300 Leonidas Helmet Build

mandio222

Hi, im working on a Leonidas helmet, its a modify pepakura, i trying to make it as accurate as possible, and other than the shape of the dome i think is going well. But a long way to go.

28t7s3o.jpg

15q3dpf.jpg

Now, im in Argentina, and theres millons of horses here, but nobody sell horse hair, doesnt help that i live in the middle of a city. Because nazi like new restrictions i can buy it outside Argentina. Can i use synthetic wig hair? or is there any other alternative?
And i wasnt able to find any tutorial on how to make the plume, any tips, like how much hair is it used.

Tks

Last edited:
Re: 300 Leonidas helmet question

Great job thanks for sharing! As far as your plume situation goes; I've found horse hair is kind of it's own thing. I found your thread and did some searching of my own and came up with nothing. However given your situation, I do like the wig idea... most likely a cheaper synthetic wig with plenty of length would suffice. Cut it to length and if it's already black, I'd say get the plume where you want it and if it has too much sag, use some hair spray to stiffen it up of even a thinned glue lightly sprayed to the outer regions of the plum would stiffen it to your spec. On the other side if the wig isn't black to start then thinned paint might be your answer since I don't think a synthetic wig would hold a dye very good. As to the amount, your guess is as good as mine.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Re: 300 Leonidas helmet question

nice job on the helmet so far! i had a quick look for you and without getting horse hair i think you may struggle, if suggest doing a few tests with maby hair extensions (i wouldn't suggest cheep synthetic ones) because if you do some digging you could even find hair for wig making and that will probably hold dye a little better. in terms of you not being able to get actual horse hair that's a real bummer, all i can suggest that way is just keep trying and do your research because you might be able to find a supplier over the web or someone locally, the stuff is used to make violin bows so i presume there might be a way (though it may not be cheep). finally the last things i can really suggest are have a look through this RPF thread http://www.therpf.com/f24/horse-hair-plume-8365/ (there's a load of links in it) and have a look at something call 'stiffy'? i think its a little like hair spray but designed to be a little more permanent.
hope this helps and keep us posted on how its going! good luck!

Last edited:
Ok so after a lot of time i when back to it, was not happy with the dome shape so...
dy7w2d.jpg

And was able to give it the shape i wanted
xkxf9h.jpg

2uhvlg7.jpg

jpd2k0.jpg

Smuth it out, no to much bumps are good for a spartan helmet, corrected the nose, but it was to smuth, so i bit it up, recreating the pitting in the helmet...

23ivtav.jpg

But wasnt good enough, so using primer as if it were wet clay, i made texture al over the helmet with a sponge, i couldnt show it well in the pics but its really good in person.
2a6l3ie.jpg

219ucn5.jpg

Last edited:
looks good, hows the progress on this build? I was actually looking at the hero prop today and it had peacock feathers on the top. might want to look into that.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back