Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
    From
    Vancouver, WA
    Nov 13, 2016, 6:05 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #26

@ Jaran: Wow.. That looks great. Sorry I didn't reply Reality has kept me real busy.. I do intend to redo it. It was one of the first things I have ever modeled and Know I know an awful lot more. Regarding the crests Who knows !

- - - Updated - - -
    @Tildane : Were you using Card stock or Paper ? back when I made it I put it together using 110lb card stock and It has only just started to show signs of Sagging. I built it well over a year ago now and its been sat in my garage just gathering dust.
  2. RPF Janitor RPF Premium Member Lear60man's Avatar
    Nov 14, 2016, 3:10 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #27

You probably already know this but the upper lip on the chin surround should be made in a separate piece. Preferable something translucent as it lights up.

Other thoughts as we worked on one at Icons. The horizontal lines on both sides of the front were just off the shelf plastruct....dont remember the size. Other observation was the two earpieces and main emblem (eagle or horse) were separate. So in all, you have the base helmet, lighted jaw bar, two earpieces and the emblem.

Cool fun project.
    From
    Vancouver, WA
    Nov 14, 2016, 3:20 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #28

@Lear60man Thanks for the info I'll bare it in mind when I get round to the remake.
  4. Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Dec 21, 2016, 11:44 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #29

I've been wanting to make one of these since the 70's and now my kid is really bugging me for a Colonial Warrior helmet, so I downloaded this file and although overall it looks great I must admit it's got a few glitches. There should be a little more of an underside brim around the upper light bar. There are polygon defects around the 3 front recessed details and also at the bottom concave curve on the sides (I'm quite nit-picky about misbehaving polygons). The top and bottom light bars should be separate objects so they can be pepped separately as vacuum-forming molds and attached as clear parts to extended plain faces on the helmet. The unfold and parts arrangement isn't very optimal and wastes a lot of paper. Thank you so much for getting 90% of the work done for me on a much better shaped Pepakura helmet than anything else I've found online. I'm going to a port the model over to my CAD software and clean up the glitches, separate the light bars, extend the faces where clear light bar parts would attach, and redo the unfold optimized for Silhouette Cameo and "flapless" pepping for a smoother surface with less finishing work. Gonna make one for myself as a mentor while my kid makes his. I won't upload the modified file but could share it with you if you like. With your permission I'll post a photo after we get them pepped (could be a couple months before they're done - I'm supposed to be working on Halo armor.... )

Edit: After bringing the model into my CAD software the polygon glitches aren't there, so they must just be in the .pdo file (something went screwy when creating the Pepakura file). Strangely I'm seeing 4 missing faces on the helmet's back (easy enough to fill in). The crest looks like it's too flat? It seems like it should stick out from the helmet more?
    Last edited by chappaai; Dec 22, 2016 at 12:21 AM.
    From
    Vancouver, WA
    Dec 23, 2016, 12:18 AM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #30

@chappaai Its all good This was, if I remember right, My first attempt at 3d modelling. so there are bound to be flaws. The Driving force behind me making is was that I wanted it in Pep form so I decided to get out there learn new skills and make it. Feel free to edit away. If you can improve on this then by all means do So, Id sure be interested in your edit. (mail it to xaosbringer@hotmail,com) I do plan on revisiting it once I have completed my current project (40k Eldar Weaponry not posted yet). but that could take Months to complete. Regarding the crest. I couldn't find a decent source image for it so I eyeballed it the best I could so its gonna be pretty inaccurate. G'luk in making it.
  6. Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Dec 29, 2016, 6:58 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #31

Thanks. I've found a lot of the surfaces to be "warped" and uneven so I've decided to remodel most of it using splines. I haven't decided yet whether I'll make a .stl file for 3D printing this, or dumb it down afterwards for making a .pdo file, or both. Even if I make a .pdo version, I think I'll still make a .stl for the light bars. 3D printing them hollow with translucent PLA will be much easier than pepping them, smoothing them, and then vacuum forming. I'll send you the results when I get the edits finished.
    Jan 11, 2017, 1:44 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #32

Great job on the helmet ! Thanks for sharing it , Cheers,

Joe
    From
    Vancouver, WA
    Jan 11, 2017, 4:30 PM - Re: TOS Colonial Warrior Viper Helmet #33

Hi Folks.

I just removed the 4shared link. Im not 100% happy with the way they have started to do things but then that's their choice. Anyone wants the file I will gladly email them it. Until I find somewhere else to upload it. then Ill link it here.