The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Build - Frontier Costuming Print FINISHED UPDATED POST #75

green ranger jr

Hi guys and gals!
I'm back with a new project (not that I've posted much on here) but I want to include you all and meet some new friends :)

I should probably start by giving a bit of an introduction. My name is Cam, I'm from the UK (Wales. Yes it's a different country than England) and I'm pretty obsessed with Spider-man.
I've already sewn together a dye-sub from Frontier Costuming which was brilliant (comic book style Spidey) So now I'm back to take on the latest suit from Amazing Spider-man 2.

I really want to go all out on this suit. As some of you might be aware, Stan Lee will be coming to the UK for his last ever event in July and I've got tickets to meet him! So I really want to impress him with my costume.

The plan is to have a Dye sub suit. Paint on the webs with 3D tulip paint. Make a faceshell and stick it all together!

This thread will be pretty pic heavy! I'll post my favorite snaps on here but will include a link to my Photobucket for you to browse through.

Due to a certain member I have had several problems with in the past I will be making sure that my face is featured in these progress shots, so I apologise in advance for my scruffy clothes and hair :p

Lets get started:

20/01/14
My lenses from TJack arrive.
Absolutely blown away by the quality!

01/02/14
Dye Sub arrives from Frontier Costuming.
Loving the way the colours came out, my original plan was to tulip paint all of the blue but it looks just as good without :)
Here's a picture after I cut it all out.

I had been testing out my tulip painting skills for weeks using some "henna" applicator bottles with fine metal tips, I had enough paint left from the tests to go ahead and do the palms & thumbs of the suit, here's how it turned out:

02/02/14

It's raining outside so I can't work on my motorcycle ... decide to go down to my workshop and make a faceshell! (and bore my girlfriend half to death)

The whole sculpt took me 2 hours to finish using TJacks Frames as reference for eye alignment.
Here's some WIP's

Got a bit carried away so I drew a quick web in the eye (just so you know it's my cast ;D)

I then used a heat gun to seal the clay enough to start putting the silicone on:

And that's where I'm at currently!

Sorry for making it a rather long first post but I've been rather productive over the weekend :)

I'm waiting for more puff paint to arrive and more silicone, updates to come soon!

Literally cannot thank TJack and Frontier Costuming enough for their amazing work.

Please give me some feedback what am I doing wrong? what am I doing right?
Would love some discussions.

That's all for now folks!

Amazing Spider-Man 2 Build Photos by cameron_shepherd1 | Photobucket

Last edited:
Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Costume Build - Frontier Costuming Print W.I.P

Amazing work on the faceshell! I wish I have even just half of the craftsmanship you have.

Thanks man :) Really looking forward to the paint arriving so I can get all these webs done! As soon as it's painted I've got a seamstress at the ready to sew it for me, if my sewing machine hadn't conked out on me I would have done it myself but a professional will sew it much better than I ever would

that looks great man. but how did you make the faceshell do you just paint he silicon on and then let it dry?

Looking good! I ordered the ASM2 print from Frontier, too, so I'm interested to see this whole thing come together. \o/ Soon as I post this, I'm gonna go hit the subscribe button.

Maybe it's an optical illusion, but the belt on your print looks like it has a "point" at the bottom/middle of it... like a Raimi, instead of straight across like the new ASM 2 costume.

Maybe it's an optical illusion, but the belt on your print looks like it has a "point" at the bottom/middle of it... like a Raimi, instead of straight across like the new ASM 2 costume.

I can't believe I didn't notice that! :L To be fair that is a bad photo of it, I had to lay out the print to check it out this morning! Turns out it isn't pointed but it does curve a bit lower than it probably should, I think once it's sewn together and stretched across me it shouldn't be to noticable

that looks great man. but how did you make the faceshell do you just paint he silicon on and then let it dry?

It's sculpted out of clay, the silicone is the mould I'm making for it. It needs a fair few more layers and an outer shell first but it was to late to do anything else on Sunday night! I'll be casting the faceshell out of polyurethane resins ;D

Last edited:

Sorry for double post, time for an update!
New Tulip paint arrived today so I decided to get some work done whilst I could :)

12712_517690361683277_1062822614_n.jpg1604866_517687235016923_1986811579_n.jpg1661977_517687181683595_674948806_n.jpg

Sorry I couldn't get very good lighting because of where I've had to balance my suit so no one disturbs it whilst the paint dries!

Made a couple mistakes (air bubble related mostly) to clean up the splodges I used some cotton wool and an alcohol based hand sanitiser, best method i've come up with for removing unwanted paint :)

More build pics, really racing through getting this done!

1904078_518889841563329_1312982003_n.jpg1779877_518886644896982_893653488_n.jpg1557571_518886688230311_1848801070_n.jpg

Just the Torso/head and arms left to do :)

great work my friend i wish i had the skill set an the know how. Keep it up. subscribed ;)

Which tulip paint u use for the webbings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok cool :) its looks awesome tho.
Does it need to be ironed?

Very nice!
I probably should have puff painted my suit before I sent it in to get it sewn too.
I'm also thinking of puff painting the blue part metallic silver but not sure.

I noticed you have the same applicator bottle as me, which adapter did you use for the webs?

Ok cool :) its looks awesome tho.
Does it need to be ironed?

Nope this stuff just sets as is, no ironing needed.

Very nice!
I probably should have puff painted my suit before I sent it in to get it sewn too.
I'm also thinking of puff painting the blue part metallic silver but not sure.

I noticed you have the same applicator bottle as me, which adapter did you use for the webs?

Which tulip paint u use for the webbings?

After testing them I used the biggest nib that came with it, can't remember how big it was :L

Here's some more progress:

Got the entire suit now painted, will be sending to the seamstress this week and then covering up the seams with more webs!

IMG_1491.JPGIMG_1495.JPG

Haven't got any pics but i've finished up the faceshell mould, won't be able to make a cast for a couple of week unfortunately since I'm gonna be busy doing my motorcycle test this weekend, between that my job and a new tattoo I'm a little low on time!

What did you use for your face she'll?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back