thanks for your opinions guys! Andy, if you dig something up I'll appreciate it.

I went to the post office, something cool came in mail WOHOOO:

1_zps8b7fee39.jpg~original.jpg

Casio ML-71 calculator that cops had on the left arm! Unfortunately, the watch is not the correct C-80 model because it was expensive last time I checked.. For now it's only a cheap similar version. :lol

More helmet pictures tonight!

Last edited:
HI!
Just came from the studio/workshop, and here's a fresh set of pictures! :)

So, a couple of days ago I started making the Police eagle badge that goes on the helmet. I did the original with styrene:

1_zpsb55ec08c.jpg~original.jpg

Again, I used caulk silicone for the mold. This time I managed to push it in all corners with a brush, and the mold turned out quite good.

2_zpsc24e3bd7.jpg~original.jpg

If you look at the street cop pictures you can see all those badges were flat. I thought it would look totally s***ty to put a flat badge on a curved helmet so I decided to make it curved. I waited until the epoxy started hardening and quickly formed it around the helmet.

3_zps7cfa0923.jpg~original.jpg

One of the pulls was done with autobody filler. It worked ok:

4_zps3b44ec4a.jpg~original.jpg

The other pull was made with epoxy which worked even better since I managed to paint it black, just like the Rolling Stones did, of course:

5_zpsb899e3ce.jpg~original.jpg

Then a little bit of color:

7_zpse3c1faa4.jpg~original.jpg

And here it is! Looks ok I think. Though nothing can beat the real metal, I think it won't look like plastic on the film.

6_zpsc4c6cea8.jpg~original.jpg

I'm seriously thinking about experimenting with some primitive way of casting metal.. Pewter or solder.. Something soft. If it works I'll definitely tackle the 995 and FORCE badges too.

Whatever happens, you'll be the first to know!
Bye! :thumbsup

Last edited:
Excellent results (and the Casio is a must of course)...lead is a good metal to experiment with and very bendable ;)

Oh man, that Casio! :)

Just be careful if you're casting lead, okay? Be sure to do it in a WELL VENTILATED area and WEAR A PROPER RESPIRATOR. We really wanna see more of your stuff! (y)lol

You could try cold casting, a process whereby you dust the mold with a metal powder before pouring in your resin or epoxy. When you take the piece out, you can buff and polish the cast because it has a film of real metal coating it

Yo guys!

Yesterday we've made a first attempt at metal casting! We did it outside in the open air Ville, no worries. ;)
But it was a... failure! :lol Here's how it went!

For this test I wanted to make the collar badge that cops have on their.. collar! This thing:

br_badge_set_2_a_zps73c22f76.jpg~original.jpg

First I made a prototype out of styrene:

1_zpsb6999dd5.jpg~original.jpg

I went to the fishing store and bought some lead. I also bought the silicone that is used to seal stuff that heats a lot, like ovens and engines. On the package it said it can hold up to 300 degrees Celsius. We melted the lead with gas torch. It melts really easy, in 15 seconds.

2_zps6957e66b.jpg~original.jpg

Here you can see two molds I made. They resisted the heat just fine.

3_zpse461163b.jpg~original.jpg

But the problem is this:

4_zpsa5382dd6.jpg~original.jpg

Crappy cast! Too much air was trapped in the mold every time and every cast turned out like this. We tried to shake and vibrate the mold, but it did not help. The air just wouldn't escape. Perhaps this mold is too fine with those tight notches and molten metal can't get into them!?!

The things we learned:

Lead melts at 327.5 °C. It's not a problem to melt it, and simple silicone mold resisted the heat even though it said 300 °C on the packaging.
The lead is VERY HEAVY (not really some discovery :lol), but what I mean is that it's way too heavy for badges so I won't use it from now on.
I did also find some mysterious piece of metal at home (we suspect it was pewter) and we tried to make a cast from that too. The result was also bad, but at least the badge was much lighter.
The plan is to buy some pewter and conduct more tests. It melts at 170 °C so it is even easier to work with it.
It did occur to me later that we could have tried to powder the mold and try to eliminate bubbles that way, but at that point we were all too drunk. :cheers

Meanwhile the resin casts work great:

5_zpsc8052c05.jpg~original.jpg

So I can always have plastic badges for the film, It's not a problem. Haystack, apropos the cold casting, I don't think I could find the metal powders that easily here. It would probably improve the look of it, sure, but regular paint job will look good on the film too.
The thing is, I just want to figure out metal casting for a long time now, so it's more like a quest! :)

Last edited:
You have to get a candle and put the soot made by the flame on the mold. So your mold (I prefer plaster of Paris btw, not heat resistant resin) should be black! All of it covered in soot.
Then, you can pour your lead, pewter into it. Good luck!

P.S. If you use moulds made out of plaster, heat up the mold in the oven for a 10min. at low heat;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back